Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Enduring Appeal of the PRC  (Read 5822 times)

March 09, 2011, 03:23:23 PM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I just couldn't resist pointing out that new members continue to join this site even after the January 20 announcement.  Sadly, most NWN users never did take much of a look at the PRC, but those who do almost invariably seem to become hooked.  I only wish most of the commercially produced games were half as good as NWN with the PRC.  More recent releases may have better graphics, but the sheer variety of characters and strategies the PRC makes possible exists nowhere else.

EDIT:  By the way, I just noticed that the template system has been cleaned up.  That's just another example of a great way to enhance the variety of the game.

EDIT: Of course, I was aiming for the PRC for NWN general discussion and missed!  Sorry about that.  I can't seem to get it moved.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:28:44 PM by Calirion »

March 15, 2011, 03:38:18 AM
Reply #1
  • Adept
    • View Profile
    • http://nwnprc.com/

Thread moved to NWN general discussion.

March 28, 2011, 02:04:41 PM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: Calirion

I just couldn't resist pointing out that new members continue to join this site even after the January 20 announcement.  Sadly, most NWN users never did take much of a look at the PRC, but those who do almost invariably seem to become hooked.  I only wish most of the commercially produced games were half as good as NWN with the PRC.  More recent releases may have better graphics, but the sheer variety of characters and strategies the PRC makes possible exists nowhere else.

I know exactly what your saying Calirion. Its true many have moved on to the flashier new games, I did too. But I always end up returning to play NWN+PRC. The game still works perfectly (I'm using Vista Ultimate 64), built in widescreen support, EAX 3 is good sound. I'll never uninstall it as I just can't see anything replacing it. What else has this kind of replay value? I played Dragon Age for 3 months, uninstalled now. To this very day I'm still playing NWN and will continue to in the future.

Besides from what I gather, its not the end, end. Was kinda hoping they would add more Drow classes (Arachmancer, etc), and maybe a vampire template or the DN varients. Thats my wishlist anyway.

March 30, 2011, 05:31:34 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Vampire template has always been on my wish list as well. Actually, I can remember people asking for that early, early in the PRC's evolution.   Now the template system is really up and running, perhaps it wouldn't be as hard as before.  A lot of the basic undead features are already well implemented in necropolitan, lich, and demilich.  All that would be needed would be for someone to take the basic undead features and add the vampire specifics--granted, some of those might be taxing.  Still, at least some  of the groundwork has been laid.

By the way, I played the demilich not so long ago (with a cleric/dread necro/true necro combination, so I got lich automatically and just needed to add demilich).  Now there is a great template implementation!  True, the template is different from that implemented for the lich/demilich class, so the damage reduction isn't quite as absolute, but that probably makes a better balance for game play (so a really powerful opponent can damange a demilich physically).  Various spell-casting enhancements and a real fear aura certainly help.  For high level games one can create a very powerful but also very flavorful undead character.  As always, the PRC team has done a great job.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:32:12 PM by Calirion »

April 29, 2011, 06:14:30 PM
Reply #4

May 02, 2011, 10:29:20 AM
Reply #5

Xwarren is still working on new stuff. :D
HEATSTROKE

May 02, 2011, 02:09:53 PM
Reply #6
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

Xwarren is still working on new stuff. :D

I am too, to a much lesser extent. Mostly fixing bugs or improving stuff that already exists--especially the PnP Shifter class.