Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Riskbreaker  (Read 9335 times)

August 30, 2014, 11:03:38 PM
  • Adept
  • Foxy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog

I haven't actually made Riskbreaker as a usable class yet (I'm new to custom content, but I'm looking for a guide on how to do that). This is more of a concept, I guess. The Riskbreaker will be an arcane caster base class based on the abilities of Ashley Riot from Vagrant Story.

Hit Die: d8
Proficiencies: Armor (light, medium), shields, weapons (riskbreaker)
Skill Points: 2 + int modifier ((2 + int modifier) * 4 at first level)
Skills: Concentration, Craft Armor, Craft Weapon, Craft Trap, Discipline, Intimidate, Lore, Parry, Spellcraft
Unavailable Feats: Curse Song, Divine Might, Divine Shield, Extra Music, Extra Turning, Lingering Song
Primary Saving Throws: Will
Base Attack Bonus: +1/level

Initial Equipment: Scimitar, Leather Armor, Torch

Spellcasting: Arcane and Divine (if possible), intelligence-based, spontaneous.

Riskbreakers gain Automatic Still Spell III at first level, allowing them to cast arcane spells in armor with a shield.

Riskbreakers get as many spells per day as Sorcerers, and can cast without preparation. They can also learn spells from scrolls, like Wizards. However, Riskbreakers never learn spells by leveling up and can only learn spells from scrolls (including divine scrolls, if that's even possible).

Riskbreaker weapon proficiency includes dagger, shortsword, kukri, longsword, bastard sword, greatsword, dwarven waraxe, kama, katana, battleaxe, greataxe, halberd, rapier, scimitar, light crossbow, spear, trident, club, and mace. This proficiency group is based on the weapons usable in Vagrant Story.
Stay with me to guide this dream
Before they bury me
I'll be waiting up all night for you
In a nightmare that was made for me

August 31, 2014, 09:46:32 PM
Reply #1

Being myself new to this, i may be not be accurate, but first, the class looks a lot like the Archivist class; divine class, learn spells from both divine and arcane scrolls. being divine can cast in armor (simulate still 3, no ?) BUT isn't spontanous and the spells need to be prepared.

out of many things to modify to make it closer to what you wish:

- Include hack/"inc_newspellbook.nss" allows you to see/change list of main casting stat for each class AND change its type (prepared like wizard or spontaneous like sorcerers).

- 2da hak/"cls_feat_archv.2da" allows you to modify the feats each class (in this case, archiv) will get and at wich level (can add weapon oroficiencies to talked about)

-2da hak/ "cls_spkn_archv.2da" related to how many casting for each level of spells, a spontaneous caster is allowed per day"

you can add this last one, after editing, via classes.2da to the archivist using a 2DA editor.

anyone to confirm this ?! since it's EDITING and not building a new class from scratch, things are already half done.

good luck

September 01, 2014, 06:01:16 PM
Reply #2
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I've never tried editing a class to create a new one, but what you are saying sounds sensible, Marohair. The archivist is the only one I can think of that learns both divine and arcane scrolls from spells.

September 05, 2014, 05:45:08 PM
Reply #3
  • Adept
  • Foxy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog

Being myself new to this, i may be not be accurate, but first, the class looks a lot like the Archivist class; divine class, learn spells from both divine and arcane scrolls. being divine can cast in armor (simulate still 3, no ?) BUT isn't spontanous and the spells need to be prepared.

out of many things to modify to make it closer to what you wish:

- Include hack/"inc_newspellbook.nss" allows you to see/change list of main casting stat for each class AND change its type (prepared like wizard or spontaneous like sorcerers).

- 2da hak/"cls_feat_archv.2da" allows you to modify the feats each class (in this case, archiv) will get and at wich level (can add weapon oroficiencies to talked about)

-2da hak/ "cls_spkn_archv.2da" related to how many casting for each level of spells, a spontaneous caster is allowed per day"

you can add this last one, after editing, via classes.2da to the archivist using a 2DA editor.

anyone to confirm this ?! since it's EDITING and not building a new class from scratch, things are already half done.

good luck

Thanks for the hints! I still haven't quite got it worked out (I have no idea what I'm doing), but this gives me something else to try.
Before they bury me

September 11, 2014, 05:53:05 PM
Reply #4

May want to check the balance before finalizing.

Coming from a hard core munchkin-ite, what you have is sporty.

Full BAB
Full Arcane Spell progression
Access to divine Spell List (via scroll)
Best wep proficiencies for free (scim, rapier, katana, kukri, kama)
Free Epic Feat @ L1 (Prerequisite: 21st level, Still Spell, Spellcraft 27, ability to cast 9th level spells. )
http://www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/english/content/class_epic_feats/865.html

More what I expected for full bab caster:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1279546

Glad you're adding new content.

Like to see it when complete.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

September 11, 2014, 08:31:05 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
  • Foxy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog

May want to check the balance before finalizing.

Coming from a hard core munchkin-ite, what you have is sporty.

Full BAB
Full Arcane Spell progression
Access to divine Spell List (via scroll)
Best wep proficiencies for free (scim, rapier, katana, kukri, kama)
Free Epic Feat @ L1 (Prerequisite: 21st level, Still Spell, Spellcraft 27, ability to cast 9th level spells. )
http://www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/english/content/class_epic_feats/865.html

Admittedly, it is a bit OP, but everything for a reason. The Riskbreaker gets full BAB because it's primarily a combat class. It actually has more to do with attacks per turn (to emulate the chain attack system from VS) than attack bonuses. To my knowledge, attacks per turn only rise with BAB. If I figure out a way to give the Riskbreaker lots of attacks per turn without a full BAB, I'll downgrade Riskbreaker to middle class BAB (or even non-combat BAB, as Ashley's attacks aren't always particularly accurate).

The specific weapon proficiencies were picked out to match those available in Vagrant Story (as Ashley can pick up and use anything without needing to meet any requirements, I assume as part of his VKP training). Though, come to think of it, I need to add hand axe to that list ('hatchet' is a dagger-class weapon in VS, VS's hand axe more resembles an NWN battle axe). I can probably also remove longsword (the romphaia acts like a bastard sword {there is also a weapon namedVagrant Story's spells. Magic Weapon = Protasia, Fireball = Flame Sphere, etc.

The Riskbreaker is also meant to function as a solo character in a game designed for small parties or at least a single henchperson. Much like Ashley Riot, the NWN Riskbreaker is as powerful as an entire party of adventurers (but also doesn't play well with others).

More what I expected for full bab caster:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1279546

Wow! That person went really far with it. I didn't even think to incorporate break arts, specific chain attacks, defense abilities, and risk (are any of those even possible in NWN?) Seems like a lot to keep up with for tabletop DnD, though.

Glad you're adding new content.

Like to see it when complete.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post the file if I ever get it figured out. I haven't even used my laptop for like a week or so, but I'll mess around some more next time I use it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:35:24 PM by Kardas »
Before they bury me

September 11, 2014, 08:52:35 PM
Reply #6

I must second the new content. It would be awesome to see a new PRC update since the CEP got one. I just love the fact people are still building stuff for this game. :)

September 24, 2014, 06:34:13 PM
Reply #7
  • Adept
  • Foxy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblog

Okay! Time to admit I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried making a new class from scratch, I tried editing Archivist, and either way I don't even know where to start. Sorry everyone, no new content here.
Before they bury me

September 25, 2014, 11:38:39 AM
Reply #8
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I'm wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere.

I haven't seen any of the remaining builders around for a while. Eventually one of them may stop by and offer some suggestions.