Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: OS X Install  (Read 8409 times)

July 06, 2010, 10:57:49 PM

The last post about OS X I've been able to find on this forum was back about 6 pages, and I've been unable to solve my problem on my own, so it's time to give the community a shot.

I downloaded the latest PRC pack, the Character Creator (a Java application) and attempted to update my version of NWN Diamond to use the new classes and whatnot.

I loaded up the manual online and followed the installation instructions as closely as I could, barring the fact that I didn't have a directory for Tlk and my Erf files went into the Texture directory (with the only other .erf files I could find, is this correct?) instead of a new directory called Erf.

When I run the character creator I get nothing new, and when I attempt to load characters I know were created with the PRC, I get an error alerting me to a bad strref.

Should I have created new folders for .tlk and .erf?  Am I missing something really important?

I've done more complicated (and convoluted) installations for games before, which makes me think I'm missing something really basic with this, but I can't see it.  Anyone have any ideas?

edit:

I've now gotten my extra races to work, but no extra classes yet.  Is there a certain order my .hak files should be in?  Also, loading the prc_2das.hak file causes the Character Creator to crash, while all the others work fine.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:33:51 AM by flawlesscowboy »

July 07, 2010, 03:00:00 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Should I have created new folders for .tlk and .erf? Am I missing something really important?

Yes, you should create new folders for .tlk and erf files. Without tlk file you will always get badstrref errors.

You also need to set-up Character Creator correctly - see picture in step 5:
http://www.nwnprc.com//nwn/english/content/installation/jcc.htm

Is there a version of Toolset for Macs?

July 07, 2010, 09:52:27 AM
Reply #2

Quote from: xwarren

Should I have created new folders for .tlk and .erf? Am I missing something really important?

Yes, you should create new folders for .tlk and erf files. Without tlk file you will always get badstrref errors.

You also need to set-up Character Creator correctly - see picture in step 5:
http://www.nwnprc.com//nwn/english/content/installation/jcc.htm

Is there a version of Toolset for Macs?

Just NeverEdit.
HEATSTROKE

July 07, 2010, 11:17:36 AM
Reply #3

Okay, I've created folders for the two .erf files and the one .tlk file, but the 2das.hak file still causes the Character Creator to crash, even when I set up my settings exactly as pictured in the link provided.  (Just textures, races, and 2das .hak files loaded, none of the other provided ones, in the same order as well, despite the page clearly saying order was unimportant.  You never know!)

Do I need Neveredit for something?

July 07, 2010, 05:41:52 PM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

Quote from: flawlesscowboy

Okay, I've created folders for the two .erf files and the one .tlk file, but the 2das.hak file still causes the Character Creator to crash, even when I set up my settings exactly as pictured in the link provided.  (Just textures, races, and 2das .hak files loaded, none of the other provided ones, in the same order as well, despite the page clearly saying order was unimportant.  You never know!)

Do I need Neveredit for something?

Try different command line options - on my Windows I use this command to start CC:
Code: [Select]
java -Xmx200M -Xms200M -jar CC.jar
not sure how CMD works on Macs ;p

July 07, 2010, 06:26:05 PM
Reply #5

Okay, time for good news/bad news:

The good: Running java -Xmx200M -Xms200M -jar <file path for my cc.jar file> in my Terminal works, causing both the CC.jar file to load, run the correct .hak files, and allows me to select the new races and classes.

The bad: strref errors still plague any files I had previously which required the PRC (Celestial Avenger is I think the name) or any new characters I make with the new classes.  Furthermore, none of the new classes show up in the "choose existing character" screen.  For instance, my Psion is listed as a Barbarian.  I'm not sure if this is how it works or not, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

So where do I go from here?  I can crack open terminal and make characters now, but I'm unable to actually play them.  I've ensured all files are in their appropriate directories and I've followed the provided instructions so far, but this bad strref is driving me crazy!

edit:

Just for reference, if I run java -jar <file path for my cc.jar file> I get this in my terminal window:

Snow-Crash:~ flawlesscowboy$ java -jar /Users/flawlesscowboy/Desktop/CC_Mac.sit\ Folder/CC.jar
Number of haks: 1
Hak 0 is /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/hak/prc_2das.hak
AltTLKFile /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/tlk/prc_consortium.tlk exists.
Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
        at CharacterCreator.ResourceFactory.SetToResource(ResourceFactory.java:108)
        at CharacterCreator.ResourceFactory.getResourceAs2DA(ResourceFactory.java:612)
        at CharacterCreator.FeatMap.InitializeStatics(FeatMap.java:13)
        at CharacterCreator.TLKFactory.<init>(TLKFactory.java:101)
        at CharacterCreator.MainMenu$6.construct(MainMenu.java:314)
        at CharacterCreator.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:94)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

But when I use the exact code provided I instead see this:

Snow-Crash:~ flawlesscowboy$ java -Xmx200M -Xms200M -jar /Users/flawlesscowboy/Desktop/CC_Mac.sit\ Folder/CC.jar
Number of haks: 3
Hak 0 is /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/hak/prc_2das.hak
Hak 1 is /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/hak/prc_textures.hak
Hak 2 is /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/hak/prc_race.hak
AltTLKFile /Applications/Neverwinter Nights/tlk/prc_consortium.tlk exists.
Invalid icon: isk_x3_ride.tga
Invalid icon - Unhandled Color Depth: 8: isk_alchemy.tga
Filename according to the bic: m_Sarevok
Invalid icon: ife_x3_horse.tga
Wing: 0
Tail: 0
no NativeFmod in java.library.path
no NativeFmodCe in java.library.path
Could not load sound module!

