Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Heartwarder Domains  (Read 4085 times)

April 17, 2010, 01:05:20 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I have a Spellfire Channeler and I wish to add the Heartwarder PrC (more charisma = better spellfire ability DC), and in figuring out the right base class for this mix I find myself having a beef with the domain requirements.

You decided that the "must worship Sune" sourcebook requirement is best translated to NWN as "must select two out of three domains".Can that be changed into something more harmless, for example by making a character select a special "Sune Worshipper" feat at character creation? It would work pretty much like the Disciple of Darkness feat.

You'd lose one feat at the beginning, yes. The problem with a double domain requirement means *any* divine caster that doesn't receive domains is unable to become a Heartwarder.. which actually means nearly all divine casters. I do understand the need for PrC restrictions, it just seems to me like this one is a little unfair to non-cleric divine spellcasters. They can come in handy too.

April 17, 2010, 01:35:01 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Actually, the requirement for Sune domains is enforced only in case of clerics - other divine spellcasters can enter the class freely (if they can cast 3rd level spells, of course).

I played once Nymph Druid/Heartwarder, so I'm 100% sure about that ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:36:34 PM by xwarren »

April 17, 2010, 02:16:11 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Ooohh..  :D

I've been thinking of a replacement class the entire afternoon. I could kiss you. ;)

May 22, 2010, 01:43:42 AM
Reply #3

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was curious...

This may have been posted a million times, so if it has my search-fu is not strong (and I apologize!), but if it's the case that any divine caster can enter into this PrC pretty freely, I'm wondering why you have to be a divine caster, rather than any caster of level 3 spells.

I don't have many 3rd edition books, but from what I've been able to find, there's no such restriction (divine spellcaster only). And with Kaedrin's PrC pack for NWN2, again, the divine caster prerequisite doesn't exist. The necessary feats are already such that it's a tall order on arcane casters, and it seems doubly punitive for Cleric's if they have to take two specific domains to access a class any other divine caster can waltz into.

Not that this is a huge issue or anything (since it's not a particularly "strong" PrC), I'm just wondering where the decision comes from.

/end threadjack

May 22, 2010, 10:33:54 AM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

That's probably because of NWNs limitations.

In PnP you would have to choose to which class add bonus caster levels and you can't do that in NWN - you can't have a class that would improve divine OR arcane spellcasting (but class that improves divine AND arcane spellcasting at the same time is possible though).

There is a workaround for this - creating two separate classes (ie Heartwarder (Divine) and Heartwarder (Arcane)) but that's not very elegant solution. I guess whoever code that class chose not to do that.