Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: New to PRC and have questions  (Read 11419 times)

September 09, 2009, 05:31:02 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm totally new to the PRC and I have some questions I couldn't find answered in the manual.  The main question is about the possibility of a base class + prestige class combo which is why I'm asking here but there are a couple other questions about feats.

1)  Can the mystic base class be combined with mystic theurge prestige class so that you are, for example, a mystic/wizard/mystic theurge?  Do you think that doing so would be a good choice?

2)  Is there anything buggy I should know about the item creation feats before building a character that takes them.  Also, how much time does it take (ex. multiple rests or what?) and are you restricted in the locations you can do this?

3)  Is there anything buggy I should know about the various leadership feats (ex. epic leadership, legendary commander) before building a character that takes them?  Especially, can cohorts be called just anywhere at all (any mod that has the prc installed) or are there limitations on this?  And are the cohorts well-designed builds or what?  How does this work exactly?  Also, do they interfere with other henchies or summons in any way or could you have, say, 2 cohorts, a familiar, a summon, multiple henchies, and an animal companion (from skill-dumped druid or ranger skill) all running around at once?

4)  On the whole, do you think that the item creation feats or leadership feats are really worth it or do they just eat up too much xp, interfere with other henchies, or etc.?  I can see how the item creation feats would be extremely useful in a low magic world (to say the least) but for an ordinary magic world they might not be that great except possibly craft epic arms & armor.

September 09, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
Reply #1

1) It can be done. Not sure it's the best choice, but it can be done.
2) Don't do it around enemies.
3) Cohorts can be called anywhere.
4) They eat a lot of XP.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 09, 2009, 06:15:57 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: Stratovarius

1) It can be done. Not sure it's the best choice, but it can be done.
2) Don't do it around enemies.
3) Cohorts can be called anywhere.
4) They eat a lot of XP.

OK, thanks for the answers.

Regarding #1, the reason I'm thinking of mystic is because I want to go 8 strength & 14 dex then max buff the dex to wear padded armor with a little asfr on it.  This will (eventually) give me an AC just as good as heavy armor but will also reflex buff me and let me avoid the need for the auto-still pathway which would eat up 3 or 4 feats.  With the exception of heavy armor use (which I won't need) and undead turning (which my 8 charisma and very low divine level will make largely meaningless), the mystic seems like a more powerful divine class to me.

One other question about the mystic class: exactly how many domains do they actually get?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:16:57 PM by JP2U »

September 09, 2009, 07:51:26 PM
Reply #3

The number it says in the ,anual. Which I think is one.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 09, 2009, 08:15:41 PM
Reply #4

JP2U,

The PRC Manual is behind the "NWN Manual" link under "Navigation" on the left side of the PRC h-page. It says NWN, but it's PRC.

If you want to look at some Prestige class synergy, look at the class map here: http://www.nwnprc.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=237

D-load the attachment at the bottom.

If you are looking for a high Dex build, check out the Naztharune Rakshasa in the "Races" tab. Heh heh. Uber-races are the cure for ability based pre-req's.

Welcome to the PRC. Bada$$ mod.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

September 09, 2009, 08:39:22 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

OK, thanks, I did check the manulal but it just said "bonus domain" which for all I knew could have meant "one domain" or "as cleric (2) plus one bonus domain (=3)".  With only one domain that does make the choice a little bit harder but i'm still thinking of going mystic.

I generally don't like playing uber races in singleplayer or in general although sometimes I'll play them on PWs mostly for RP's-sake (ex. evil, half-demon, pixie sorceress).

September 09, 2009, 09:49:16 PM
Reply #6

Don't like the Shaman? It has some nice perks.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

September 10, 2009, 03:57:09 AM
Reply #7
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: ThE LoSt BoY

Don't like the Shaman? It has some nice perks.

I've looked through things pretty thoroughly now.  I was thinking of going healer+warmage>mystic theurge but then I saw that luminous armor/greater luminous armor would allow me to overcome the arcane spell failure restriction and I thought that healer + sorcerer might be better.

The obvious reason that I'm considering these combinations is that they allow for both the divine and arcane spell DC's to be based on the same stat.  In fact as far as I'm aware they're the only such combinations which would allow that (not including bard of course).

