Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Dread Necro epic  (Read 8422 times)

January 19, 2012, 02:15:02 PM
  • Associate
    • View Profile

How hard would it be to extend Dread Necro beyond 20th level?  Also, What is the best option to get Epic Spellcasting for a Dread Necro (i.e. a Pure Dread Necro caster can't see Epic Spells on radial menu)?

January 19, 2012, 07:54:40 PM
Reply #1
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Is it as simple as changing the max level variable from 20 to 40 in classes.2da?

January 19, 2012, 08:53:46 PM
Reply #2

Is it as simple as changing the max level variable from 20 to 40 in classes.2da?

You'd have to do that & edit the other related class 2da files for bonus feats, skills, etc.
HEATSTROKE

January 19, 2012, 09:40:24 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

As far as I can tell, they are already taken care of.

January 19, 2012, 10:59:22 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I seem to remember Strat suggesting Shadow Adept in a post long ago as an appropriate prestige class in this situation.  Personally, I tend to go with Dread Necro 20/Cleric 5/True Necro 15.   Yes, I know that is not an optimal True Necro, but it is a great Dread Necro build 39 arcane caster levels (if you take practiced spellcaster), 40 levels of turn undead, 40 levels of necromamtic spellcasting, undead mastery (from DN), familiar (from DN) unique undead summons (from TN), zone of desecration (from TN).  However, it sounds as if the newly revised True Necro that advances both arcane and divine spellcasting, won't advance divine spellcasting in this case, because of a Bioware glitch that treats custom arcane classes as divine spellcasters (according to xwarren in another thread).  That doesn't bother me too much, since the old True Necro didn't advance divine spellcasting anyway.

All of that said, it never seemed logical to me that DN couldn't progress beyond 20.  I'd love to experiment with a straight DN build.

January 20, 2012, 02:21:03 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

How hard would it be to extend Dread Necro beyond 20th level?  Also, What is the best option to get Epic Spellcasting for a Dread Necro (i.e. a Pure Dread Necro caster can't see Epic Spells on radial menu)?
That depands - how does epic progression looks for Dread Necromancer? Does he gain any new abilities (ie. Demi-lich at lvl 40?).

As I said in another thread - I will fix epic spellcasting.

January 20, 2012, 09:46:14 PM
Reply #6
  • Associate
    • View Profile

As I said in another thread - I will fix epic spellcasting.

I have complete faith in you!

On Dread Necro epic, i don't know for sure what epic would look like, but continuing normal progression and a bonus feat list like the wizard would be nice.

January 21, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
Reply #7
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I also have complete faith in you, xwarren, but your last post did seem as if you were asking for suggestions, so here goes.

Since any other 21st level spellcaster who meets the prereqs can take demilich, it doesn't entirely make sense to make the DN wait until level 40.  I would just let a 21st or higher level DN be eligible for the template.

How about a somewhat stronger familiar at epic levels?  Obviously, you can't give the range of choice available in PNP because of the way Bioware handled the issue, but it might make some sense (above level 30, say) for the DN to get an upgrade in this area.  More negative energy bursts as the DN progresses would certainly also be appropriate.

I agree with the idea of the bonus feat list, but, in keeping with the way the other classes' epic bonus feats are constructed, I would think one every four levels, rather than one every three, as with the wizard.  (Typically classes with special abilities get fewer.)