Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: PRC 3.3h rc2!  (Read 16900 times)

March 21, 2010, 12:23:24 PM
    • View Profile

PRC 3.3h rc2 is out!!!

We have changed whole spellcasting system for PRC classes - the new system offers selectable metamagic feats for spontaneous casters, advanced learning feature for Wamage class, and ability to combine sudden and normal metamagics. The system uses new routine for calculating arcane spell failure (now it is more in-line with PnP rules). You can test this system with our new base class - the Archivist :D

Finally, we've also included a pile of bugfixes and merged some improvements sent to us by CapnQ for Shifter PnP, Shining Blade of Heironeous, Warblade and Shaman classes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:56:04 PM by xwarren »

March 21, 2010, 02:26:57 PM
Reply #1

Quote from: xwarren

PRC 3.3h rc2 is out!!!

We have changed whole spellcasting system for PRC classes - the new system offers selectable metamagic feats for spontaneous casters, advanced learning feature for Wamage class, and ability to combine sudden and normal metamagics. The system uses new routine for calculating arcane spell failure (now it is more in-line with PnP rules). You can test this system with our new base class - the Archivist :D

Finally, we've also included a pile of bugfixes and merged some improvements sent to us by CapnQ for Shifter PnP, Shining Blade of Heironeous, Warblade and Shaman classes.

Awesome work guys!
HEATSTROKE

March 21, 2010, 03:16:36 PM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://deepingdale.proboards.com/index.cgi?

I like it its much better than cats!

March 22, 2010, 05:11:34 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Three things.

One, of course, is me thanking you for the awesome job. The Archivest is freaking AWESOME and I've loved what I've been able to play with. Seems to work well so far, although I haven't tried to learn new spells from scrolls. So good work, and thanks for keeping NwN so awesome.

Number two is a question. I thought that the Soul Eater was edited so that there unarmed attack took away a negative level, or two depending on high high they were. Yet my unarmed attack does not do this. Should I expect to see this in the next release, or did I miss something?

And three is basically need saying that I'll keep an eye out for bugs and post if I find any! =3

March 22, 2010, 07:35:41 AM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

The main reason why this version is still in RC stage is the change in spellcasting system that affects all PRC caster-classes. I've tested the new system quite thoroughly, but can't guarantee it's bug-free.

For compatibility with older characters I've added a script 'prc_wipeNSB.nss'.
To execute it in SP mode you need to turn on PRC_DEBUG switch and go to 'PRC Options' again. You will notice a new dialog choice: 'Wipe PRC spellbooks'. Choose it and wait about 10 seconds, than rest. After rest you must select new spells for your character.
I'm sure PW builders will add other options to execute this script on player characters (an altar, book or sth ;p).

Sorry, Soul Eater, Shaman bonus feats and domain casting were not changed in this release.

March 22, 2010, 08:45:46 AM
Reply #5
  • Developer
    • View Profile

The main reason why this version is still in RC stage is the change in spellcasting system that affects all PRC caster-classes. I've tested the new system quite thoroughly, but can't guarantee it's bug-free.

For compatibility with older characters I've added a script 'prc_wipeNSB.nss'.
To execute it in SP mode you need to turn on PRC_DEBUG switch and go to 'PRC Options' again. You will notice a new dialog choice: 'Wipe PRC spellbooks'. Choose it and wait about 10 seconds, than rest. After rest you must select new spells for your character.
I'm sure PW builders will add other options to execute this script on player characters (an altar, book or sth ;p).

Sorry, Soul Eater, Shaman bonus feats and domain casting were not changed in this release.

I have the Soul Eater changes (and a bunch of others) in a batch of changes that I'm planning to submit very soon, maybe today. Whether it gets into this release is up to xwarren.

March 22, 2010, 08:47:55 AM
Reply #6
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Was someone requesting changes in the Shaman bonus feats? If so, I could maybe take a look at it (not for this release).

March 22, 2010, 09:43:47 AM
Reply #7

Besides the Archivist,  any new classes?

March 22, 2010, 10:18:31 AM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

Nope, just new spellcasting system and some other fixes. I hope I'll add Beguiler in next release :}

March 22, 2010, 01:06:07 PM
Reply #9
  • Developer
    • View Profile

For what it's worth, here's the patch I mentioned above: https://0C0ZKNFMVHWAREQZT5G2@s3.amazonaws.com/NWN/nwnprc.patch

The most recent changes aren't tested quite as well as I'd like, but I did use them for several hours yesterday and they seemed to be working fine.

