Neverwinter Nights > Prestige Classes

Fate Spinner from Tome & Blood

(1/2) > >>

william_iii:
Hello everyone, long time no c  ;) & how‘ everything going, xwarren  ;D

I just saw a build called "King of DC"... although we seem to have got PRC's final version, I still think it's a little bit pity that Fate Spinner hasn't been added.

There's another version in Complete Arcane, which is pointless due to absense of Luck to the Wind. I think the one in Tome & Blood is more attractive, though 5 caster levels lost.

Here's detail description in the book...

william_iii:
Fatespinner

“Keep trying. I have a feeling your luck will change—soon”.

Some people are lucky. Others, less so. And a few make their own luck.

A fatespinner (also called a «mage of many fates») has pulled back the curtain of chance, circumstance, and chaos to glimpse a deeper truth: probability. When one event occurs, innumerable possible ones do not, as the universe blindly seeks balance. Through his newfound understanding, the fatespinner satisfies that unthinking drive—with prejudice. He can increase the probability of events in his favor, at the expense of a greater probability of undesirable events.

Any arcane spellcaster who has cursed his bad luck is a potential candidate for this prestige class. Who has not fired off a spell, hoping fervently but impotently for a particular outcome, or sadly noted the astounding luck of an enemy who resists spell after spell? The fatespinner is all about applying some control over the seeming vagaries of chance—fortune for himself, misfortune for his foes.

NPC fatespinners are often found in positions of power and authority, as would be expected from those able to directly affect their own destiny. Others continue to ply the world, honing their abilities and seeking their ultimate fortune.

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a fatespinner, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Knowledge (arcana): 8 ranks.
Knowledge (any): 8 ranks.
Spells: Ability to cast arcane spells of 3rd level or higher.
Special: The fatespinner must have avoided death (or severe calamity) by the machinations of fate. For instance, if he misses a ferry crossing to the nearby Isle of Sadonne due to a strange premonition that caused him to tarry overlong at the landing, and learns that the ferry was lost with all aboard to a sudden storm, it can be said that fate has spared him.

Class  Skills
The fatespinner’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intuit Direction (Wis), Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis), Scry (Int, exclusive skill), Search (Int), and Spellcraft (Int). See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2+Int modifier

Class Features
All the following are class features of the fatespinner prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A fatespinner gains no additional proficiency in any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: At every second level gained in the fatespinner class, as well as at 7th level, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of controlling or rebuking undead, metamagic or item creation feats, hit points beyond those he receives from the prestige class, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a fatespinner, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Spin Fate (Ex): The mage of many fates understands that "chance" is less random than many believe, and he can adjust the probability of certain events. This is an extraordinary ability. When a fatespinner casts a spell that allows a saving throw, he can choose to subtract 2 from the spell’s save DC (making it easier for the target to resist)—neither more nor less. He stores the 2 points as a sort of spell karma called "spin". Each time he so adjusts a spell, he accumulates another 2 points of spin. At any one time, the fatespinner can store a maximum spin value equal to his caster level (the total of all spellcasting class levels, including this prestige class). For example, a 5th-level wizard/1st-level fatespinner can store up to 6 points of spin at any one time. The fatespinner can use accumulated spin to boost the save DC of other spells he casts, adding up to 3 points of spin to any one spell. Thus, the above 5th-level wizard/1st-level fatespinner can increase the Will save DC of a charm person spell he casts by up to +3. If he spends all 3 points, his spin «balance» drops to 3. Sometimes more points are subtracted from save DCs than can be accumulated as spin. In this case, the excess is lost. If the above spellcaster were to reduce the save DCs of two spells before using his spin again, he would accumulate 4 points of spin. Since his maximum is 6 not 7, the extra point is lost. Note: You can’t cheat fate. A fatespinner accumulates no spin from casting spells on targets who voluntarily fail their saving throws. Nor can he accumulate spin by reducing the save DC of a benign spell cast on a friend or a meaningless inanimate object. Only where the outcome of the spell is important to the fatespinner’s own fate can he use this ability.

Resist Fate (Ex): At 2nd level, the fatespinner develops extraordinary good luck. Once per day, may reroll one roll that he has just made. He must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. If the fatespinner has levels of cleric with the Luck domain, this benefit stacks with that domain’s granted power.

Fickle Finger of Fate (Ex): On reaching 3rd level, the fatespinner gains the extraordinary ability to affect the luck of others. Once per day, he may reroll one roll that another creature—friend or enemy—has just made. That creature must take the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.
Fickle finger of fate takes place outside the normal initiative order? but fatespinner still can't use it if he is caught flat-footed. He must be able to see the recipient to use this ability.
Note: The fatespinner must decide whether to reroll before the results of the roll in question are applied; otherwise he must wait for another opportunity. He is not automatically privy to the rolls of others, especially enemies, but it is usually easy to tell when a creature makes a saving throw or hits a target. The fatespinner player should notify the DM prior to a foes roil, stating his intention to use this ability immediately if the outcome appears undesirable.