The last two lines I can't even tell you what they're for, and the sound modules obviously failed to load for voices.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:30:05 PM by flawlesscowboy »

July 07, 2010, 07:04:47 PM
Reply #6

You did run the module updater for every module you want to use the PRC stuff in eh? (stupid question I know, but it must be asked...)

Also the OCs need the oc fix run on them too...

July 07, 2010, 08:36:24 PM
Reply #7

Furthermore, none of the new classes show up in the "choose existing character" screen.  For instance, my Psion is listed as a Barbarian.  I'm not sure if this is how it works or not, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

They won't until the TLK file is loaded.

P.S. I love SnowCrash.
HEATSTROKE

July 07, 2010, 09:20:54 PM
Reply #8

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

P.S. I love SnowCrash.

It is a great book! :)

As for the .tlk files and the updating of modules: No, I had not done that, don't ask me why, I'm not sure.  I guess I just blacked out and skipped over those steps?  Regardless, I've investigated that avenue as well, having gotten a copy (several, actually, as you'll see) of Neveredit and attempting to fix those .mod files so they'd work.

However, the latest version(s) of Neveredit (0.8 and beyond) are unable to completely open themselves on my computer (I'm not sure why) and the prior versions (which do work) are unable to add custom .tlk files.

So, I'm in a strange bind.  As I mentioned, I don't know why the 0.8 editions don't work, especially while the older ones do, but as the developer seems to have stopped developing it, I don't think this issue will get resolved anytime soon.

I do have a question, however, about needing to fix the OC files:

Will editing all the .mod files do this?  None of them have names relating to the OC as far as I can tell ("To Heir is Human" for instance) and I'm not sure if there are some specific files I need to edit to change the OC.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

July 08, 2010, 07:48:48 AM
Reply #9

P.S. I love SnowCrash.

It is a great book! :)

As for the .tlk files and the updating of modules: No, I had not done that, don't ask me why, I'm not sure.  I guess I just blacked out and skipped over those steps?  Regardless, I've investigated that avenue as well, having gotten a copy (several, actually, as you'll see) of Neveredit and attempting to fix those .mod files so they'd work.

However, the latest version(s) of Neveredit (0.8 and beyond) are unable to completely open themselves on my computer (I'm not sure why) and the prior versions (which do work) are unable to add custom .tlk files.

So, I'm in a strange bind.  As I mentioned, I don't know why the 0.8 editions don't work, especially while the older ones do, but as the developer seems to have stopped developing it, I don't think this issue will get resolved anytime soon.

I do have a question, however, about needing to fix the OC files:

Will editing all the .mod files do this?  None of them have names relating to the OC as far as I can tell ("To Heir is Human" for instance) and I'm not sure if there are some specific files I need to edit to change the OC.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

The OC/SoUI/HotU module files are kept in the NWM folder.  You may have to rename the extension from .NWM to .MOD to get the Toolset / NeverEdit to recognize them.

I guess you don't have a copy of Windows 98/2000/XP you can run thru VirtualBox or some other Windows Emulator to get the Toolset / PRC Updater working?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:59:34 AM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

July 08, 2010, 09:25:39 AM
Reply #10

The OC/SoUI/HotU module files are kept in the NWM folder.  You may have to rename the extension from .NWM to .MOD to get the Toolset / NeverEdit to recognize them.

I guess you don't have a copy of Windows 98/2000/XP you can run thru VirtualBox or some other Windows Emulator to get the Toolset / PRC Updater working?

Nope, unfortunately I don't :(  I know my computer is ancient (practically a fossil by technology's standards) and I'm working on hopefully soon getting another one together but in the meantime I suppose I'll just have to enjoy NWN in the classic way!

July 08, 2010, 09:55:04 AM
Reply #11

Nope, unfortunately I don't :(  I know my computer is ancient (practically a fossil by technology's standards) and I'm working on hopefully soon getting another one together but in the meantime I suppose I'll just have to enjoy NWN in the classic way!

Nah, I'll fix the OC modules up for you & PM you a link to them in a few minutes.
HEATSTROKE

July 08, 2010, 03:49:25 PM
Reply #12

You are awesome!  Thank you so much, you've indefinitely extended my enjoyment of this already enormous game!

This has been one of those shining success stories to come from a help forum, and I will do my best to emulate the example provided here in as many ways as I can.

Now I just have to figure out the nuances of all these classes! ;)

July 08, 2010, 04:53:35 PM
Reply #13

You are awesome!  Thank you so much, you've indefinitely extended my enjoyment of this already enormous game!

This has been one of those shining success stories to come from a help forum, and I will do my best to emulate the example provided here in as many ways as I can.

You're welcome. :D
HEATSTROKE

July 08, 2010, 05:52:31 PM
Reply #14
    • View Profile

You're welcome. :D

I second that, you are great DM Heatstroke!