Here's what I changed:

SHIFTER
-------
* Create new Shifter "Learn Shape" feat that learns a shape from a selected creature without shifting into it
* Make effect (natural AC, AB/skill/save bonus/penalty, etc.) application faster by using PRC's CastSpellAtObject instead of NWN's Rod of Wonder
* Decrease the time between removing the old form and adding the new one when shifting
* Fix bug in shape delete code
* Fix "Too Many Instructions" error when shifting to shape with a *lot* of feats (e.g. Kingdom of Bortiis module)
* Add new "Skip Level" choice in the "Learn Shapes" conversation
* Minor adjustments to new shape packages
* More accurate estimation of shape's natural AC.
* Reorganize code to separate printing shape information from shifting--this should make shifting faster and allow printing from other places
* Improve shape information that is printed when shifting
* Add new "Print Shape" conversation option to print details about any known shape without shifting into it
* Add new "Explore Shape Packages" conversation option to print details about any shape in any package (so you can know what you're picking)
* Create a shifter re-level script that resets learned shape level and package choices so that they can be re-chosen
* Create a shifter debug script that shows all item properties and effects for PC and all equipped items (this should help debug shifter issues)

SHINING BLADE OF HEIRONEOUS
-------------
* Brilliant/Holy/Shock Blade bonuses reapply correctly when weapons are equipped and unequipped.
* Brilliant Blade attack bonus no longer incorrectly provides DR penetration.

SOUL EATER
-------------
* Implement "OnHit Cast Spell: Energy Drain" when fighting with creature weapons or unarmed wearing gloves.

FIST OF HEXTOR
-------------
* Fixed Fist of Hextor alignment requirement. It used to allow everything but Chaotic Good. I've improved it, but can't get it just right--it still allows true neutral. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't see how to allow only LE, NE, LN, as it should.
* Fist of Hextor's "Brutal Strike" feat is now switchable (you choose whether to apply the bonus to attack or damage in combat, not at level-up)

March 22, 2010, 01:34:43 PM
Reply #10
    • View Profile

Thank you CapnQ!

I've downloaded the patch and will try to merge it ASAP. Than will think about update for this release.

About the shaman's bonus feats:
http://www.nwnprc.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=465
I was thinking about the way to fix that. The solution would be adding some more feats from 'Oriental Adventures', but I haven't checked those yet.

BTW I like your tlk fixes (my English is far from being prefect, so I can't help here), but do Shamans really get 4 + Wis mod skill points???
:P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:37:42 PM by xwarren »

March 22, 2010, 02:48:59 PM
Reply #11
  • Developer
    • View Profile

BTW I like your tlk fixes (my English is far from being prefect, so I can't help here), but do Shamans really get 4 + Wis mod skill points???
:P

Oops! Good catch. I misread it as saying that the spells were INT base and changed it to WIS.

March 23, 2010, 01:44:01 PM
Reply #12
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Congratulations. Having dabbled into the spellcasting system myself, I think it is not overly exaggerated to say, that is it highly interrelated with virtually everything the PRC offers. IMO it quite impossible (for a single developer working during her/his spare time) to test all possible combinations within the time frame it took to develop the new system. The  RC stage will help to make sure, that there are no game breaking bugs.

Keep up the good work!

March 25, 2010, 03:06:03 PM
Reply #13
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Thank you CapnQ!

I've downloaded the patch and will try to merge it ASAP. Than will think about update for this release.

I sent you a PM about this, but you can ignore it. I noticed that some of the files I thought I had sent you didn't get merged in with the rest of the changes, but when I looked at my patch, it turns out I failed to include the missing files in the patch. So here's a patch to add the missing files:

https://0C0ZKNFMVHWAREQZT5G2@s3.amazonaws.com/NWN/nwnprc2.patch

Not all of the missing files are necessary (some are scripts that I have found useful for debugging), but some are. Without those necessary files, the Fist of Hextor, Shining Blade, and Shifter (PnP) classes, and perhaps some others, will be broken.

Sorry about the oversight! I guess that's what comes of having such a mammoth patch. I'll work on having more but smaller patches in the future.

March 26, 2010, 02:55:06 PM
Reply #14
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: CapnQ

Thank you CapnQ!

I sent you a PM about this, but you can ignore it. I noticed that some of the files I thought I had sent you didn't get merged in with the rest of the changes, but when I looked at my patch, it turns out I failed to include the missing files in the patch. So here's a patch to add the missing files:

https://0C0ZKNFMVHWAREQZT5G2@s3.amazonaws.com/NWN/nwnprc2.patch

Not all of the missing files are necessary (some are scripts that I have found useful for debugging), but some are. Without those necessary files, the Fist of Hextor, Shining Blade, and Shifter (PnP) classes, and perhaps some others, will be broken.

Sorry about the oversight! I guess that's what comes of having such a mammoth patch. I'll work on having more but smaller patches in the future.

I notice you applied this patch, but some of the files in it seem not to have have been checked in.

These necessary files appear to be missing:

scripts/prc_sbheir.nss
scripts/prc_sleat.nss

In addition, these scripts that are useful for debugging or fixing problems are also missing:

scripts/prc_shifter_relevel.nss
scripts/prc_shifter_debug.nss

Thanks.