Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Beginner Help  (Read 4464 times)

September 23, 2011, 06:57:54 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Hi, my name is Nel and I need some beginner help. I am quite familiar with NWN2 and in seeking more challenges I decided to install NWN1 a while ago. I finished the OC without any hackpacks, but found it to be terribly bland compared to NWN2. A friend pointed me to the NWN PRC, and I have been browsing the site since. There is SO much info that I just couldn't make up my mind on how to start out. After days, I just decided to start a character for SotU and see what happens. A week into my game, I've come at a crossroads though, and now I find myself still overwhelmed by the amount of choices

I created a Mul Sorcerer that I kind of want to see taking the Acolyte of the Skin route. It's a roleplay character that focuses only a bit on magic and mostly on melee (fixed 16 charisma, limiting spell levels + nice constitution and strength), not a power character by any means. I'm not completely happy with my AC. What sort of options do I have with the PRC to turn this guy into an armored spellcaster?

September 23, 2011, 09:33:06 PM
Reply #1

What sort of options do I have with the PRC to turn this guy into an armored spellcaster?[/color]

1.) Automatic Still Spell I - III + Armor Skin + Epic Mage Armor

2.) Start over with a Warmage, Beguiler or Hexblade.

HEATSTROKE

September 24, 2011, 01:43:45 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

Also, If you don't mind losing caster levels, you could take Spellsword PrC.

September 24, 2011, 07:36:55 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Thanks for the advice. I've looked over things and decided I am not so fond of losing caster levels as much as character levels in getting to the right prc. So I have another question along those lines.

I was thinking of starting with a few wizard levels instead, following it up with a single hexblade level and then some fighter levels. One problem though.. does the hexblade automatically also let me cast wizard spells in armor? Or (even crazier) divine spells?

I thought that the types of spells (arcane / divine, intelligence / charisma) might be treated differently.

September 24, 2011, 10:54:05 AM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

Thanks for the advice. I've looked over things and decided I am not so fond of losing caster levels as much as character levels in getting to the right prc. So I have another question along those lines.

I was thinking of starting with a few wizard levels instead, following it up with a single hexblade level and then some fighter levels. One problem though.. does the hexblade automatically also let me cast wizard spells in armor? Or (even crazier) divine spells?

I thought that the types of spells (arcane / divine, intelligence / charisma) might be treated differently.

Some classes have reduced arcane spell failure only for their class spells - it will not work for spells from other classes. Those classes are:
- Beguiler
- Dread Necromancer
- Duskblade
- Hexblade
- Sublime Chord
- Suel Archanamch
- Warmage

There are also some classes that grant reduced arcane spell failure for all arcane spells:
- Bladesinger
- Minstrel of the Edge
- Rage Mage
- Spellsword

Divine spells don't suffer from arcane spell failure - you can cast them even in heavy armor ;)

September 24, 2011, 11:18:22 AM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Divine spells don't suffer from arcane spell failure - you can cast them even in heavy armor ;)

LOL I can't believe I forgot that. I really only added that bit to drive my point through, but in doing so I missed the obvious. ;)

At any rate, thanks for another excellent explanation. Gosh, I am having so much fun with this stuff.   ;D