Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: personal_switch.2da doesn't work?  (Read 2925 times)

July 22, 2020, 12:25:46 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but the personal_switch.2da included in the archive doesn't seem to work.  I modified a few switches and put it into override, but when I tell the game to read the personal_switch.2da through the radial menu, it has no effect. Is a specific program necessary to edit 2da's?  I've been using notepad++.  Is there something else I'm doing wrong?

July 25, 2020, 10:00:15 AM
Reply #1

You likely have two copies, one buried deeply on a steam folder. It's overwriting your changes.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

July 26, 2020, 05:26:17 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Thank you for the reply.  I searched both the Steam and Documents folders and there is only one copy of the file, the one I put in Override.  I did double check that it had my changes.  Now, I noticed that apparently I downloaded the mod a few days before an update.  I'm using v39.  Was this a known bug?

Just to be sure, because I'm not as sharp as I was twenty years ago, to use it in game I go to the radial menu and select: special abilities, class, prc options, alter code switches, read personal_switch.2da and set switches based on its content, exit.

July 29, 2020, 01:06:29 PM
Reply #3

The update would have overwritten your changes. We don't recommend using Steam Workshop as a result. The Vault link is much more in line with how NWN is designed.

The PRC automatically reads in the switches when starting a new module. You only need to force update when changing things on a saved game.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

July 29, 2020, 07:51:30 PM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

There is some confusion here.  I do have the game from Steam, but I downloaded the mod in an archive from the NWVault around a week before the latest version was posted.  I have not updated it in my game.  I only mentioned the update in case the fact that I am using the previous version was relevant.  I'm sorry for the confusion.  I installed the mod following the instructions, using the appropriate module updater program included in the archive, then after playing around with the game for a bit I opened the personal_switch.2da from the archive, changed a few switches, and saved it to override.  I didn't even realize there was an update until I started looking for an answer to this problem.