Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Unable to use PRCModuleUpdater  (Read 7317 times)

January 09, 2012, 02:23:15 AM

Hi all,

First off: thanks for any assistance.  I'm currently working with a new install of NWN and have run into a snag with installing PRC.  The game so far seems to run fine with CEP 2.3 installed.  Since then I'm trying to install PRC 3.5 RC1 from the vault.  I used the EXE installer and told it go modify all modules if found (and to go ahead and work on conflicts during the install).  I noticed there was also a file specifically for those using CEP2 called "prc_cep2_merge.rar" and from it's description, I thought I would need it to get CEP and PRC to work together.  After opening the readme, it mentions there is an self-extracting version for Windows users, but I couldn't find it.  I began going through the instructions and noticed there is supposed to be a folder within my Neverwinter Nights folder named "PRCPack", but it wasn't there.  If the PRC installer was supposed to put it there, it didn't.  Anyway, it said inside that folder was supposed to be an application called PRCModuleUpdater.  I found a download for that on the vault as well (ver. 2.5) and tried to run it, but it keeps telling me "Neverwinter Nights is not installed."  If anyone could tell me how I can get this running or maybe point me towards the self-extracting version or if I'm making this much more complicated than I need to, I'd be grateful.

Relevant system data:
Windows 7 64-bit
all Windows updates installed (including .NET 4.0)

January 09, 2012, 05:47:35 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

I used the EXE installer and told it go modify all modules if found (and to go ahead and work on conflicts during the install)
Exe installer (setup3.5rc1a.exe) can't do that. It only extracts PRC files to correct NWN directories. You have to use PRCModuleUpdater to actually install PRC into a module. This is how module updater window looks like:

Use PRC Pack option to install PRC into a module, and later prc_ocfix to install PRC compatibility fixes for Official Campaign modules.
I noticed there was also a file specifically for those using CEP2 called "prc_cep2_merge.rar" and from it's description, I thought I would need it to get CEP and PRC to work together.  After opening the readme, it mentions there is an self-extracting version for Windows users, but I couldn't find it.
Yes, that's the PRC/CEP merge hak. You have to extract all hak & hif files to your NWN\hak directory ant *.tlk to NWN\tlk directory. If you made it right another option will appear in Module Updater - prcc2 - use it INSTEAD of 'PRC Pack' option to install PRC & CEP 2 into module (if your module already has CEP installed, you may need to remove cep*.tlk file from custom tlk in Toolset).
I began going through the instructions and noticed there is supposed to be a folder within my Neverwinter Nights folder named "PRCPack", but it wasn't there.  If the PRC installer was supposed to put it there, it didn't.  Anyway, it said inside that folder was supposed to be an application called PRCModuleUpdater.
PRCPack folder should be located outside your NWN folder. In my case:
NWN dir: e:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\
PRCPack; e:\NeverwinterNights\PRCPack\
That's where the PRCModuleUpdater.exe is. The installer should also create a shortcut to Module Updater on your desktop.
Anyway, it said inside that folder was supposed to be an application called PRCModuleUpdater.  I found a download for that on the vault as well (ver. 2.5) and tried to run it, but it keeps telling me "Neverwinter Nights is not installed."
Try running Module Updater with administrator privileges or in XP compatibility mode. Should fix this problem.

January 09, 2012, 02:38:36 PM
Reply #2

Exe installer (setup3.5rc1a.exe) can't do that. It only extracts PRC files to correct NWN directories. You have to use PRCModuleUpdater to actually install PRC into a module.

OK I didn't realize that when the RC finished it was launching the PRCModuleUpdater when I had checked "Install the PRC pack in modules now" at the end.

I have CEP 2.4 installed.  From what you wrote, I gather that I should first run the RC, but not let the it launch the Module Updater.  After the RC installs the PRC files I should open the PRCModuleUpdater (which I found and is working, I didn't realize it was one level above the NWN director) and have it install "prcc2" to all modules that I want to use PRC with (which is all of them) and AFTER that's done, install "prc_ocfix" on the official campaign modules.  If I'm mistaken somewhere in there, please let me know.

I can't wait until this is done so I can install Henchman Inventory & Battle AI mod v1.08 with it's own PRC fix and further confuse myself.   ::)

January 09, 2012, 04:16:21 PM
Reply #3
    • View Profile

I have CEP 2.4 installed.  From what you wrote, I gather that I should first run the RC, but not let the it launch the Module Updater.  After the RC installs the PRC files I should open the PRCModuleUpdater (which I found and is working, I didn't realize it was one level above the NWN director) and have it install "prcc2" to all modules that I want to use PRC with (which is all of them) and AFTER that's done, install "prc_ocfix" on the official campaign modules.
Correct. Although I don't understand why would you like to install CEP in OC (CEP = builder resources -> if module builder didn't included CEP contents in his module, you probably won't be able to use them)

PRC compatibility fix for HenchAI available on the Vault was incorporated into PRC some time ago, so you don't even have to download it.
If you want a fast and clean method of installing HenchAI install it as a patch - it will affect all your single player modules, and it's easy to disable (just edit nwnpatch.ini).
download this file (HenchAI 1.08 in hak file):
http://speedy.sh/2dh4T/henchai.7z
and extract into your NWN directory (hak file should go to patch folder and nwnpatch.ini to nwn main directory)
That's it. Have fun!

January 10, 2012, 02:48:32 AM
Reply #4

It seems like everything's working now.  Thanks for all your help!  I'm excited about getting to play this game after so long!    ;D