Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Arcane Hierophant abilities  (Read 9624 times)

January 08, 2012, 10:20:33 AM
    • View Profile

As I mentioned in other thread I have some 2das for this class ready. Just need some scripting and tlk entries to make it work ;)

I'm writing this because the class have some abilities I would like to change - channel plant/animal. I think channel plant is impossible in NWN (not enought plant placeables in most modules I played/would have to be limited to outdoor/natural areas) and channel animal, although possible to implement, would be much more limited than PnP version.

My first thought was to replace them with some cool spell-like abilities (ie. special version of entangle with DC improving with AH class level) or give players 2 bonus feats instead of them.

I would like to know DMs/players opinion. Any other ideas/suggestions?

January 08, 2012, 10:26:01 PM
Reply #1

As I mentioned in other thread I have some 2das for this class ready. Just need some scripting and tlk entries to make it work ;)

I'm writing this because the class have some abilities I would like to change - channel plant/animal. I think channel plant is impossible in NWN (not enought plant placeables in most modules I played/would have to be limited to outdoor/natural areas) and channel animal, although possible to implement, would be much more limited than PnP version.

My first thought was to replace them with some cool spell-like abilities (ie. special version of entangle with DC improving with AH class level) or give players 2 bonus feats instead of them.

I would like to know DMs/players opinion. Any other ideas/suggestions?

I don't know what those abilities do, but I'd probably go with bonus feats.  Can you post a description?
HEATSTROKE

January 09, 2012, 12:36:06 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

Sure, sorry.

January 09, 2012, 06:10:41 PM
Reply #3
  • Associate
    • View Profile

I would also be inclined to go with bonus feats.  While those are interesting abilities, it doesn't sound as if even the one you can implement is going to have that much affect on gameplay, so why make more work for yourself?

January 09, 2012, 11:50:38 PM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

As far as NWN goes, I'd consider the Channel abilities functionally equivalent to the "Reach Spell" metamagic feat effect outdoors.  If you've managed to script Greatreach Blast, it would make sense to adapt it for Arcane Hierophant, as well as Archmage and Hierophant.

January 10, 2012, 08:03:43 AM
Reply #5

Yeah, I'm not sure how you'd implement either one of those 100%  The plant one is even worse since most of the plants you encounter in NWN are part of the tileset.

I'd try to get the Channel Animal at least somewhat useful & working if possible to keep the theme of the class.  Channel Plant I'd replace with a Ranger / Druid / Arcane bonus feat.
HEATSTROKE

January 10, 2012, 04:47:40 PM
Reply #6

For Channel Animal, it seems, like said before, arcane reach, would do the trick (ranged touch spells), as for channel plants, a special entangle, wouldn't be so bad, or some kind of trap-like SA (like snare ?), where you get to either damage (reflexe), paralyzie (fort), or confuse (will) the target (summarize what druids can do with spells ..more or less) , since this abilities only seem to work once (first thing that touches the plants) ..again, a bonus feat would do fine :P

January 10, 2012, 05:58:12 PM
Reply #7

...as for channel plants, a special entangle, wouldn't be so bad, or some kind of trap-like SA (like snare ?), where you get to either damage (reflexe), paralyzie (fort), or confuse (will) the target (summarize what druids can do with spells ..more or less) , since this abilities only seem to work once (first thing that touches the plants) ..again, a bonus feat would do fine :P

If you go that route add "Charm" & "Baleful Polymorph" to use up all 5 of the possible radials. :D
HEATSTROKE

January 10, 2012, 09:13:21 PM
Reply #8

lol if we  keep it up, xwarren might decide not only , not to add new special abilities, but also remove the bonus feats as well  xD

ps: charm is overrated, domination's better, dominate monsters even more .. but no chance :P

January 10, 2012, 09:37:03 PM
Reply #9

ps: charm is overrated, domination's better, dominate monsters even more .. but no chance :P

That part could scale with level.  :o
HEATSTROKE