Does mage armor turn luminous armor into +4?  I'm assuming it does.  If so then a sorcerer's ability to take this, unlike a warmage who doesn't appear to have mage armor as a spell option (how odd!) is a strong reason to take sorcerer at least early on.  However later on availability of light armors with greater than +4 enchantment would maybe lead one towards war mage but by then it should hardly matter.

All in all I think that sorcerer is a lot more versatile since I'll be able to take some buffing, utility, and defensive spells and damage shields which warmage will just never have.  It hurts to lose out on implosion though.

I picked up practiced spellcaster: healer and I'll pickup the other one at 3rd.  I also picked up spellfire wielder since that's definitely in-character and could come in handy in spell duels. 6th is extend, 9th-12th are the evocation foci, 15th empower, and 18th maximize.

edit:  OK, can anyone tell me why my human level 1 healer is able to use longbows, doubleaxes, and apparently every other weapon?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:48:38 AM by JP2U »

September 10, 2009, 03:48:55 PM
Reply #8
  • Associate
    • View Profile

The PRC implements weapon proficiency differently than the original NWN.  A PC can equip any weapon, but at a -4 (I think) penalty if the character is not proficient  with that weapon.

The balancing disadvantage is that a character can't take broad weapon proficiencies like "exotic" anymore.  Unless the proficiency is part of your class, you have to take proficiency one weapon at a time, which chews up feats like crazy but is useful if you have found a particular uber weapon you want to wield.

To weigh in on some of your earlier questions, I'm not sure the advanced leadership  feats are worth it, but I almost always take leadership, because having an extra pair of hands can sometimes prove quite handy.  I think the NWN engine limits you to four party members regardless, so if you have two henchmen, a cohort, and a familiar, you won't be able to use summon spells.  (At least this seems true in the modules I typically  play, so I assume it is an NWN thing.)

THe custom cohort routine, alas, is still buggy the last time I checked.  Standard cohort still gives you a fair amount of flexibility, but be aware that you can't summon cohorts from races added after 2.2c (when the leadership feat was lasts coded).  They show up in the list of choices, but selecting one of them produces no result.

I think the crafting feats are worth it if you set the switch that allows arbitrary crafting.  You are right that PNP crafting is probably only useful in a low magic environment.  However, arbitrary crafting gives much more freedom to customize items.  The feats that enhance crafting or lower costs won't work on arbitrary crafting, but it doesn't appear you need to take the epic crafting feats to craft higher level items; the regular feats seem to allow any level of crafting.  The limitation is that higher levels of crafting are expensive in terms of money and experience, so the feats really only come into their own in situations in which you have a really good cash flow and can earn lots of experience.  Otherwise, you won't be able to craft really high level items anyway.  In any case, arbitrary crafting, as you can see, doesn't eat up that many feats.   I find if I take "craft wondrous item" and "craft magical arms and armor" I'm pretty much set, and both are takeable by a fifth level caster, which means you can use crafting with a build that is not primarily a caster build.  (Forge ring would be nice, but you need 12 caster levels to be eligible.)

To me arbitrary crafting makes more sense than PNP crafting.  I encounter all kinds of weird magical items in mods.  It makes roleplaying sense that someone must make them, but PNP crafting only gives you a few choices.  Arbitrary lets you  add any chracteristic in the toolset to any relevant item (again assuming you have the right gold and experience).  This seems to offer a more logical explanation of where unique items in a mod could have come from in the first place.  The cost factor effectively keeps a player from going wild and creating items inconsistent with the module.  I can only get to really powerful items in really tough modules, at least those that reward victory well enough.  And I like being able to customize to address specific menaces I find in a new mod.  This adds a whole new dimension of planning (especially how to use resources, since both gold and experience are finite resources).  Since the new crafting system was introduced, I generally try to create character builds that allow for crafting.

I recommend Endless Nights IV as a mod that enables you to earn enough resources to craft some pretty powerful stuff yet has a challenge level high enough to be tough even with some potent custom items.  Also, you have to be pretty far along in the game (and thus facing a high level of menace) to really get into uber crafting.  In other words, although arbitrary crafting gives you a wide range of options, the cost factor keeps the game balanced appropriately.