Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Dread Necromancer  (Read 8589 times)

September 02, 2009, 10:05:40 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

so, i started playing this. i'm liking the balance between permanent undead (with the right switches) and temporary undead, and finding the whole experience thoroughly enjoyable.

except for the bugs. now, i'm just about figuring out how to alter game files and have spent the last few days trying to figure out what the heck a .cmd file is and how to use a compiler. in short, my knowledge of the intimate workings of this stuff is limited. however, i was under the impression i'd installed the .haks right -  but if my error could cause these, do go ahead and tell me. however, for now i'm going to start a list of problems - leaving out the unable to resolve spell to spellbook error that happens every time i cast - hasn't stopped me so far.

1: i'm using default switches apart from pnp_animate_dead, create_undead_permanent and prc_multisummon, which are all active. when i create a permanent undead, and then rest, it loses all its undead qualities - no immunities. (i had to open up create and create greater undead and change the extraordinary tag to a supernatural effect - thanks to whoever wrote the animate dead spell by the way - to stop them unsummoning on rest). it's possible that this caused it, but it happened with animated dead as well, which i never touched.

the only way i've found to get around this one was opening Vile Death and adding the Necropolitan template to the list of things it does to Undead. now they retain immunities just fine, but it's a little inconvenient.

2: Mental Bastion doesn't seem to be working. yes, i know that was the least helpful bug report ever, but i can find more information if someone can suggest where to look - i'm clueless.

3: this is a strange one. i've had to remove divine spellcasting as a requirement in order to get True Necromancer, because my original plan was DNecro/Cleric/Tnecro. only, attempting to level beyond level 3 in cleric, when also possessed of ANY DNecro levels, just delevels you and says "you must be able to cast level 2 spells to take this feat".  i tried DNecro 1/Cleric 4, Dnecro 3/Cleric 3 and Cleric 4/Dnecro 3, which produced the error when trying to level DNecro up.

lastly, i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of the Lich Template Class Phylactery, and what properties allow it to function as such. i'd like to see about non-amulet phylacteries, as well as debating adding the Demilich at-will spell abilities to it. the only file i can find, though, is UTI, which i have no idea how to open.

any help much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:07:58 AM by Anaris »

September 02, 2009, 10:17:51 AM
Reply #1

Quote from: Anaris

lastly, i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of the Lich Template Class Phylactery, and what properties allow it to function as such. i'd like to see about non-amulet phylacteries, as well as debating adding the Demilich at-will spell abilities to it. the only file i can find, though, is UTI, which i have no idea how to open.

I think this fix is supposed to fix that error.
HEATSTROKE

September 02, 2009, 01:01:13 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

hmm, that link appears to take me to the forum mainpage. does it work for you?

also, what specifically does it fix, the demilich powers?

September 02, 2009, 01:23:38 PM
Reply #3

hmm, that link appears to take me to the forum mainpage. does it work for you?

also, what specifically does it fix, the demilich powers?

Yes it works for me, takes me to the Blackguard: Summon Fiend bug in the bug forum.  This is supposed to fix the levelup bug with the Dread Necro.
HEATSTROKE

September 02, 2009, 06:59:12 PM
Reply #4

The feat error is a feat you're trying to take.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 02, 2009, 11:59:40 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

unless Alertness has a second level spell casting prerequisite, no it's not. unless Cleric has a feat at level four that checks for second level spellcasting?

i do have practiced spellcaster for DN, but i've had it for at least two levels at the point i get this error.

any idea where Destruction Retribution is in the 2das? i can't find it at all, and that's my next target, since it doesn't seem to work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:01:11 AM by Anaris »

September 03, 2009, 02:20:14 AM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

The feat error is my extremely poor coding error. It's fixed on SVN.

Destruction Retribution is:
FEAT_DESTRUCTION_RETRIBUTION = 4017;

It worked fine for me (negative energy burst when my undead summons were destroyed)

As for disappearing undead qualities - I've manged to track the cause of the problem, should be easy to fix.

September 03, 2009, 10:53:20 AM
Reply #7
  • Adept
    • View Profile

do they have to be destroyed in a particular way? will me hitting them to death produce the effect, because that's how i tested it.

as for that number, i've found the reference for it. i just don't know how to find the script that it's tied to...

and what's SVN?

if i'm asking questions that are answered in some sort of well basic tutorial, do tell me. i am clueless about the code, and the community.

September 03, 2009, 01:28:37 PM
Reply #8

do they have to be destroyed in a particular way? will me hitting them to death produce the effect, because that's how i tested it.

as for that number, i've found the reference for it. i just don't know how to find the script that it's tied to...

and what's SVN?

if i'm asking questions that are answered in some sort of well basic tutorial, do tell me. i am clueless about the code, and the community.

I'm wonder if it only works when something besides your character kills them?
HEATSTROKE

September 03, 2009, 03:16:54 PM
Reply #9
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

that's something i now suspect, and shall test forthwith!

in the meantime, still looking for the associated script.

EDIT:

okay, this is confusing me now. Destruction Retribution works for Create Undead and Create Greater Undead, but not Animate Dead or the Summon Undead spells.

i also just saw a greater mummy die and the burst was thirty feet away from it, where the minotaur chieftains who killed it with bolt attacks were.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:53:04 PM by Anaris »

September 04, 2009, 08:39:46 AM
Reply #10
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

It doesn't matter who kills your undead - they should explode with negative energy.

You can find code for this feat in prc_npc_death.nss.

I have changed one line in this script, from:
Code: [Select]
location lTarget = PRCGetSpellTargetLocation();
to:
Code: [Select]
location lTarget = GetLocation(OBJECT_SELF);

And I have no problems with it so far (works for all undead summons created by my 20th level Dread Necro)

September 04, 2009, 09:45:12 AM
Reply #11
  • Adept
    • View Profile

And I have no problems with it so far (works for all undead summons created by my 20th level Dread Necro)

made that line change, will check later. thing is, it doesn't seem like that will alter the issue. could it have something to do with the loss of undead qualities on rest, would they also lose corpsecrafter bonii?

September 04, 2009, 10:32:26 AM
Reply #12
    • View Profile

made that line change, will check later. thing is, it doesn't seem like that will alter the issue. could it have something to do with the loss of undead qualities on rest, would they also lose corpsecrafter bonii?

I don't think so, but you can check that - destroy your undeads before rest (while they still have undead qualities). BTW I have fixed that issue - all 'qualities' were applied as item properties on creature's hide, and they were removed on rest by ScrubPCSkin(). I've changed the function so it will not affect summons and shapeshifted/polymorphed creatures.