Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Cerebremancer Weirdness  (Read 6935 times)

June 13, 2009, 12:45:00 PM

My friend and I are going through Shadows of Undrentide together, him as a Silverbrow Paladin/Dragon Devotee/Vassal of Bahamut and me as a Kalashtar Psion/Wizard/Cerebremancer.  It's really quite a lot of fun and we're having a blast, but lately I've been noticing some oddness with the Cerebremancer and I'm wondering if it's working as intented of if there is some kind of weird bug.

First off, my level is currently Wizard 5/Psion 3/Cerebremancer 2.  I just took Craft Magic Arms and Armor, and earlier I took Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard).  Eager to try it out, I grabbed my friend's main weapon (the Tinnoman's Sword) and buffed it up to a +3 weapon, which worked just fine.  However, I was unable to add Keen to the weapon, despite knowing the Keen Edge spell and having enough gold and XP.  Does Cerebremancer  not add to your caster level?  I should be caster level 10, sholdn't I?

The second thing I've noticed is that I don't seem to gain new Wizard spells upon gaining a level of Cerebremancer.  I gain new spells per day, power points, and powers just fine, but I have to use the "buy any scroll you want" PRC menu to learn new spells (Unrelated side note: That shop is a mess; would it be at all possible to divide it into separate shops based on spell class and level?), which feels a little bit like cheating.  Is this intentional?  And if it applies to Sorcerors as well, how the heck are they supposed to learn new spells as a Cerebremancer?

Anyway, these two issues aside, I want to say that the PRC is a simply amazing upgrade to NWN that I really can't play without anymore.  I even have a hard time playing NWN2; even though I consider it a better game than NWN, I just can't live without all the new features from the PRC.  :)

Oh!  Almost forgot to mention the one issue my friend had with his character.  Despite Silverbrow Human claiming to give the dragonblooded subtype, taking Dragon Heritage(Silver) without Dragontouched causes you to be unable to level.  Is this intentional?  It seems like SIlverbrow Humans shouldn't need to take Dragontouched.  Also, it would be nice if there was a way for Silverbrow Humans and other characters that emphasize their dragon heritage to take Dragon Disciple without needing a level of Sorceror/Bard; my friend had originally wanted to be a Paladin/Dragon Disciple/Vassal of Bahamut but discovered that the combination is impossible due to the three class limit.

June 13, 2009, 01:10:03 PM
Reply #1

The spell learning thing is how bioware set wizard PrCs up to work. We've coded a work around for the sorc and bard.

And yes, with that build you should be level 10.

Dragon Disciple requires arcane spontaneous casting, there's no reason to ignore that.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

June 13, 2009, 04:52:23 PM
Reply #2

Thanks for the reply.  Oh, well, I guess scrolls it is.  Might be helpful to have something explaining that drawback in the Cerebremancer description?  And I still can't craft weapons with Keen now, even as a Wizard 5/Psion 4/Cerebremancer 3...  I'm very tempted to turn on arbitrary crafting; it's horribly overpowered, but I'm finding myself frustrated by the extremely strict limits on crafting (I specialized in Evocation so I can never craft any Bane weapons?  No way to add elemental damage/bonus damage/massive criticals to weapons at all?).  I recognize these are probably PnP limits, but it feels like I have to choose between extremely limited crafting, or extremely overpowered crafting.

I suppose that does make sense for Dragon Disciple...  Is it intentional that you specifically need Dragontouched to take Dragon Heritage, though, and not just the dragonblooded subtype?

June 13, 2009, 05:37:37 PM
Reply #3

Probably is, for Dragontouched.

And yes, PnP crafting can be limited.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

June 13, 2009, 07:18:18 PM
Reply #4

Figured out what it was with Keen.  I feel like an idiot.  ^^;  Didn't realize I had to have the spell prepared, not just know it...

June 13, 2009, 08:51:06 PM
Reply #5

Question for the keen crafting issue: did you have keen edge memorised and castable?

EDIT: I should read all the posts first >_>
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:54:56 PM by Flaming_Sword »