Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Druid/Bard Prestige class?  (Read 13369 times)

January 03, 2012, 09:47:35 AM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

For some time I have been thinking about differently flavored Druid builds.  Specifically, I'd like to see a bard/druid combination, but there is no obvious synergy between the two without a prestige class that advances some features of each, and Fochlucan lyrist won't work because it involves a four class build (you need bard, druid, and some class that can take evasion as a feat to enter the class).

After searching a little online, I discovered Green Whisperer, first introduced in Dragon Magazine #310.  Then I discovered that it was only a five level class, which really doesn't fit what I am looking for anyway.  Also, the class essentially progresses all Bard features and Druid spellcasting, which seems a little unbalanced. (It also adds a feat that makes bardic music more effective on animals, which would be a neat touch, but probably hard to script.)

As much as I know that the PRC has always been opposed to home brew classes, let me suggest a couple thoughts:

Natural Bard

Requires ability to cast 2nd level bard spells and 3rd level druid spells .  Essentially, the class would function as a bard in all respects, except that it would progress druid spellcasting, not bardic spellcasting.

Singing Druid

Requires perform level 8, 3rd level druid spells.  The class would function like a druid, except that it would drop either wildshape or animal companion in favor of progressing bardic music.

I know you are busy with other things right now.  I just thought I would throw this suggestion out there to see if there was any interest for some point in the future.

January 03, 2012, 11:23:47 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Right...
I was thinking about this some time ago. I have 2das for arcane hierophant class (druid/arcane combo). I still need some scripting and an idea on how to implement some abilities so I haven't decided if I'll add this class or not.
Fochlucan lyrist is cool, but in NWN you can only make druid/bard/fl builds with different level spread. Arcane Hierophant is a bit more universal.

IIRC Favored of Milil class should work with Druid ;)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:26:25 AM by xwarren »

January 03, 2012, 12:11:07 PM
Reply #2
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Thanks for the info on Favored of Milil.

Yeah, Arcane Hierophant would be cool!

January 03, 2012, 11:23:27 PM
Reply #3

I wouldn't give up on the Fochlucan lyrist 3 class build quite yet. Brownie (Evasion) and Naz Rak (Imp Evasion) would save you a class slot. IMHO, the Brownie would fit the whole woodland setting much better.

Just a thought.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

January 04, 2012, 09:22:54 AM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I wouldn't give up on the Fochlucan lyrist 3 class build quite yet. Brownie (Evasion) and Naz Rak (Imp Evasion) would save you a class slot. IMHO, the Brownie would fit the whole woodland setting much better.

Just a thought.

You are right--I wasn't considering racial possibilities of acquiring the feat.  That said, I do generally play human characters these days...

January 04, 2012, 03:21:00 PM
Reply #5
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

It's  not really fun to play superpowered races... Brownie, tiny size, +10 dex, huge bonuses to mental stats... Rakshasas - huge bonuses to everything and tons of special perks...

So, you create a character which should normally have like 15 racial levels or LA +15 and are godlike... Not fun at all IMO :/
Ideas are bulletproof.

January 04, 2012, 05:00:15 PM
Reply #6

Shalvan,

1) OK. Suggest a PRC race with Evasion without looking at any manuals. All ears, Mr. Manual .db.

2) It sounded like they hadn't considered and now have a new option. Since you are clearly smarter than the PRC board members, why didn't you post first? Must have been toying with our inferior intellects.  ;)

3) The use of any race (or ability distribution, or magic items, or build path or ...) is solely at the player's discretion. Trying to get holier-than-thou over someone else's choices can't end well and is certainly un-fun.

4) Bada$$ PRC races were put in there for fun & cheese. Come to think of it, all of NWN & PRC is supposed to be fun & some cheese. If you can't have fun with NWN + PRC, then WTF? 'cuz you clearly don't get why the rest of us are here.

WARNING - BEGIN THREAD JACK

5)  Loosen up and let other folks have some fun.

