Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: OHS Henchman System  (Read 8813 times)

February 09, 2013, 12:29:49 AM

It has been more than four and a half years since OHS was last updated (and chances are there will not be any further updates), are there any chances to see a version of the PRC that patches OHS so that both can co-exist pacifically?

February 10, 2013, 04:00:05 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

PRC cohort system works more less like OHS. Have you tried it yet?

February 10, 2013, 11:38:31 PM
Reply #2

PRC cohort system works more less like OHS. Have you tried it yet?

Hadn't thought about that, can I have three cohorts (to play with a four player party)?

p.s. I just checked the manual and from I understand it is severely limited (correct me if I am wrong) as an OHS substitute:

1. You must be 6th level or above (so no low level adventures)
2. You must use a feat to get cohorts.
3. Cohorts must be of the same alignment (or at least similar)
4. Cohorts always are lower level than your character.
5. You get only one cohort.

Seems to me cohorts are followers, kind of powerful familiars, but they are not henchmen nor fellow party members :/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:09:36 AM by mangamuscle »

February 11, 2013, 03:26:45 PM
Reply #3
    • View Profile

quote form prc_inc_switches.nss:
/*
  * Set this to give a number of Free cohorts as with leadership
  * This can be used to simulate a party of players
  * Unlike normal cohorts, those granted through this switch
  * do not have the -2 level lag.
  */
 const string PRC_BONUS_COHORTS                      = "PRC_BONUS_COHORTS";

February 12, 2013, 08:06:40 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

True, the cohort system can be modified in this way to simulate a party. The problem I have with it is that I can't resurrect cohorts, which from a role-playing standpoint makes more sense than just leaving their bodies where they fall and hiring someone else.

Also, unless something has changed that isn't documented in the forums, I think custom cohorts still don't work, at least in some modules. What happens is that the cohort starts multiplying and just keeps going until there are an army of cohorts.

If the custom cohorts worked as intended, then yes, the system would be as good as OHS, but they don't.

That said, I can't imagine getting OHS and the PRC to coexist might well be more trouble than it is worth, and I know your time is limited. (It might be easier to fix custom cohorts.) :)

May 13, 2014, 07:26:59 AM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. But I have recently started to use PRC and disappointed to find that OHS does not work with PRC.

PRC cohort has it's own problems. In addition to the problems posted above, even with the bonus cohort switch on, most PCs can have only 1 cohort. It is not enough to emulate a party.

In regard to OHS, I also found that it does not work with CEP 2.2 (possibly 2.1?) or later. OHS doesn't work with modules with some modifications on resting (say, Pretty Good Character Creator), either. In all the cases, linkboy does not appear even if a PC rests.

If somehow OHS can co-work with PRC (and preferably, later versions with CEP), it will be a great addition.

June 19, 2014, 07:46:51 AM
Reply #6
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I have asked a related question on Bioware forum and OldMansBeard gave me a reply.

It's been a long while since I wrote the OHS, so my memory of how it worked internally is a bit faded and I don't have access to it on this machine so I can't look it up but I'll try to answer your question.

Spawning the linkboy, and a lot of other things, is controlled by the defauIt player heartbeat script. Any other system that messes with this is going to break the OHS totally. It would certainly be possible to spawn a linkboy with a console command (the resref you would need is ohs_linkboy), but if the default script has been overridden by the one from some other package, the OHS won't function.

Basically, PRC is incompatible with OHS.

July 15, 2014, 01:09:39 PM
Reply #7
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Well, with helps of fellows on Bioware forum, I could managed to change the maximum number of henchmen.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/508277-changing-the-maximum-number-of-henchmen/

I made "PRC_BONUS_COHORTS" switch on (6), then recruited 3 cohorts and then saved the game. When loaded that game, 3 cohorts were still in the party!

Well now, if only custom cohorts work.....