Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: NWNX - Does it require seperate server?  (Read 7014 times)

September 24, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I've been reading about all the benefits of NWNX, and it sounds like something I want to use with the PRC (for templates and PNP Shifter use, etc), but I haven't seen an answer to my big question, which is: Can I log in locally as a player from the same machine its running the module on?

I understand its built to host a server, so I suspect the answer is No, and since I don't have a 2nd computer to run NWN on, it would then be something I can't use right now.

But if it does still allow a player to log in and play locally (while hosting for other players over the internet) then it really looks like I should upgrade to using it.

Thanks ahead of time for any info!

September 25, 2012, 12:36:13 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Sometimes for testing purposes I started NWServer (through NWNX) and logged in from the same machine. So it is possible to run a server and client on the same computer. I did it only for testing (5-15 min sessions) and I haven't noticed any errors, but I don't know if acually play thourgh a module like this. You'll have to try it on your own ;)

September 25, 2012, 07:22:35 PM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

If you got it to work, then that makes it worth trying out.
I just didn't want to waste a bunch of time if it was already known not to work!

Thanks!

September 25, 2012, 08:18:39 PM
Reply #3
  • Developer
    • View Profile

I used to run NWServer and NWN on the same machine all the the time for single-player games just to get the benefit of NWNX for the PnP Shifter class. I don't know of any reason why you couldn't do it for multiplayer games, but I'm not really an expert on that.

November 21, 2012, 09:35:38 PM
Reply #4
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

So what are the benefits for the PNP shifter class? The main thing I remember was permanent stat increases for classes that gave bonuses, like Heartwarder or Warchief. But you had to restart the client as I recall....does the new version give you above +12 stat bonuses without a restart?

November 22, 2012, 09:37:49 AM
Reply #5

So what are the benefits for the PNP shifter class?
  It doesn't use the NWN polymorph function.  A lot more flexible & much more like PnP.
HEATSTROKE

November 22, 2012, 03:03:17 PM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

So what are the benefits for the PNP shifter class? The main thing I remember was permanent stat increases for classes that gave bonuses, like Heartwarder or Warchief. But you had to restart the client as I recall....does the new version give you above +12 stat bonuses without a restart?
If you play PnP shifter without nwnx_funcs you will notice that stat bonuses from different shapes are treated as magical bonuses (and thus capped at +12). nwnx_funcs allows to modify character stats, so shifter shapes are no longer limited in this way.

November 22, 2012, 08:19:42 PM
Reply #7
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

You get stats without restarting the client?! Cool!

November 23, 2012, 02:06:41 PM
Reply #8
  • Developer
    • View Profile

If you play PnP shifter without nwnx_funcs you will notice that stat bonuses from different shapes are treated as magical bonuses (and thus capped at +12). nwnx_funcs allows to modify character stats, so shifter shapes are no longer limited in this way.

This is true, and nwnx is by far the best way to play PnP shifter, but I'll point out that prc goes out of it's way (very far out of its way) to work around the +12 limit if you're not using nwnx. For instance, it will change your AB, skills, saves, etc. to what they would be if you had gotten the full stat bonus instead of it being limited to +12.