Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Selectable metamagic for spontaneous casters?  (Read 20024 times)

September 16, 2009, 10:34:27 PM
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Would it be possible to add [unlimited-use] metamagic feat abilities for all spontaneous spell casters? It would function similarly to the "sudden" metamagic feat line, only working as regular metamagic does, consuming a higher level spell slot.

I think it would be far more intuitive (and quickslot-friendly) than the current system which assigns duplicate spell feats for each metamagic feat you take.

September 17, 2009, 01:12:17 AM
Reply #1

Quote from: N-S

Would it be possible to add [unlimited-use] metamagic feat abilities for all spontaneous spell casters? It would function similarly to the "sudden" metamagic feat line, only working as regular metamagic does, consuming a higher level spell slot.

I think it would be far more intuitive (and quickslot-friendly) than the current system which assigns duplicate spell feats for each metamagic feat you take.

I believe that the metamagic system is hardcoded, and the only work around was using duplicate spell feats. At least until someone can figure out something better.

September 17, 2009, 08:15:24 AM
Reply #2

Quote from: ZZGashi

I believe that the metamagic system is hardcoded, and the only work around was using duplicate spell feats. At least until someone can figure out something better.

Pretty much. Psionics works this way, so it is possible to do for spontaneous casters that use the PRC spellbook. Just very, very time consuming to do.

September 17, 2009, 09:26:42 AM
Reply #3
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Oh, I suppose I should have specified the new spellbook system. I don't find using metamagic with the original spontaneous BioWare system difficult to use at all -- since there are (generally) fewer spells and all categorized by level it makes it possible to quickslot everything or to cast by using the numpad.

Thanks for the replies! I wasn't sure how the PRC works, so I'm glad to hear it can be done. I have very little nwscript experience, but many years in C++ and other C-like scripting languages, so if no one else picks this up I'll at least attempt it.

September 17, 2009, 10:04:35 AM
Reply #4

I have very little nwscript experience, but many years in C++ and other C-like scripting languages, so if no one else picks this up I'll at least attempt it.

If this is true, you should have *no* problems with NWScript.
HEATSTROKE

September 18, 2009, 01:55:49 AM
Reply #5

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 01:56:37 AM by ZZGashi »

September 19, 2009, 01:31:02 AM
Reply #6
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Thanks for the link :). I'll be sure to let everyone know if I start on this. I also want to add a dialog entry for selecting every spell during level-up if possible.

September 19, 2009, 10:06:29 AM
Reply #7

Thanks for the link :). I'll be sure to let everyone know if I start on this. I also want to add a dialog entry for selecting every spell during level-up if possible.

That one's not possible. There's no ability to modify the levelup screen at all.

September 19, 2009, 11:18:20 AM
Reply #8
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Oh, again I meant with the new spellbook. Sorry! It's just kind of annoying having to hit the '1' key 20 times if you don't need to prepare the spellbook in order to learn all available spells. Or 200 times when importing a character....

September 20, 2009, 08:29:09 PM
Reply #9
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Well, I added the new spell selection option, and that seems to be working out. My real problems lie with adding new metamagic feats. (Trying to understand this tangled mass of spell scripts is giving me a headache!)

I ran into two problems so far. One is that sudden empower/maximize is never un-applied (but that's easy to fix). The second, is that if I understand DnD rules, metamagic is meant to stack together. But the new spellbook system overrides the metamagic value for metamagic spell feats; using Sudden Maximize with Empowered Fireball for example wouldn't work.

I could only come up with the following approach to solve this without involving a lot of refactoring.
1. Calling PRCGetMetaMagicFeat() in NewSpellbookSpell() and combining metamagics.
2. Checking for the new metamagic feat abilities in NewSpellbookSpell() for spontaneous casters -- increasing the spell level in the process -- and combining metamagics. (EDIT: This would not stack with the metamagic spell feats though!)

My question to the kind and generous people of this forum: Can you see anything wrong with this?

Thanks!

(Later edit: I think I found a better way, by adding a UseMetamagicOverride flag to ActionCastSpell() defaulted to off. It uses PRC_METAMAGIC_ADJUSTMENT by default now, which is already handled by PRCGetMetaMagicFeat(). Sounds simple. I just hope it works.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:25:41 PM by N-S »

September 21, 2009, 08:15:40 AM
Reply #10

Its that only casters using the PRC spellbook could do it. Divine casters, wizard and sorcerers using the bioware spellbook would miss out.

Also, a lot of the spells would work with combined metamagic, but some won't because of the way they check what metamagic feats were used (most do a bitwise and, but I don't think all do).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:16:31 AM by fluffyamoeba »

September 21, 2009, 09:23:13 AM
Reply #11
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Ah, I know about the problem with the BioWare spellbook, I just don't mind. I never had complaints using metamagic with it, but I do with the new spellbook system, for 2 reasons: there are far more spells, making quickslotting annoying, and there is no organization, making numpad casting impossible.

Plus, and this part really has me excited, it's going to be so flexible now! I'll probably have a hard time moving back to prepared casters after being able to toggle metamagic at whim, and combine it as well!

Thanks for the info about the spell scripts. I didn't think of that. I completed the new metamagic system last night (except for the spells, I guess I'll need to look at those), but I won't actually have time to test it out until later on this evening. Cheers!

September 21, 2009, 09:50:06 AM
Reply #12
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I had a quick moment, apparently that's going to be quite a bit of work.

PS C:\Users\N-S\Desktop\prc_spells> gci | select-string -pattern "nMetaMagic ==" | measure-object

Count    : 265

September 21, 2009, 02:13:42 PM
Reply #13

I had a quick moment, apparently that's going to be quite a bit of work.

PS C:\Users\N-S\Desktop\prc_spells> gci | select-string -pattern "nMetaMagic ==" | measure-object

Count    : 265

There's possibly some more in the includes too.

September 21, 2009, 09:03:43 PM
Reply #14
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I don't think so. There were 2 instances in the new_spellbook include, but I already fixed those. In fact, it was upon noting the genericity towards metamagic that the thought of combining it occurred to me.

But regardless, even if I hold off on updating all those spell scripts, the worst that will happen is that metamagic won't be applied to a specific spell. I'd probably only be combining it at most 1 out of 20 casts anyway.

Doing this whole thing was incredibly simple, and wouldn't have been possible without the PRC. Thank you (and the rest of the PRC developers) for all the hard work and dedication put into it!