Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Selectable metamagic for spontaneous casters?  (Read 20021 times)

October 04, 2009, 06:15:26 AM
Reply #30
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Fluffy is right, as usual.

A new spellcasting system, that reorganizes the spellbook-related 2das, requires a lot more work "under the hood",
than the - relatively straightforward, but tedious - rewriting of the spell-related includes and the spell scripts.

In particular, it is essential that the PRCs automated make process must be functional all the time (one does not
need Stra'ts occasional reprimand to understand that). The PRC make process is not easy to understand. For
instance, the make file is auto-generated, relying on a complex interplay of external programs to auto-generate
the make file. One essential ingredient to that process are several java routines, that extract information from
the source files (*.nss), use it to generate the make-file, and also build the spellbook-related 2das (spells.2da,
feat.2da, iprp_feat.2da), the tlk- entries, and even the manual from a set of "base" 2das. These java routines have
to be partially rewritten, and one has to have a pretty good understanding of the *whole* make process in order to
minimize unwanted side-effects (such as the manual generator screwing up - Fluffy knows about that ;) ).

Without implementing these changes (and properly testing them before updating the PRC's CVS) multiple metamagics
will remain a private project, only. That has been clear to me from the beginning, however, I must admit that I somewhat
underestimated the "additional" work that must be done within the PRC make process.

October 05, 2009, 10:04:30 PM
Reply #31
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I wasn't trying to suggest how to run things, just remarking on how bad that setup seems to be. Java is the last language I'd choose for a build system due to its inherent verbosity. But why change what already works?

Anyway, about the metamagic stuff. Unless you guys decide that you're OK with spontaneous users being given a significant advantage over prepared casters I can't ever see metamagic combining adopted. It just serves to further break what's already broken (feat-based casting system, to a feat-based casting system with no icons or text for spells).

Doing a container-scroll system like I brought up earlier is probably the only way it could work in a friendly way. One book for each spellcasting class, with custom spell "pages" assigned for each spell variant. It still has its disadvantages: item based, and a little unintuitive.

But until then, I'll be happy to play in singleplayer with my uber sorcerers. Unlike multiplayer it doesn't matter if I'm overpowered.

December 06, 2009, 01:06:43 PM
Reply #32
    • View Profile

Edited the build process to generate single spell-feats for spontaneous casters that would work with selectable metamagic feats.

I don't intend to add combined metamagics at this stage (although combining metamagic and sudden metamagic would be nice).

We'll see how it works ;)

December 07, 2009, 02:10:01 PM
Reply #33
  • Adept
    • View Profile

January 03, 2010, 09:55:06 AM
Reply #34
    • View Profile

Well... I've analyzed the code N-S send to me, read motu99's hints, and wrote the code with some improvements.

Everything seems to work fine :) although it's not perfect yet. I have made spell-feats to be instant cast (no action required) but in consequence spell use is decreased when I start casting (was decreased at the end of the casting - which was wrong anyway ;p ) I'll think of a way to fix this.

Combining sudden and normal metamagic should work as well (need to test that).

So... More testing ;)

January 29, 2010, 06:33:35 AM
Reply #35
    • View Profile

Sorry it took so long.

Here is the test PRC build with selectable metamagics for spont casters:
http://www.easy-share.com/1909136819/PRC3.3h_TEST.rar

It's not revolutionary but IMHO there are some improvements over the old system.

Features:
[ulist=disc]single spell-feats for spontaneous casters
normal & sudden metamagic combining (works with sudden & sudden too)
almost perfect quicken metamagic (thanks Motu99)
spell use decreased from spellhook
...[/ulist]

Please test it and tell me what you think (is it worthy to be included in PRC?)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:43:22 AM by xwarren »