Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Where did I go wrong? (Bonded Summoner)  (Read 3448 times)

September 26, 2011, 06:53:48 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I have some trouble with the Bonded Summoner prc. As far as I can tell I have all the requirements for it, but I can't select it when I level up.

I started out as a monk, then took enough Wizard levels to give me access to level 2 spells. Check. I had already given myself 12 Intelligence when I rolled the character, just so I could also cast these level 2 spells (not sure if that was also requirement, but I'd like to know). At that point I didn't have enough Lore yet, so I took one Fighter level (I also didn't want to persuit the monk route on the long run). Check. The wizard also gave me a familiar. Check.

What could I have done wrong? I am curious about the familiar thing, since it seems to imply I need a feat called 'familiar'. But I see none (aside from Summon Familiar as one of my abilities). What gives? :(

September 26, 2011, 06:56:10 PM
Reply #1
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I forgot to write down why I started out with a single monk level. The plan was to make use of the lv 10 Bonded Summoner ability to turn into an elder elemental. The monk and plenty of wisdom would have added a nice AC modifier on top of that. But, alas.. can't get there yet.

September 27, 2011, 02:18:17 AM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

There's a limit of three classes. You can't have more than three, and monk, wizard and fighter is already three. And well... As monk/wizard/bonded summoner your AB will suck. Concept is nice, but this character will not be strong. Will have trouble hitting anything.
Ideas are bulletproof.

September 27, 2011, 02:55:38 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

That's why I will take the Earth specialization, so I can change into an Elder Earth Elemental. Won't the attack bonus of 33 Strength make up for that?

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Elder_earth_elemental

September 27, 2011, 04:05:50 AM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Ok, I made a lvl 40 character instead, using only monk levels now. Worked. This is what I ended up with

Additional info

Main weapon: Unarmed (I thought it would be creature?? Took the wrong weapon focus then.)
Attack bonus: 33/30/27/24
Attack1: 2-20+12 (Critical 20 / x2)
Fortitude 26
Reflex 19
Will 38
Base Attack: 31
Spell Resistance: 37
Immunities: Crit, Poison, Mindaffecting, Paralysis, Disease
Damage Resistance
And of course AC 45

What do you think?

Edit: I test played it against a few high level creatures. The only problem it had was dealing with high damage resitance / reduction. Perhaps it could have been overcome if I specialized in Unarmed instead, I can't tell.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:27:13 AM by Nellis »