Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Dread Necromancer = screwed vs a creature immune to death magic?  (Read 6448 times)

September 06, 2012, 02:47:52 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Just wondering what one would do in that circumstance. Looked fun to play, but as soon as something immune to death magic shows up, isn't a DN screwed? Can they use scrolls, maybe carry around a few emergency fireballs? Or are they intended to be multiclassed with something with other means of taking stuff down?

September 06, 2012, 10:43:54 PM
Reply #1

Since DN gets Turn Undead for free, you can access Div Might / Epic Div Might. If you play to DN20, you get the Lich template and therefore Demi-lich (big Cha bonus that applied to DM / EDM damage) at L21 caster. Demi-lich template brings unlimited Summons, so you don't have to duke it directly. To get to L20+, meat or bone shields are your friends, as you are probably playing.

At lower levels, I might try Unliving Weapon on weakling Undead as a means to damage. I was surprised when a handful of UL Wep's wasted Epic Wraiths from the Eternal Undead Master build. Wraith loyalty was too fickle, so I had to kill them. Not sure what Dam type UL Wep is, but it cleaned them out surprisingly well. I would have thought Epic Wraiths would be Neg-En / Necro immune, but UL Wep seemed to get through whatever D they had.

A DN brawler build should definitely have DM / EDM + Demi-lich template to Max Cha.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

September 06, 2012, 11:16:38 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I went with Sorcerer due to that issue. I just thought it'd suck to be a DN in a fight with something immune to death magic, like for example that dracolich that shows up in one of the official campaigns.

September 29, 2013, 11:50:40 AM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Since Dread Necro is only a 20 level class anyway, you'll need to multiclass in something else for epic level games, but sorcerer may not be the best choice. Each class would then be only a 20th level caster. I believe Strat once suggested Shadow Adept, which would keep your DN caster level progressing. It would not solve the problem of opponents immune to death magic.

I like DN/Cleric/True Necromancer. TN extends the caster level of both DN and cleric, gives you some versatility as a spellcaster, as well as zone of desecration, and some very nasty higher level undead summons. Actually, stronger in a power gamer kind of way would be wizard/cleric/tn (better spells, and you can become a demilich after you reach caster level 21, which gives you many of the advantages of the DN.

September 29, 2013, 10:54:59 PM
Reply #4

Well keep in mind immunity to death magic doesn't mean immunity to negative energy damage.  It's true that all undead are immune to death magic and can't be hurt by negative energy, but I would figure that a character like a DN would also have spells in his arsenal for dealing with the undead.  Other then undead there aren't a lot of enemies that are immune to death magic and negative energy damage.