6) Thread jacking for personal BS is BS.

7) Speaking of Druids, where is that 100% original (never been done b4, non-Shifter, non-Dragon, non-Hiero, non-monk) human Druid uber-build & .bic with 43 UMD?

8 - Black. . . . .

END THREAD JACK

January 04, 2012, 07:24:28 PM
Reply #7
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Shalvan,

1) OK. Suggest a PRC race with Evasion without looking at any manuals. All ears, Mr. Manual .db.

2) It sounded like they hadn't considered and now have a new option. Since you are clearly smarter than the PRC board members, why didn't you post first? Must have been toying with our inferior intellects.  ;)

3) The use of any race (or ability distribution, or magic items, or build path or ...) is solely at the player's discretion. Trying to get holier-than-thou over someone else's choices can't end well and is certainly un-fun.

4) Bada$$ PRC races were put in there for fun & cheese. Come to think of it, all of NWN & PRC is supposed to be fun & some cheese. If you can't have fun with NWN + PRC, then WTF? 'cuz you clearly don't get why the rest of us are here.

WARNING - BEGIN THREAD JACK

5)  Loosen up and let other folks have some fun.

6) Thread jacking for personal BS is BS.

7) Speaking of Druids, where is that 100% original (never been done b4, non-Shifter, non-Dragon, non-Hiero, non-monk) human Druid uber-build & .bic with 43 UMD?

8 - Black. . . . .

END THREAD JACK

Shalvan said "IMO".  Lostboy, are you trying to say "shut-up unless you want to agree with me or kiss everyone else's behind?"  Let the man post his opinion and move on.

January 04, 2012, 07:52:04 PM
Reply #8

barna,

Couldn't care less about agreement w/Shalv. Generally, prefer not. Do care about holier-than-thou attitude: I'm better-n-you bc I only play races X, Y, Z (non-munchkin).

Not my fault only uber-races have what Calirion was looking for. If someone wants to look at all PRC races and help out a fellow contributor - fine. I looked at my race .db and those were the ones that came out at first glance.

There is some history being worked inside the lines. Glad you didn't see it. If you took umbrage, my apologies. Not in the mood for social commentary.

January 09, 2012, 06:33:48 PM
Reply #9
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I feel bad for inadevertently starting this.  There are too few of us NWN 1/PRC types left to expend our energy fighting with each other.

As far as playing uber races is concerned, I think it depends on the module.  For instance, in Endless Night IV, I don't feel bad playing an uber race, because the module can sometimes manage to kick my ass even with an uber race. (By the way, there are depths to the scripting of that module I never realized.  In the fighters' guild, when I ask for quests as a druid in human form, I get easier quests that when I ask for quests while still morphed into an ancient dire bear (courtesy of xwarren's dynamic wildshape system.  In fact, while I survive such quests, my henchman and animal companion both get killed almost every time.  Considering that this aspect of the PRC was added long after them module was made, my experience suggests that there must be some very complex scripts involved in the leveling of quests.)  Kingdom of Bortiis, PRC World Extreme (which I don't think works with current PRC), and a Tolkien based module whose name I forget, have pretty high challenge areas that also work for uber races.  For somewhat easier (but still challenging) mods, hitting the level adjustment switch solves the problem. (I'm not a big fan of the racial hit dice, though, because they were designed in PNP for NPC characters and have an entirely different effect when used on PCs in a system that allows only three difrerent classes.) It is true that for relatively easy modules, even moderately uber races throw off the balance.  I think this is perhaps the problem Shalvan was addressing.  I try to pick the character type based upon the challenge level of the module I'm doing.

I agree with Lost Boy about the purpose of PRC with respect to uber races and other features.  Even some very innocuous changes introduced by the PRC can throw off the balance in some modules.  As I said above, it is just a question of picking the aspects that don't break the module in building one's character.  Sometimes this does involve some trial and error.  I mostly play human characters now because I have been experimenting with the optimal human builds, not because I am philosophically opposed to uber races.