Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Domain Spells on PRC classes  (Read 6789 times)

December 26, 2012, 01:31:38 PM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

It seems that domain spells are not near as nice on PRC classes as on the NWN base classes.  On NWN classes (Cleric), the domain spells become part of the spell list and can be cast as often as spell slots are available.  For PRC classes (EX: Templar), you get one casting per rest per level and that is it.  Shouldn't we be able to cast our domain spells as often as spell slots allow (especially for spontanious casters like the Templar) just like the cleric?

December 26, 2012, 05:59:31 PM
Reply #1

It seems that domain spells are not near as nice on PRC classes as on the NWN base classes.  On NWN classes (Cleric), the domain spells become part of the spell list and can be cast as often as spell slots are available.  For PRC classes (EX: Templar), you get one casting per rest per level and that is it.  Shouldn't we be able to cast our domain spells as often as spell slots allow (especially for spontanious casters like the Templar) just like the cleric?

Nope, works as intended.

Quote from: d20 SRD
prepares one or the other each day in his domain spell slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in his domain spell slot.
HEATSTROKE

December 27, 2012, 12:37:30 PM
Reply #2
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I see.

Thanks for clarifying!!

March 07, 2013, 02:30:36 AM
Reply #3

Nope, works as intended.
Hmm.... judging by

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm ,

in d20, all domains have one spell at each level, so Neverwinter Nights isn't a good parallel.  Enforcing the one-domain-spell-per-spell-level rule in the nwn context encourages players to pick domains with non-overlapping spell slot levels which detracts from picking them in a manner suiting the style of the character (e.g. Magic/Evil to get two negative energy bursts for an evil cleric looking to buff his undead subordinates).

I'm not convinced this was what was intended.

March 07, 2013, 07:39:12 AM
Reply #4

in d20, all domains have one spell at each level, so Neverwinter Nights isn't a good parallel.

Are we talking about NWN or the PRC?  Because the PRC has a completely separate domain spell system.  Am I missing something?  Are clerics still getting the free spells slots from domains?  Are domain spells that aren't already on the cleric spell list still available to cast as many times as you have spell slots?
HEATSTROKE

March 07, 2013, 04:00:48 PM
Reply #5

Yeah my bad i found this while searching some stuff up and thought PrC stood for prestige class ( i only have the original nvn, never installed the updates).

March 07, 2013, 07:08:02 PM
Reply #6

Yeah my bad i found this while searching some stuff up and thought PrC stood for prestige class ( i only have the original nvn, never installed the updates).

Ohhhh.
HEATSTROKE