Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: noob questions  (Read 4449 times)

November 05, 2009, 04:26:52 PM

Hello everybody;

I have some simple questions for you all. I am dipping my toes in the prc water and examining if it will work for a new pw I am building.

1. How hard is it to rename the prestige or base classes to fit into the fiction of my world. For instance if I am not a FR world can I modify a Red Wizard of Thay class to a Blue Wizard of prctown?

2. Also how difficult is it to disable some classes or races that I do not want to make available and or have them only available if a persistant database variable is placed on the character in game.

Am I better off just adding shanyas subrace engine and adding a few classes,races that way? I really like the other magic systems and misc features but will only use maybe half the classes and 1/10 races.

If you can point me to any documentation on this that would be great. I am using the custom contect 3.0 guide as a refference but it seems like you all have done a lot or the work already and I can only assume how outdated that thing is.

THANKS!!!!

November 05, 2009, 06:20:38 PM
Reply #1

You would have to edit some .2da files and tlk entries at the very least.  Honestly, it would probably be better to just say "For the purposes of our setting, this class is known as X, so if you take levels in it, don't call yourself by the class name, but use X instead in conversation."

November 05, 2009, 08:42:57 PM
Reply #2

Quote from: DM_Vecna

Hello everybody;

I have some simple questions for you all. I am dipping my toes in the prc water and examining if it will work for a new pw I am building.

1. How hard is it to rename the prestige or base classes to fit into the fiction of my world. For instance if I am not a FR world can I modify a Red Wizard of Thay class to a Blue Wizard of prctown?

2. Also how difficult is it to disable some classes or races that I do not want to make available and or have them only available if a persistant database variable is placed on the character in game.

Am I better off just adding shanyas subrace engine and adding a few classes,races that way? I really like the other magic systems and misc features but will only use maybe half the classes and 1/10 races.

If you can point me to any documentation on this that would be great. I am using the custom contect 3.0 guide as a refference but it seems like you all have done a lot or the work already and I can only assume how outdated that thing is.

THANKS!!!!

1.)  Yes, most TLK editors will find & replace.

2.)  It's just a matter of disabling them in classes.2da & racialtypes.2da respectively.  Literally changing one field in each class / race line.  You can also disable them with variables like you mentioned above.

It's a lot of work, but it's not hard work if you know how to use a TLK editor (I prefer Axe Murderer's) & a 2DA editor.  The main PITA is surprisingly not the Classes & Races, but getting rid of any skills you don't want on your server.  Shayan's Subrace Engine is nice, but compared to the PRC it's still kinda a kludge.  It's also a good bit of work getting how you want it, especially if you're adding custom classes.  You can't have custom base classes at 1st level with Shayan's & I never did get the ELC working right on Athas Reborn.  Here is a pointer.  Keep track of exactly which TLK lines you've edited & make a tka (Talk Table Append) of them once you get it how you like it.  Makes it a lot easier to merge your changes back in when the PRC gets updated.

For documentation look at the NWN Manual link on your left & check out the prc_inc_switch.nss file.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:45:35 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

November 06, 2009, 02:34:16 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile

I would recommend NWN TLK Editor v1.0.0 by Alexander Katz - it has an option to export tlk file as a txt file. You can than edit it with a notepad (or any other text editor) and import back to tlk. You can also easly compare two txt files with some diff tool ;)