Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Warblade tips please  (Read 18061 times)

September 14, 2012, 07:21:34 PM
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:31:12 PM by magpie45 »

September 15, 2012, 07:18:10 AM
Reply #1

September 16, 2012, 04:55:48 PM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Thinking of going mainly diamond mind and iron heart,but really need too know if they are functional before making char.
also,anyone know what the epic progression is as im muticlassing with rogue and this will make the build either 30/10  or  34/6

September 17, 2012, 07:20:41 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

So without a spellbookk style window to organise my skills/abilities as a warblade I kind of don't want to play one anymore, I'm wondering, if I take away my Warblade levels in debug mode except for my first level, and then continue solely as fighter, will I keep the ability to switch my weapon-specific feats over to new weapons when I rest?

September 17, 2012, 11:50:08 AM
Reply #4
  • Developer
    • View Profile

...if I take away my Warblade levels in debug mode except for my first level, and then continue solely as fighter, will I keep the ability to switch my weapon-specific feats over to new weapons when I rest?

You've probably figured this out already, but the answer is yes.

September 17, 2012, 03:50:05 PM
Reply #5
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Well, I played warblade many times and it's one of my favorite classes, sooo...

Diamond Mind and Iron Heart are definitely functional, but you need to know what to pick. In general, I recommend multiclassing and entering Warblade as late as possible. Also, try to write down character progress, noting which maneuvers on which levels will you take. There are requirements, which can make getting a maneuver impossible.

Overall, entering warblade late lets you get higher level maneuvers right away, which is important as there's no maneuver swapping implemented. So, if you enter warblade at 5, you have access to maneuvers of level 2. At level 9, level 3 maneuvers are available. Honestly, things at level 1 and 2 are useful, but nothing gamebreaking. Minotaur's Charge is nice. From the stances, Punishing Stance is worth looking at. Blood in the Water can be nice, but it's just a +1 to hit and damage. Stacking is not implemented (hard to code).

Level 3 maneuvers are a different story. Insightful Strike lets you hit for very nice damage. White Raven Tactics is broken in PnP, but doesn't seem to work in NWN (I didn't test it very thoroughly though). Iron Heart Surge is simply amazing, allowing you to shrug off ability damage, level drain and many other things. Others aren't that spectacular.

4th level maneuvers -> Mithral Tornado. Extremely useful when dealing with many foes. Also, I recommend Lightning Recovery, it's a free, addittional attack with a bonus to hit which does not cost you an action. Otherwise, Ruby Nightmare Blade is strong if you focus on slow, powerful hits. I don't really remember other schools ;)

Level 5 is pretty forgettable, nothing really worth using IMO. Pick what you feel is best.

As for level 6, three awesome maneuvers here. My Wizard/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage abused the hell out of Iron Heart Endurance - healing twice your level every second round while beating on enemies was -very- strong. Greater Insightful Strike is twice as strong as the regular one, and there are ways to skyrocket your concentration roll. And last but not least - Moment of Alactrity. This maneuver acts as a one round time stop. It's a swift action, so you can attack during this round. Time stop your enemies every second turn? Hell yeah!

Level 7 is pretty forgettable again, but feel free to test the maneuvers. I might have missed something ;) Ah! Avalanche of Blades - test it out, especially, when you cast true strike before you use it (I believe there are items which have true strike on them).

Level 8 is all about Adamantine Hurricane. Two attacks against each enemy in range, at highest AB+4? Simply amazing. You can also try White Raven Hammer - repeatable stun is always welcome ( never used this maneuver though) and Diamond Nightmare Blade - the effect is awesome when you crit with a two-handed weapon and deal quadruple damage.

Level 9 - everything here is good, though I am not sure if War Master's Charge works.

Ideas are bulletproof.

September 17, 2012, 04:23:34 PM
Reply #6
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Excellant!  this is just what i needed,just when i needed it!,thankyou! :D

September 18, 2012, 09:38:21 PM
Reply #7
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

One final poser,does the class progress beyond lvl 20?

September 19, 2012, 12:35:45 PM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

One final poser,does the class progress beyond lvl 20?
Yes

September 20, 2012, 02:52:48 AM
Reply #9
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

But you gain no new maneuvers. You can have 40 levels in warblade, but I am not sure if you would want to have more than 20.
Ideas are bulletproof.

September 20, 2012, 06:11:27 AM
Reply #10
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Ah,thats wht I thought might be the case,hmm maybe go 20 WB/10 Rog/10 Ftr then...we'll see . 

Thankyou too all :)

September 21, 2012, 08:59:14 AM
Reply #11
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Look at Bloodclaw Master, Eternal Blade, Deepstone Sentinel (well, maybe not that one because I still plan on making one on Harrowport someday XD). Master of Nine has incredible flavor as well, though requires multiclassing as either Crusader or Swordsage, or another prestige class to gain access to the sixth discipline. Also, not everything works - i didn't test the class thoroughly. Never tried Bloodclaw Master and Eternal Blade only in test module. I played NWN OC with a Deepstone Sentinel... Generally playable, I believe one ability doesn't work, one was kinda bugged in player's favor. Fun class in general.
Ideas are bulletproof.

September 29, 2012, 05:09:12 PM
Reply #12
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Unless you expect a lot of enemies to be immune to criticals, Weaponmaster can be worked into a Warblade if you're willing to deal with the feat requirements.  It does delay your maneuvers if you take it immediately, but Diamond Nightmare Blade critting with a Greataxe will oneshot anything that isn't immune to criticals.  Eternal Blade is alright if you're willing to put up with the racial requirement.

Because of how standard action strikes are handled, it's rarely worth it to use them after you get iterative attacks unless they either do enough damage to be worth it, like Diamond Nightmare Blade, or if they add extra attacks compared to a full attack, like Time Stands Still and Adamantine Hurricane.  Swift action abilities that allow you to attack are invaluable, though.  I'm surprised that Raging Mongoose wasn't mentioned - unlike its lower level equivalent, Raging Mongoose also works with two-handed weapons because it doesn't just use Wolf Fang Strike for its effect.  It's a very, very strong maneuver for any kind of Warblade.

Also, not getting much past level 20 isn't an oversight at all; there's no ToB material for epic levels.

October 01, 2012, 04:56:23 AM
Reply #13
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Well, I guess I just had trouble getting Dancing and Raging Mongoose to work, I also wasn't really building any dual-wielding characters in my test modules. If it works, it's worth taking by all means.

Also, sometimes it's better to use adamantine hurricane vs one opponent because of getting two attacks at highest AB+4, while normally you would have attacks at +0,-5,-10,-15. Avalanche of Blades is also good because your next attacks suffer lower penalties... And with True Strike it's outright broken when you can make like 9 hits (Avalanche only checks the first strike, if first hits, you get to make 12 attacks).
Ideas are bulletproof.

October 02, 2012, 02:26:42 PM
Reply #14
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Dancing Mongoose doesn't work unless you're TWF because it's handled by having an instant Wolf Fang Strike represent the boost.  Raging Mongoose is handled differently, which is why you can use it with a two-handed weapon.