Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Re: Artificer  (Read 6750 times)

January 24, 2012, 05:35:29 AM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Ok, so I am attempting to make the Artificer functional and I am completely new at this.  Where do I place scripts or find if the scripts are already written for the class feats (i.e. Retain Essence, etc.)?

January 24, 2012, 08:48:50 AM
Reply #1

Ok, so I am attempting to make the Artificer functional and I am completely new at this.  Where do I place scripts or find if the scripts are already written for the class feats (i.e. Retain Essence, etc.)?

I'd put them in a top hak for ease of testing.   If they already exist they'll be in prc_scripts.2da  & prc_include.hak.

Good luck!
HEATSTROKE

January 24, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

I searched for CLASS_TYPE_ARTIFICER constant in all prc scripts. There are some entries in crafting system:
prc_include\prc_craft_inc.nss
prc_include\prc_x2_craft.nss
prc_scripts\prc_craft.nss

in the function that check crafting feat prerequisites (prc_scripts\prc_enforce_feat.nss) and a code for UMD check (spells\x2_pc_umdcheck.nss)

The class is not hooked to EvalPRCFeats() function = class specific feats were not coded (i think). I don't remember what feats does artificer gain, I'll get back to you when I check that ;p

Edit:
Artisan Bonus = the code in UMD check
Item Creation = the code in crafting system
Artificer Knowledge - it's probably impossible in NWN (magical aura?), I would suggest making something like Bardic Knowledge feat.
Craft Reserve - seems easy to code, but will require a hook to crafting system (if it's not there already)
Disable Trap - we could use Trapfinder feat from Beguiler.
Craft Homunculus - difficult :/
Retain Essence - something like magical electrifier from SoU but instead of adding charges it would add xp to craft reserve pool.
Metamagic Spell Triger/Completion - I've added something similar to Hellfire Warlock class
Skill Mastery - iirc warlock has similar ability but only for UMD checks (not sure where spellcraft checks are made :/ )
Infusions - the most complicated part ;p
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:52:06 AM by xwarren »

January 24, 2012, 12:18:35 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Thanks, I'll get to work!

January 24, 2012, 02:57:39 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I searched for CLASS_TYPE_ARTIFICER constant in all prc scripts. There are some entries in crafting system:

in the function that check crafting feat prerequisites (prc_scripts\prc_enforce_feat.nss) and a code for UMD check (spells\x2_pc_umdcheck.nss)

The class is not hooked to EvalPRCFeats() function = class specific feats were not coded (i think). I don't remember what feats does artificer gain, I'll get back to you when I check that ;p

Edit:
Artificer Knowledge - it's probably impossible in NWN (magical aura?), I would suggest making something like Bardic Knowledge feat.
Craft Reserve - seems easy to code, but will require a hook to crafting system (if it's not there already)
Retain Essence - something like magical electrifier from SoU but instead of adding charges it would add xp to craft reserve pool.
Metamagic Spell Triger/Completion - I've added something similar to Hellfire Warlock class
Skill Mastery - iirc warlock has similar ability but only for UMD checks (not sure where spellcraft checks are made :/ )

Artificer Knowledge looks like it could be handled with a lore bonus.  The "magical aura detection" equates to identifying magic items

re: Skill Mastery, I can't see a reason for needing to take 10 on Spellcraft in Never Winter Nights.  Is there something I'm missing?

January 24, 2012, 03:00:26 PM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

re: Skill Mastery, I can't see a reason for needing to take 10 on Spellcraft in Never Winter Nights.  Is there something I'm missing?
This would be cool with epic spellcasting, but I don't know how Artificer benefits from this.

January 24, 2012, 07:41:11 PM
Reply #6

Edit:

Artificer Knowledge looks like it could be handled with a lore bonus.  The "magical aura detection" equates to identifying magic items

If you're going to do something, do it correctly, up to the limitations of the engine. :D
HEATSTROKE

January 25, 2012, 02:19:11 AM
Reply #7
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Heatstroke,

I agree with you 100%, but I am choosing my battles.  Seeing as this is my first NW project, a little restraint may be needed. 

Re: Spellcraft take 10;  That would be cool with Epic Spellcasting!  I will search for spellcraft checks.