Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Spell sneak attacks?  (Read 4901 times)

August 26, 2010, 06:27:20 PM

I was reading http://www.nwnprc.com/articles.php?article_id=15 and decided I would roll an Arcane Trickster build.

I am currently a 1 wizard/1 rogue, and yet I don't seem to be getting sneak attacks on my spells.  I have tried both Burning Bolt (ranged touch), and Shocking Grasp (melee touch), yet both do standard damage when I would've gotten a sneak attack through a regular attack.

What seems to be the deal?

August 26, 2010, 07:22:38 PM
Reply #1

Sneak attacks by default only affect attacks made by melee/ranged weapons. There may be a way to get them to work on touch attack spells, but I do not know it.

August 27, 2010, 05:56:35 AM
Reply #2

Quote from: Einzbern

I was reading http://www.nwnprc.com/articles.php?article_id=15 and decided I would roll an Arcane Trickster build.

I am currently a 1 wizard/1 rogue, and yet I don't seem to be getting sneak attacks on my spells.  I have tried both Burning Bolt (ranged touch), and Shocking Grasp (melee touch), yet both do standard damage when I would've gotten a sneak attack through a regular attack.

What seems to be the deal?

Do you have the spell sneak attack switch turned off?  They work just fine for me.

Are you sure that you caught your target flatfooted?  Try paralyzing them, that will always give a sneak attack.
HEATSTROKE

August 27, 2010, 09:44:49 AM
Reply #3

I never turned anything off afaik, nor do I know how to, so unless they're off by default they should be on.

I was testing it on the dummies in the Academy prologue, and it didn't work on any of them. When I would do a regular attack from the same position I would get a sneak attack.

September 04, 2010, 03:17:32 PM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Spell sneak attack doesn't seem to be as forgiving as regulra sneak attacks.   I haven't played assassin, but from what i hear of that class, the spell sneak attack works more like the death attack.

In my experience, your best bet for landing spell sneak attacks, is to first disable/stun the target, with bewildering cloud or something.    Or be undetected (and hasted).  Then if you're close enough, your spell sneak attacks should happen 100%.   Otherwise its very hit and miss.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:17:54 PM by Keshi »

September 05, 2010, 11:25:20 AM
Reply #5

Quote from: Einzbern

I never turned anything off afaik, nor do I know how to, so unless they're off by default they should be on.

I was testing it on the dummies in the Academy prologue, and it didn't work on any of them. When I would do a regular attack from the same position I would get a sneak attack.

Aren't the dummies constructs & therefore immune?
HEATSTROKE