Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Academic Priest and Related  (Read 11208 times)

July 24, 2012, 12:14:12 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I don't know the stance on Dragonlance Material in the PRC, but would it be possible to implement feats like Academic Priest? The feat I'm referring to is from Dragonlance: Legend of the Twins, it changes Divine bonus spell slots to be granted by Intelligence rather than Wisdom.

The feat as written

---
Academic Priest:
Your path to faith is more scholarly than those of other clerics.

Prerequisite: Intelligence 13+

Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus divine spells per day and maximum divine spell level, your primary spellcasting ability is Intelligence. If you have more than one divine spellcasting class, the bonus applies to only one of those classes. Your spell save DCs are not affected by this change.

Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If you take this feat more than once it applies to a different divine spellcasting class each time. You may take this feat even if you have no divine spellcasting classes yet.
---
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:05:35 PM by Onmi »

July 25, 2012, 11:14:14 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

With current setup this switch would only work for scripted spellbooks (new casting classes). It would be quite difficult to implement it for bioware classes. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

July 27, 2012, 11:57:09 AM
Reply #2
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I don't know the stance on Dragonlance Material in the PRC, but would it be possible to implement feats like Academic Priest? The feat I'm referring to is from Dragonlance: Legend of the Twins, it changes Divine bonus spell slots to be granted by Intelligence rather than Wisdom.

The feat as written

---
Academic Priest:
Your path to faith is more scholarly than those of other clerics.

Prerequisite: Intelligence 13+

Benefit: For the purpose of determining bonus divine spells per day and maximum divine spell level, your primary spellcasting ability is Intelligence. If you have more than one divine spellcasting class, the bonus applies to only one of those classes. Your spell save DCs are not affected by this change.

Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If you take this feat more than once it applies to a different divine spellcasting class each time. You may take this feat even if you have no divine spellcasting classes yet.
---

The way the PRC is currently set up, someone wanting an intelligence based divine spellcaster could simply play an archivist, with the caveat that an archivist BAB is like a wizard's, not a cleric's, and the class doesn't grant undead; the latter could be a problem if you wanted to go for a prestige class that requires turn undead.  Since the archivist is still a divine spellcaster, he can cast in armor without penalty, though he only starts out with the light and medium armor proficiency.

July 27, 2012, 12:27:35 PM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

The way the PRC is currently set up, someone wanting an intelligence based divine spellcaster could simply play an archivist, with the caveat that an archivist BAB is like a wizard's, not a cleric's, and the class doesn't grant undead; the latter could be a problem if you wanted to go for a prestige class that requires turn undead.  Since the archivist is still a divine spellcaster, he can cast in armor without penalty, though he only starts out with the light and medium armor proficiency.

Oh no, that side of Academic Priest isn't what I'm interested in, I'm interested in the 'Bonus Divine Spells determined by Int" because it synergizes so well with the Archivist, who still uses Wis to determine bonus spell slots. Helps make an Archivist SAD. Overall I think it's a feat Divine Spellcasters may want to consider because it lets them get more Skill Points while maintaining their Divine Caster status
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:30:13 PM by Onmi »

July 29, 2012, 12:33:29 AM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

That makes perfect sense, but how could one tell this from the manual? There are references to intelligence for level of spell that can be learned and spell DC.  There is no indication that wisdom is used to calculate the number of bonus spells, at least unless I am just overlooking it. Because only intelligence is mentioned, I assumed it was the ability that determined all magic functions for the archivist.  If what you say is true, then it would be good to incorporate such a feat for PRC divine casters, archivist in particular.  I understand xwarren's point about not being able to use it with regular clerics.

July 29, 2012, 08:19:53 AM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Right here good sir

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3

like other spellcasters, an archivist can cast only a certain number of spells of each level per day. His base daily allotment is given in Table 5-1: The Archivist. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table 1-1 on page 8 of the Player's Handbook).

Also from in-game tests I can tell that the PRC team indeed carried this over (with good reason that's how it is in the PnP) I too understand xwarrens point. However I still would like to see the feat implemented it at all possible.

July 29, 2012, 12:53:20 PM
Reply #6
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I agree.  It sounds as if the feat would not be that hard to implement if it were restricted to the PRC divine classes.  Now that you mention it, I realize that I haven't been getting bonus spells for my archivist. Now I finally know why.