Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: NWN crashes randomly after installing PRC  (Read 5324 times)

March 17, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

First I'd like to thank the PRC team for all their hard work. I found about PRC just a while ago, and I've been really impressed.

I've got a problem with random crashes. I installed PRC and oc_fix into OC SoU and HotU, and at first it seemed to run perfectly, but after some time it started crashing, about every 15 or 20 minutes. There doesn't seem to bee anything in common with these crashes, they just occur randomly.
I tried to reinstall nwn and put the PRC on a clean install but it didn't help. Could it have something to do with Windows 7? I have 4 cpu  AMD Athlon II 620 processor, Windows 7 and Nvidia Geforce gt 220 if that helps any.

EDIT: now when im loading a game it shows all the classes as barbarian
 Lassi
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:02:34 PM by Elkie »

March 17, 2010, 02:29:15 PM
Reply #1

Quote from: Elkie

First I'd like to thank the PRC team for all their hard work. I found about PRC just a while ago, and I've been really impressed.

I've got a problem with random crashes. I installed PRC and oc_fix into OC SoU and HotU, and at first it seemed to run perfectly, but after some time it started crashing, about every 15 or 20 minutes. There doesn't seem to bee anything in common with these crashes, they just occur randomly.
I tried to reinstall nwn and put the PRC on a clean install but it didn't help. Could it have something to do with Windows 7? I have 4 cpu  AMD Athlon II 620 processor, Windows 7 and Nvidia Geforce gt 220 if that helps any.

EDIT: now when im loading a game it shows all the classes as barbarian
 Lassi

Have you tried checking your RAM with MemTest86?
HEATSTROKE

March 18, 2010, 02:48:15 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I tried running memtest86, and it found no problems with my ram.  I searched all the topics in these forums for same error, and found this:

Stratovarius:
Do you get any errors when it crashes, or do your class names show as Barbarian?

Seems like other people have had the same problem, but i didn't find any information about it.
Stratovarius is an amazing band, by the way :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 02:48:47 PM by Elkie »

March 18, 2010, 03:29:59 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I'm inclined to think the problem is Windows 7.  I know you must be running the program as administrator, or else it wouldn't run at all, but you might also want to try runnng it in XP compatibility mode if you aren't already.  I have observed NWN freezes up occasionally even in  32 bit Vista, and my experience with other older programs suggests they sometimes appear to be working properly but in fact develop glitches over time.  in most cases finding the right compatibility setting seems to do the trick for me.

March 21, 2010, 06:46:30 AM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

NWN used to run properly, before installing PRC, on my Windows 7 computer. I've tried re-installing NWN and without PRC it runs just fine, but every time, after installing PRC it starts crashing.

I was interested in Stratovatius's comment on the other thread as it seems to be a problem encountered before, but i haven't been able to find any information about it on any threads here or elsewhere on internet.
The weirdest thing is, that the character classes all appear as barbarian on the screen where you choose to load a saved game

January 10, 2011, 05:06:42 AM
Reply #5

I also have this problem.
surely there must be a common link?

im playing using the incomplete/buggy (i think?) templates (lich, demilich, half-celestial, etc) and also have CEP with the CEP/PRC merger installed. not sure if any of these things are factors.

i will try to run it in various compatability modes and see what happens

EDIT: both XP, and 98 crashed at about 20-40 minutes
save game still had barbarian portraits

EDIT: alright i think i fixed it, 2 hours no crash

1. reinstalled from scratch
2. patched to 1.69
3. applied PRC, then PRC_OCfix to the OC's
4. made sure to use the NWNX_funcs thing when using templates (eg celestial)
5. did not install CEP
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 01:07:35 AM by serialies »