Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Silly, but...  (Read 3910 times)

March 13, 2017, 11:57:12 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

OK, this is kind of silly.  But... I HOTU chap 3 there is the Mimic.  The crawling treasure chest.  In honor of Sir Terry Pratchett I would like to be able to turn into 'The Luggage'.  When I arrive at the Mimic's Nest I can use 'learn shape' and be told I need a few more levels to learn it.  If I cheat (or use a higher level character) I'm then told that I can not learn the Mimic.  Is there a way to fix this?  Without a ton of work?

RIP PTERRY ... If I can figure a way to make this works I'll make a new human magician with the worst stats ever (: 

OTOH, Rincewind cant be a shifter...  How about 'The Luggage' as a companion or familiar? On the gripping hand , he DID get a whole army of clay golems O_o 

March 14, 2017, 06:41:53 PM
Reply #1

Longhsot #1:
NWN2, but might work https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/model/mimic

I don't know how to import, so xwarren may need to help out.

If the NWN2 mimic imports correctly, you should (??) be able to open up the module and learn it that way. Even if you didn't get the stats, there should (??) be a way to at least get the body model & move around. Note that the model may not have been set up to move upon command and just hardwired to move randomly.

Longshot #2 from a shameless non-coder.

You will need a coder's help with this. Your Shifter script is probably (??) pointing to a pre-generated creature tag for model & powers. If you can make a copy of that script and insert the Mimic creature tag "hx_mimic" - that might (??) work.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:06:43 PM by ThE LoSt BoY »
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

March 17, 2017, 08:46:34 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Longhsot #1:
NWN2, but might work https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/model/mimic

I don't know how to import, so xwarren may need to help out.

If the NWN2 mimic imports correctly, you should (??) be able to open up the module and learn it that way. Even if you didn't get the stats, there should (??) be a way to at least get the body model & move around. Note that the model may not have been set up to move upon command and just hardwired to move randomly.

Longshot #2 from a shameless non-coder.

You will need a coder's help with this. Your Shifter script is probably (??) pointing to a pre-generated creature tag for model & powers. If you can make a copy of that script and insert the Mimic creature tag "hx_mimic" - that might (??) work.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response.  I think I managed to finally answer my own question today...

Well, I dug into the source file(s) for the .hak(s) and found that for some reason the pnp shifter can not learn/shift shapeshifter or fey creatures.  And the mimic in XP2 is in fact classed as a shapeshifter (makes sense).  I was able to make a new creature in a test module that has the same look and stuff as the mimic and that worked fine.

Also explains why throughout the OC and Xpacs I could not learn any of the werecreature or fairies.

Still not sure why the pnp shifter excludes feys and shapeshifters from learnables. I'm guessing it is in the actual pnp rules.  I haven't played pnp in ages so would not know.