Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Problem with the epic staff crafting  (Read 5306 times)

August 17, 2011, 06:55:54 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Hello,

I have read in the PRC manual (and I also have seen it in a module with the PRC) that a user with the Epic staff crafting can set until 8 properties in a crafted staff, and can cast metamagic spells on it too.
So, I have tried to do this with a character that has the feat (archmage1/wizard38), but all that I have is a staff with an ordinary spell.

So... how does it work ? And a metamagic spell in a staff counts for 1 or 2 properties ? And is there a way to increase the caster level or the DC of a spell in the staff, as I have seen in the module ?
Thanks a lot.

P.S: Sorry, my english is a bit (or a lot) faulty, because I'm not english ;).

August 17, 2011, 07:18:34 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Hello,

I have read in the PRC manual (and I also have seen it in a module with the PRC) that a user with the Epic staff crafting can set until 8 properties in a crafted staff, and can cast metamagic spells on it too.
So, I have tried to do this with a character that has the feat (archmage1/wizard38), but all that I have is a staff with an ordinary spell.

So... how does it work ? And a metamagic spell in a staff counts for 1 or 2 properties ? And is there a way to increase the caster level or the DC of a spell in the staff, as I have seen in the module ?
Thanks a lot.

P.S: Sorry, my english is a bit (or a lot) faulty, because I'm not english ;).

Metamagic is added as an additional item property. So if you create staff with empowered fireball you'll have 2 properties:
- cast spell: Fireball (5)
- cast spell: Fireball (5) (metamagic: empower) (well... something like this)

As for caster level and DC you have 2 options:
- set PRC_CRAFT_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL switch on your module (I think you can do that through PRC Options dialog) - will only work for staves crafted by you
- set PRC_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL switch - all staves will use your caster level if it's higher than the item's.

August 17, 2011, 08:04:44 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Thanks, for the DC and caster level, it works fine (but I can't understand how the DC is calculate. I have an intelligence bonus of 14 and a bonus to DC of evocation's spells of 4 (Greater spell focus), but the DC of the staff's spell when I cast a fireball is 29. Shouldn't be of 31 ?).

And in fact, I cannot, as I said, craft epic magic staffs. When I cast for exemple a fireball spell increased with Maximize spell, all that I gain is a staff with a normal fireball spell. Do you know what this problem can be ?

Thanks.

August 20, 2011, 10:37:06 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm sorry to ask it again, but... is there anybody who can tell me how to cast a metamagic spell on an epic staff, please ?

Thanks.

P.S: And for the DC, I have made a little error, all seems to work fine.

August 20, 2011, 12:26:09 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

It's probably an error, but metamagic works only when PRC_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL switch is set.

This is what you should see after crafting is completed:
(sorry - non english NWN, Ognista Kula = Fireball):

August 20, 2011, 12:57:45 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Hello,

thanks, but it didn't worked, so I searched a little in the codes, and I've found the right code to set: PRC_CRAFT_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL.
If the code PRC_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL is set, the DC used is the caster level and not the staff caster level.
Thanks a lot again  :D.

August 20, 2011, 01:14:34 PM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

Hello,

thanks, but it didn't worked, so I searched a little in the codes, and I've found the right code to set: PRC_CRAFT_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL.
If the code PRC_STAFF_CASTER_LEVEL is set, the DC used is the caster level and not the staff caster level.
Thanks a lot again  :D.

My mistake, sorry.