As Fate Would Have It: At 4th and 8th level, fate conspires with circumstance to bring about a useful, if rather mundane, result. The fatespinner learns a bonus metamagic feat.

Spin Destiny (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, the fatespinner more clearly apprehends the matrix of reality and can use accumulated spin to ajust other "random" events. The method is identical to increasing a spell’s save DC, but the fatespinner can now add spin to boost any skill check, attack roll, or saving throw. However, he can’t substract points from these checks to accumulate spin.
In addition, he can apply a number of points of spin up to his caster level (which is still the maximum spin he can store) to skill checks, attack rolls, or saving throws. For example, a 5th-level wizard/5th-level fatespinner could apply up to 10 points of spin to a desired check, assuming had enough scored.

Deny Fate (Ex): At 6th level, the fatespinner’s control of chance becomes stronger. He can now reroll a roll, as with Resist Fate, twice per day. This also stacks with the Luck domains granted power.

Luck to the Wind (Ex): On reaching 7th level, the mage of many fates can appease chance by ”throwing luck to the wind”. This is an extraordinary ability. He chooses whether or not to use this power each time he casts a spell that allows a saving throw. The save DC for a spell so adjusted is 1d20+ spell level+caster’s Charisma or Intelligence modifier (whichever is greater). The fatespinner rolls the d20 when he casts the spell. He can also enhance the spells by adding up to 3 points of spin to the spell’s save DC, or accumulate spin by deducting 2 points from it, but not both. This cannot be further adjusted by other abilities such as spin destiny.

Seal Fate (Sp): At 9th level, the fatespinner can meddle in matters literally of life and death. Once per day, he can attempt to seal the fate of one other creature as a spell-like ability. As a standard action, the fatespinner selects a size Large or smaller target creature he can see within 100 feet and speaks the words, ”Your fate is sealed”. The target must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 20) or die. Even if the save is successful (or if the Target is Huge or larger), it instead takes 3d6+13 points of damage. The fatespinner may add spin to increase the Fortitude save DC, the amount of damage dealt, or both, as desired.

Favored One: On attaining 10th level, the fatespinner is favored by chance, rising above the common animal caught in the web of reality it can’t see or appreciate. His type changes to ”outsider”, which means (among other things) that he is no longer affected by spells that specifically target humanoids, such as charm person, but he can be hedged out by a magic circle spell against his alignment. The Favored One can store a maximum value of spin equal to twice his caster level.

william_iii:
So are there any plans for next release? Or I'll try it myself  ;)

Loggy:
Spin Fate - theoretically possible but I can see that it'd be a little difficult to prevent spin "farming" as it were. Saying that, I do see a way to do it.

Resist Fate/Deny fate - loses most of its attraction as you can't choose exactly what to reroll in NWN. It'd have to be something you can turn on that would automatically reroll your next save.

Fickle Finger of Fate - you could make this force the target to reroll their next successful save, but apart from that... not really.

Spin Destiny - possible, but it'd be horrific to use and implement.

Luck to the Wind - much simpler than other things above.

Seal Fate - by the time you've implemented the rest, this should be straightforward.

Favoured One - it'd just be a modification of the stuff above.

All in all, it'd be so fiddly to play with that I'm not sure it's worth it. I find psionics bad enough, but this would be quite a lot worse.

william_iii:

--- Quote from: Loggy on November 05, 2013, 09:46:03 AM ---Spin Fate - theoretically possible but I can see that it'd be a little difficult to prevent spin "farming" as it were. Saying that, I do see a way to do it.

Resist Fate/Deny fate - loses most of its attraction as you can't choose exactly what to reroll in NWN. It'd have to be something you can turn on that would automatically reroll your next save.

Fickle Finger of Fate - you could make this force the target to reroll their next successful save, but apart from that... not really.

Spin Destiny - possible, but it'd be horrific to use and implement.

Luck to the Wind - much simpler than other things above.

Seal Fate - by the time you've implemented the rest, this should be straightforward.

Favoured One - it'd just be a modification of the stuff above.

All in all, it'd be so fiddly to play with that I'm not sure it's worth it. I find psionics bad enough, but this would be quite a lot worse.

--- End quote ---

As you say, it's an irony that the strongest feat is easiest. Maybe many will still choose this class even if it only contains this one feature ;D

The fate point system is challenging. Several variables & a group of feats have to be implemented just like what was done in psionic system, and spinning from harmless or none-saving spells should be abandoned. Don't worry, I think the most common way should be gathering points from spells then using them simply in a Seal Fate ;D But by now I'm even not sure how to change wizard spell DC in PrC...

Rerolling... I hate them. I think it only works well in slow paper game but not in computer. Difficult both to implement and to use, I think maybe we can just change them into some saving throw bonus spells?

I still believe it'll be a great class. The special requirement is hard to meet in D&D but is nothing in NWN -- you can just take the class and make a story in brain ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version