Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: How to learn epic spells...  (Read 13911 times)

March 07, 2010, 09:30:04 PM

Excuse me of asking such basic question... but I've searched many places without a solution

I'm using PRC3.3h+CEP2.2+Merge. In the manual, it's said that when reaching caster Lv21, there will be something in the epic spell menu, which can be used to teleport to another place of epic spell learning. But I can't find anything in 'epic spell menu' even when using a mage Lv30+... yes it appears after reaching Lv21, but nothing in it...

Then I found that after PRC3.1 the way of learning epic spells has changed, but I failed learning again. For example:  I use 'PRC Options' to buy a 'Seed of Armor' & a book of Epic Mage Armor, then use the seed, it told me I've learned it. I use PRC Options->Manage Epic Spells and see the list of seed known, and it told me I know 'Seed of Armor' now. Then I use the book, it just shows me the content of the spell, and I'm sure I've reached the demand of learning it. Then I choose PRC Options->Manage Epic Spells->Research Epic Spell, and a container appears. I put the book in it, but nothing happens~ then I close the container, and nothing happens, either... it just tells me 'u lost ...', and doesn't even show whether I succeed or not! And my list of epic spells (Both the epic spell menu and PRC Options->Manage Epic Spells) is still empty...

Maybe some words are not exact, and please forgive my poor English... I hope I describe my problem well. Could anyone please tell me how to learn epic spells in PRC 3.3h? Thanx!

March 08, 2010, 12:44:43 AM
Reply #1
  • Associate
    • View Profile

It has been a while since I worked with an epic spellcasting build, but I think the advice below still holds true.

About the same time the epic spells lab was removed, the PRC also moved away from making epic spelllcasting ability automatic ffor 21+ level casters.  Instead, a caster who knows 9th level spells and has at least a 24 in concentration, lore, and spellcraft can learn the epic spellcasting feat.  ONce you have the feat, the process you are describing at the end of your post should enable you to learn epic spells.

March 08, 2010, 02:08:19 AM
Reply #2

Thanx for replying... but I think I've already taken the feat 'Epic Spellcasting', and still nothing happens...

March 08, 2010, 04:40:36 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

That is odd.  I am aware of a 3.3h glitch with some classes.  Sublime Chord, for example, has no way to buy epic spell supplies.  But for the older classes, I was checking in Flaming Sword's testing module, and the older classes, like wizard, seem unaffected.  In any case, that is clearly not the problem to which you refer.

When next I get a chance, I'll use the testing module to see if the system is still working and report my steps back if I get it to work.

March 08, 2010, 08:24:16 PM
Reply #4

D-load and run PRC Leto. http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1417

Import your .bic file and select the epic spells you want. Under the "FEATS" box, The Epic spellcasting feat ~ 30% of the way down. The Epic Spell list ~ 40% down.

If your skills don't meet the req's, use PRC Leto to mod. Warning: skills modd-ed with PRC Leto can't be increased in-game.

Change name, add .bic extension and save when done. Put into localvault and import into NWN.

If you meet all the req's, you should be good.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist

March 11, 2010, 12:15:53 AM
Reply #5

Thanks all~ but... does that mean there's no way to learn in the game?

March 11, 2010, 04:17:45 AM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

There was a problem with epic spell research placeable - if you put there anything other than epic spellbook strange things happened...

Thought I had fixed that by adding extra tag check (I was sure I tested if it works). Well... turns out it should be a resref check :s

I've attached the fixed file, just unzip it and place it in prc_epicspells.hak.

March 14, 2010, 11:38:22 PM
Reply #7

Thanx~ I'll see whether it'll work...

Another question: epic spells need a spellcaster Lv 21+, which prevents a Lv 20 Favored Soul from using them. But the feat 'Practised Spellcaster' can raise the caster level by 4, so a Lv 20 Favored Soul may have a caster Lv 24. In this case could epic spells be used?

March 15, 2010, 03:20:58 AM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

No, that's not how Practiced Spellcaster feats work - caster level bonus can't exceed your HD - so if you are a lvl 20 character (20 HD) your caster level can't be higher than 20.

Also to cast epic spells you need an epic character (lvl 21+).

March 15, 2010, 04:20:46 PM
Reply #9
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Quote from: xwarren

There was a problem with epic spell research placeable - if you put there anything other than epic spellbook strange things happened...

Thought I had fixed that by adding extra tag check (I was sure I tested if it works). Well... turns out it should be a resref check :s

I've attached the fixed file, just unzip it and place it in prc_epicspells.hak.

Pardon the obvious questions, but does the first part of your reply mean that learning epic spells doesn't work at all currently, or that it does not work only in certain circumstances?

Also, how does one "place" new content in a hak?  (I know, obvious to the PRC scripters, but sadly not obvious to me)?

March 15, 2010, 11:44:44 PM
Reply #10

Quote from: xwarren

No, that's not how Practiced Spellcaster feats work - caster level bonus can't exceed your HD - so if you are a lvl 20 character (20 HD) your caster level can't be higher than 20.

Also to cast epic spells you need an epic character (lvl 21+).

So a Favored Soul Lv20/Champion of Torm Lv4 will do? This is an epic character, and Practised Spellcaster can rise the caster level to 24 this time~ does it work in this way?

March 16, 2010, 04:44:56 AM
Reply #11
    • View Profile

Quote from: Calirion

Pardon the obvious questions, but does the first part of your reply mean that learning epic spells doesn't work at all currently, or that it does not work only in certain circumstances?

Also, how does one "place" new content in a hak? (I know, obvious to the PRC scripters, but sadly not obvious to me)?

It doesn't work in the latest test version (not sure about 3.3h rc1) without that fix :(.  To apply the fix:
1. download the file and unzip it somewhere
2. go to your NWN\utils dir and run nwhak.exe
3. open  prc_epicspells.hak and drag&drop the fix to nwhak window, save the file. That's it.

Quote from: william_iii

So a Favored Soul Lv20/Champion of Torm Lv4 will do? This is an epic character, and Practised Spellcaster can rise the caster level to 24 this time~ does it work in this way?

Yes, that will work ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:07:03 AM by xwarren »

March 16, 2010, 04:52:41 PM
Reply #12
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick and very clear reply!

March 16, 2010, 11:33:58 PM
Reply #13

GREAT! With the fix file it works at last:D! Thanks a lot xwarren!

April 14, 2010, 03:52:02 PM
Reply #14

If I understand correctly: a lvl 10 bard, lvl 4 fighter, lvl 10 sublime chord with the feat Practiced Spellcaster (Bard) can have epic spells?

And what if instead of lvl 4 fighter the build has another spellcasting class. For example a sorceror? Is the caster level then determined by the highest class: bard + feat practiced spellcaster bard + sublime chord?