Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: NEW High RP PRC/CEP Persistent World Module in the Works!  (Read 7752 times)

May 03, 2010, 01:25:50 PM

Hello everyone!

A  PW Module with PRC 3.3h RC2 + CEP 2.3c  known as Visions in Darkness has been in the works (we are expected to go into testing this week, on Tuesday or shortly after). The module is equipped with both of these haks and seems to be functioning without error. However, we have some concerns about the lag that may be caused by combining the two (there is a one time 1-10 minute lag spike for most people on log-in), and we are considering downgrading to PRC 3.3h RC1 in hopes that will speed things up.

If you are interested in collaborating on the project by testing, developing, potentially DMing, faction leading or simply playing, be sure to let me know! Please feel free to check out (and register) on our forums at http://vid.atforums.net/

Visions in Darkness utilizes the 3.5 Edition Ruleset (since 4.0 eliminates so many great RP options), and is set in Faerun in the East Wall, a bordering mountainous region on the east of Halruaa. The module is designed for High RP/Low Drop Rate/Low EXP Rate and persistent player-run politics.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:07:02 PM by C_aribou »
Visions in Darkness: The East Wall (PRC + CEP)
Forum Admin, Head DM and Module Writer

May 03, 2010, 04:07:51 PM
Reply #1

Why are you getting that much log-in lag?
HEATSTROKE

May 03, 2010, 06:03:47 PM
Reply #2

A very good question, that I was hoping could be answered! I suspect it has something to do with the combination of the two massive hakpaks? I am wondering if there is a way to bypass it, because I would hope to be able to use CEP 2.3c and PRC 3.3h RC2 - however such an amount of lag is really not player-friendly at all (even though it is temporary and only occurs for a few minutes after logging in).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:06:30 PM by C_aribou »

May 03, 2010, 06:18:20 PM
Reply #3

(...)You know if you add latest PRC into module, player joining your module waits like 1minute each log-in because of some engine issue, guess its 2da client/server comparing (PRCs 2da got like 20k lines, feats/spells). Then add 5Gigabytes hakpacks and another 20k lines 2das (appearance/tailtypes/placeables) and player will wait like 2minutes before he would be finally allowed to play on your module. Not very player friendly, what do you think? (Great sever machine don not solve this issue)(...)
- pvp-master

May 03, 2010, 07:22:45 PM
Reply #4

While my PW only has 2.5 Gb of custom content, not including the PRC 3.3h rc2 & CEP 2.3, it doesn't take anywhere near that long to join the server.  Are you running a DB / NWNx backend?
HEATSTROKE

May 03, 2010, 10:12:55 PM
Reply #5

Interesting. No, not yet but we will be using NWNX2 for the PRC Server once we go live.

May 04, 2010, 05:13:08 PM
Reply #6

using the prc server pack that includes a version of nwnx2 is your best bet. using nwnx2 will reduce the amount of lag the prc causes .

May 05, 2010, 04:38:12 AM
Reply #7

That's what I suspected. However, it seems we are now running into some more issues with making the server functional and playable. It seems to be crashing, and experiencing some random bugs (though these are relatively minor and could be ignored).

Is there any specific instructions/advice to getting a multiplayer server with CEP 2.3c + PRC3.3h RC2 to function relatively well? At least so things are playable and people can sign on, etc. I will have our Head DEV post something here to describe the issue more in-depth - any help is very appreciated. If you would like to get in contact with me directly (which would be much appreciated) please MSN me, or register on our forums and use PMs.

May 05, 2010, 05:02:15 AM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

Well for PRC/CEP server I would use:
[ulist=disc]PRC
CEP
PRC/CEP merge
PRC Server Pack[/ulist]

You will find instructions on how to configure database and ConvoCC in the manual. If you had any other questions do not hesitate to ask on our chat ;)

May 05, 2010, 06:19:29 AM
Reply #9

Thank you very much, we shall keep in touch. We shall no doubt launch into Testing Phase (under Technical Support, though still quite playable as we continue to add in more and more content) soon, and hopefully swiftly after into a full launch in the RP section - just in time for Summer!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 08:05:58 AM by C_aribou »