Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Editing Insightful Strike  (Read 16451 times)

October 07, 2009, 11:20:46 PM
Reply #15
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Traditionally the advantage of fighter types is that they have PA/IPA putting their damage range generally outside that of most hybrid builds. But this feat, benefiting from criticals -- it's like a free IPA (and more) with no drawback. It just seems majorly unbalanced. A well-built character with this feat could easily out-damage anything but a smiter or CoT scythe build.

Plus the feat description to me implied it won't be multiplied, but I could be very wrong about that.

About it breaking: I think damage bonuses are capped at +20, and the script doesn't take that into account. But who would have a modified 50 intelligence? I think only a Warblade with its int-to-attack feat.

edit: I just noticed that the Warblade isn't implemented. Either that or it's missing some feats. Too bad, I wanted to make one for some time now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:01:02 AM by N-S »

October 08, 2009, 08:07:54 AM
Reply #16

Quote from: N-S

edit: I just noticed that the Warblade isn't implemented. Either that or it's missing some feats. Too bad, I wanted to make one for some time now.

Weird.  Pretty sure it was selectable in 3.3E or F.
HEATSTROKE

October 08, 2009, 05:35:59 PM
Reply #17
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

I was wrong. I guess I didn't search the scripts hard enough.

100 int + Battle Mastery + Avalanche of Blades = totally awesome.

October 08, 2009, 07:18:33 PM
Reply #18

100 int

Say what?!
HEATSTROKE

October 08, 2009, 08:38:27 PM
Reply #19
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Who knew, illithid elder brains are perfectly suited as warblades! :D Makes a little sense if you recall the brain bug.

October 17, 2009, 03:15:02 PM
Reply #20
  • Adept
    • View Profile

My friends have been trying this out in a tophak to try and fix it, but it is just ignored and goes to the default version. We tested that by adding a line to this that would make the character say something when IS fired.

Can anybody see what we're doing wrong or...?

Code: [Select]

#include "prc_spell_const"
#include "prc_feat_const"
#include "prc_alterations"

void main()
{
    object oPC = PRCGetSpellTargetObject();
    object oRight = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND, oPC);

int iDamageType = (!GetIsObjectValid(oRight)) ? DAMAGE_TYPE_BASE_WEAPON : GetItemDamageType(oRight);
    int nInt = GetAbilityModifier(ABILITY_INTELLIGENCE, oPC);
    int nBonusHold = (nInt > 5) ? nInt + 10 : nInt;     //more efficient int conversion
    int nSwashLevel = GetLevelByClass(60,oPC);

if (nInt > nSwashLevel){
    int nBonus = nSwashLevel;}
    else {
    int nBonus =  nBonusHold;
    }

PRCRemoveEffectsFromSpell(oPC, GetSpellId());

ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, EffectDamageIncrease(nBonus, iDamageType), oPC);
}

Update: Ugh, just saw that the friend I asked to help with the scripting part didn't look at what was actually in this thread. I sent what was suggested to a more...reliable person. I'll  update when I have results on that.

Update2: No dice.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:41:57 PM by Gahlo »

October 17, 2009, 04:26:04 PM
Reply #21
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Uh, there are several problems with that script. In fact, it shouldn't even compile.

I suggest you try the changes I posted earlier.

October 17, 2009, 04:26:47 PM
Reply #22
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I did, as I said in the update.

October 17, 2009, 04:42:55 PM
Reply #23
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

To be quite honest that's such a simple modification that there is no conceivable way in which it won't work as expected.

You didn't say how it isn't working. I'm going to assume that the person compiled the script and didn't just stick the .nss file in a hak.

October 17, 2009, 06:46:43 PM
Reply #24
  • Adept
    • View Profile

To be quite honest that's such a simple modification that there is no conceivable way in which it won't work as expected.

You didn't say how it isn't working. I'm going to assume that the person compiled the script and didn't just stick the .nss file in a hak.

The change isn't working and IS is acting like normal. At level 3 it is still giving +4 to an 18int char.

After I found out what was going on with the first person I asked to help with I had a more reliable friend of mine make the .nss file with the suggestiong you gave.

I looked at the hak and the .nss file to make sure it was a.) There and b.) Was right. It was, so I added it as the tophack and gave it a whirl. Nothing changed. I backed up prc_scripts.hak and changed it there on the off chance that it had to be changed there. Still IS did not act any different than it usually does.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:47:28 PM by Gahlo »

October 18, 2009, 01:14:09 AM
Reply #25
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

NWN doesn't load NSS files. Those are there for convenience. NWN uses the precompiled NCS scripts.

Download nwnnsscomp.exe to a temporary directory. Extract the contents of prc_include.hak to a subfolder named "include" inside the temporary directory. Copy the modified prc_swashdam.nss to the temporary directory. Then open a command prompt window and enter:
cd Desktop\temp -- or wherever nwnnsscomp.exe is located.
nwnnsscomp -cgo -i include prc_swashdam.nss

Now there will be a file named prc_swashdam.ncs inside the temporary directory. Use this file in your hak.

October 18, 2009, 09:19:20 AM
Reply #26
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Alright, got it to work. Thanks for your help guys. :)

October 21, 2009, 01:54:53 PM
Reply #27

Awesome, glad you got to keep your character.
HEATSTROKE

November 03, 2009, 07:52:49 PM
Reply #28
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://deepingdale.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Nah we killed him anyway! this change just made it easier! Muahahahha

Thanks for the help in this we have implemented this and while it may not be "pure" to PnP it allows us to keep this class combo without rescaoing our world to account for this one rather potent combo.