Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Eldritch Blast and Touch AC  (Read 7395 times)

July 22, 2011, 09:26:33 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm playing a Catfolk Warlock in 3.5.  I finished up the OC as a level 15 Warlock with 20 base Dex +10 from equipment, and 10 BAB.  The minimum non-critical miss ranged touch attack roll for Eldritch Blast was 22, with the average being 30.  And I missed.  A shocking amount.
The mooks weren't much of a problem.  Named enemies/boss enemies seemed to have absurd Touch AC.  For most of them, I could only hit on a roll of 16 or better.   That's 16 + 10 + 10 = 36.

I'm seeing the same problem in Shadows of Undrentide.  Lowly named Kobolds are easily avoiding my respectable ranged touch attack rolls.

Is Eldritch Blast not actually acting as a Ranged Touch Attack?  Or might the problem be abnromally high touch AC?  My initial thought was that some bosses might be receiving a Dodge bonus to AC to make them harder to hit, especially because dodge bonuses stack with their other bonuses to AC.  It would have the unfortunate effect of making them very hard to tag with touch attacks.

Thanks.

July 22, 2011, 10:57:15 PM
Reply #1

Or might the problem be abnormally high touch AC? 

How to figure out if this is the issue:

1.) Make a copy of the appropriate .nwm file in the NWM directory.

2.) Change the extension to .mod & move it to the "Modules" folder in your NWN directory.

3.) Open this file in the toolset & find them in the creature palette.  If you right click on the heading you can run a search query for them.

Good luck.
HEATSTROKE

July 23, 2011, 01:33:30 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

*headsmack*
I'm an idiot.  Thank you for reminding about the toolset.

First monster that comes to mind that my 3.5 knowledge tells me should be an easy target is a dragon.  The Guardian White Dragon from the Snowglobe kept shrugging off all but my highest rolls.  In the Toolset, he shows as having 10 base AC, 10 dex, and a -2 size modifier.  My understanding is that NWN ignores size modifiers to touch AC, which should mean he has a mere 10 touch AC.  With 10 BAB alone and no negative modifiers, nothing but a roll of natural 1 should miss.

His regular AC is 37.  With 10 BAB and a +10 dex modifiers, that would make a roll of 17 or greater a hit.   That seems to concur with my experience, though I obviously have to go back and determine the actual numbers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:35:07 AM by Winla »

July 24, 2011, 02:44:13 PM
Reply #3

*headsmack*
I'm an idiot.  Thank you for reminding about the toolset.

First monster that comes to mind that my 3.5 knowledge tells me should be an easy target is a dragon.  The Guardian White Dragon from the Snowglobe kept shrugging off all but my highest rolls.  In the Toolset, he shows as having 10 base AC, 10 dex, and a -2 size modifier.  My understanding is that NWN ignores size modifiers to touch AC, which should mean he has a mere 10 touch AC.  With 10 BAB alone and no negative modifiers, nothing but a roll of natural 1 should miss.

His regular AC is 37.  With 10 BAB and a +10 dex modifiers, that would make a roll of 17 or greater a hit.   That seems to concur with my experience, though I obviously have to go back and determine the actual numbers.

Did you look at his creature hide to see if he has any deflection AC there?
HEATSTROKE

July 24, 2011, 06:50:35 PM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

No.  Argh, it's been so long since I've touched the toolset.

Guardian White Dragon's creature hide has no AC modifiers.  Just some DR, fire vulnerability, assorted immunities, SR, and True Seeing.

August 23, 2011, 02:20:46 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

I did some research and it turns out that our script that calculate touch AC can't subtract bonus AC set in Toolset.

Toolset AC bonus for white dragon is 29 (10 base - 2 size modifier = 37 total). 37 is also the value returned by script, so yeah it might be a bit hard to hit him.

Anyone know a workaround for this? Preferably without use of NWNX.

August 23, 2011, 03:24:48 PM
Reply #6

I did some research and it turns out that our script that calculate touch AC can't subtract bonus AC set in Toolset.

Toolset AC bonus for white dragon is 29 (10 base - 2 size modifier = 37 total). 37 is also the value returned by script, so yeah it might be a bit hard to hit him.

Anyone know a workaround for this? Preferably without use of NWNX.

Can you get the total AC & then subtract base & armor AC & size mod & then add it to the touch attack roll?

Total AC - (Base AC + Armor AC) = Touch attack modifier
HEATSTROKE

August 23, 2011, 03:35:14 PM
Reply #7
    • View Profile

That's more or less what the script is doing - Gets total AC and subtracts armor/shield/natural AC but it can't subtract the bonus set in Toolset.

August 25, 2011, 03:31:56 PM
Reply #8
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to get the AC by summing it from the appropriate equipment, buffs, and stats?