Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Arcane Trickster Question  (Read 3173 times)

December 23, 2010, 08:00:58 AM

FINAL EDIT: I tested it with dm_levelup and you do get new spells. my bad. you can close this thread if need be.

I'm making a rogue/sorcerer arcane trickster (i know wizard is better, I'm taking sorcerer for fun), but I'm confused with a part of the arcane trickster description on the the prc manual:

"Upon gaining a level in Arcane Trickster, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in his highest caster class (bard, sorcerer, or wizard). He does not learn any new spells through his abilities.(...)"

oh wait.

"He does not learn any new spells through his abilities."
with a wizard you can read scrolls, but with sorcerer you're gonna be stuck with lvl 3 spells forever? is that really it, or did I get it wrong somehow?

EDIT: the d&d 3.5 corresponding book, at least the version in my language, doesn't say this. Also, the nwn2 description for arcane trickster (I know they changed stuff around) says: "When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable)(...)"

if you really can't learn new spells as a sorcerer/arcane trickster, then this question becomes a suggestion/request: please let the arcane trickster learn new spells from a previous class in future builds.

EDIT2:  http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneTrickster.htm
it says: "When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained,(...)"

except on the prc manual, the "He does not learn any new spells through his abilities." is nowhere to be found.

it could be a intentional change, a misinterpretation, or maybe I got things wrong and you really shoudn't get new spells. I'm not complaining, just saying the little I know.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 10:47:17 AM by XtheHunter »