Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Can PRC Material be Used in Campaigns?  (Read 7482 times)

October 11, 2011, 01:16:13 AM

Can PRC material be used in campaigns (original campaign, SoU, HotU, and Kingmaker)?

I was informed on a GameFAQs forum that the PRC material would either be incompatible or would cause problems with dialogue and feats. However, I do know that a friend of mine went into the bladesinger prestige class without problem.

What should I expect if I try to, say, play a swordsage in the campaigns? What if I try to take a feat added by the PRC?

If this would cause a problem, then is there a way to quickly and efficiently uninstall the PRC? Or at least differentiate PRC material from material present in the core game?

October 11, 2011, 02:43:31 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Can PRC material be used in campaigns (original campaign, SoU, HotU, and Kingmaker)?
PRC Pack can be used in OC, SoU and HotU, but premium modules are encrypted and you can't modify them in any way - that's why you can't add PRC to them :(

I was informed on a GameFAQs forum that the PRC material would either be incompatible or would cause problems with dialogue and feats. However, I do know that a friend of mine went into the bladesinger prestige class without problem.
No dialogue and feats problems, but there were some scripting issues. You can easily fix them by importing prc_ocfix.erf to your module (there is an potion in module updater to do that).

What should I expect if I try to, say, play a swordsage in the campaigns? What if I try to take a feat added by the PRC?
You can't take any PRC class at 1st level (you need special character creator to do that - see download section). Some classes are a bit bugged but most of them works fine (I love new spellcasting classes ;) ) You won't be able to use PRC character in module without PRC.

If this would cause a problem, then is there a way to quickly and efficiently uninstall the PRC? Or at least differentiate PRC material from material present in the core game?
Make a buckup copies of modules (all files in nwm folder - i know module updater makes buckups, but they are probably overwritten after installing ocfix). If you want to uninstall PRC simply restore those buckups and delete PRC haks.
If you know what you're doing, you should have no problems with PRC.

October 11, 2011, 03:12:30 AM
Reply #2

Let me preface this by saying that this is my first time playing Neverwinter Nights. I am playing the Diamond edition, with CEP and PRC installed, game patched to v1.69. I understand now that CEP only applies to "persistent worlds" (a term I do not fully understand), not the campaigns.

PRC Pack can be used in OC, SoU and HotU, but premium modules are encrypted and you can't modify them in any way - that's why you can't add PRC to them :(
What counts as a premium model?

You can't take any PRC class at 1st level (you need special character creator to do that - see download section). Some classes are a bit bugged but most of them works fine (I love new spellcasting classes ;) ) You won't be able to use PRC character in module without PRC.
Okay, I have the character builder, that separate program which lets me load characters as a pregen in the campaigns. If I understand correctly, then... if I make a swordsage in the character generator, then select him from the character pregen screen of the main campaign, that means I will not have problems playing the swordsage. I should not expect scripting problems, problems with the dialogue, feats, or any other issues derived from playing a PRC class.

Make a buckup copies of modules (all files in nwm folder - i know module updater makes buckups, but they are probably overwritten after installing ocfix). If you want to uninstall PRC simply restore those buckups and delete PRC haks.
If you know what you're doing, you should have no problems with PRC.
Thanks! It's a bit late, only because I already installed the updater. I notice a couple other options listed as PRC Pack and prcc2. I don't recall, but I might have installed those earlier (it was months ago, so I do not recall what I installed). Could you tell me what those two updaters are for?

Also, when it asks me, "What do you want to update" and includes a list of a bunch of things, everything from "original campaign" to "CEPxxxxx", should I just select everything?

Thanks for the advice!

P.S.
I am debating which class to play right now. Strongheart Halfling Swordsage (dex-based), Human Swordsage (strength-based), or straight-up human Cleric (Str-emphasized). I was going to play a human Crusader->Cleric->Ruby Knight Vindicator, but I read that the RKV has problems right now because of a Crusader bug.

October 11, 2011, 05:27:17 AM
Reply #3
    • View Profile

What counts as a premium module?
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Premium_module

Okay, I have the character builder, that separate program which lets me load characters as a pregen in the campaigns. If I understand correctly, then... if I make a swordsage in the character generator, then select him from the character pregen screen of the main campaign, that means I will not have problems playing the swordsage. I should not expect scripting problems, problems with the dialogue, feats, or any other issues derived from playing a PRC class.
Correct. Swordsage is one of the bugged classes (all ToB are imho) i wouldn't recommend it for your first PRC character.

Thanks! It's a bit late, only because I already installed the updater. I notice a couple other options listed as PRC Pack and prcc2. I don't recall, but I might have installed those earlier (it was months ago, so I do not recall what I installed). Could you tell me what those two updaters are for?
You should have asked earlier ;p
Normally only 'PRC Pack' is required, but for OC modules you have to install prc_ocfix.erf as well. Other are PRC/CEP/Project Q merges and they are needed if you want to install PRC in a module with CEP/Project Q.

Also, when it asks me, "What do you want to update" and includes a list of a bunch of things, everything from "original campaign" to "CEPxxxxx", should I just select everything?
Hmmm.... Select modules in which you want to install PRC ;p