Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Persistent Spell  (Read 7035 times)

December 24, 2013, 10:30:26 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Is it possible to add this one?
http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-arcane--55/persistent-spell--2140/

Persistent Spell

( Complete Arcane, p. 81)

[Metamagic]

You can make a spell last all day.
Prerequisite
Extend Spell (PH) ,
Benefit
Spells with a fixed or personal range can have their duration increased to 24 hours. Spells of instantaneous duration cannot be affected by this feat, nor can spells whose effects are discharged. You don't need to maintain concentration on persistent detect spells (such as detect magic or detect thoughts) for you to be aware of the mere presence or absence of the subject detected, but gaining additional information requires concentration as normal. A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell's actual level.

I really miss this one with my gish characters.
Thanks in advance!

December 24, 2013, 11:01:59 AM
Reply #1
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

If memory serves, Bioware kinda stopped anyone adding more metamagic effects.

I think it would theoretically be possible if everyone used the new spellbook system, but as it is wizards, clerics and druids do not. I suppose that could be done, but it's no small change. Then there's the issue of actually implementing the effect, which would require modifying every single spell script that it could possibly be triggered on. That's definitely possible but time-consuming.

If you just want the effect, it would not be terribly difficult to create an items and scripts for each persistent spell you want that you could just shove into your override folder and spawn in-game - providing you're not using the bioware spellbooks to cast. If you do, things are a little more difficult but it could still be done.

December 28, 2013, 06:49:55 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

There aren't that many spells that could be persisted, only those from levels 0 to 3 (+6cl). The one that really matters is true strike! +20 to attack for 24h as a 7th level spell is great! =D

I don't think it's worthy the trouble, thanks for the answer!
:)

December 28, 2013, 10:02:40 AM
Reply #3

Persistent Power would be good, too:
http://dndtools.eu/feats/psionics-handbook-30--46/persistent-power--2138/

I suspect there was some post-3.0 nerf-age (back to L3 or lower psi powers), though.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

December 28, 2013, 04:23:11 PM
Reply #4
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Erm...

Persistent power + timeless body anyone?

That could be done quite a lot easier, but isn't that a tad too powerful?

December 28, 2013, 08:21:41 PM
Reply #5

Had seen TB abuse. There was some debate that the manifester was immune to spells / powers, but the persistent TB could be dispelled (ala Mord's D, Epic Spell: Superb Dispel).

Sounds like the Persistent implement (both spells & psi) is too much aggro for not much gaming experience. Pretty sure most PRC-ers get that.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist