Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Shelgarn's Persistant Blade  (Read 4958 times)

August 31, 2009, 02:15:32 PM

Does anyone else think it's odd that this spell is evocation instead of conjuration?
HEATSTROKE

August 31, 2009, 06:56:35 PM
Reply #1

Not necessarily, it depends how the spell is described.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 01, 2009, 01:24:59 PM
Reply #2

That's the main reason I thought it was odd!

Shelgarn's Persistent Blade
School: Evocation
The caster summons a dagger that acts as a faithful and loyal servant.

Summon Creature I
School: Conjuration
The caster summons a dire badger to be a faithful and loyal servant.
HEATSTROKE

September 10, 2009, 08:12:01 PM
Reply #3

I think this may be because when you "conjure" summon an animal or elemental companion, you are moving it from its natural home to "you" to be your servant for a short duration.  When you "evoke" summon the dagger, you are creating something from nothing and imbuing it with a personality, but again only for a short while.  Both are "summons" but the way the summon is executed changes which school it belongs to.  Also, it may have been to provide someone who is restricted from taking conjuration a chance to have a summon of some kind.  In any event, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

September 10, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
Reply #4

Quote from: TigerDragon

I think this may be because when you "conjure" summon an animal or elemental companion, you are moving it from its natural home to "you" to be your servant for a short duration.  When you "evoke" summon the dagger, you are creating something from nothing and imbuing it with a personality, but again only for a short while.  Both are "summons" but the way the summon is executed changes which school it belongs to.  Also, it may have been to provide someone who is restricted from taking conjuration a chance to have a summon of some kind.  In any event, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Looking in Magic of Faerun it's supposed to be a force dagger & not really summoned at all.  All makes sense now.  Should have [Force] in the descriptor too.
HEATSTROKE