Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Cloaked Casting vs Uncanny Dodge  (Read 3783 times)

January 22, 2012, 05:38:35 AM
    • View Profile

I was playing a beguiler a bit and I wonder how should cloaked casting work agains enemies with uncanny dodge feat. The description of cloaked casting says:
Starting at 2nd level, a beguiler's spells become more effective when cast against an unwary foe. You gain a +1 bonus to the spell's save DC when you cast a spell that targets any foe who would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether or not the target actually has a Dexterity bonus).
At 8th level, you gain a +2 bonus on rolls made to overcome the spell resistance of any affected target.
At 14th level, the bonus to your spell's save DC increases to +2.
At 20th level, you become able to automatically overcome the spell resistance of any affected target.
uncanny dodge:
Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
I know it looks obvious, but I wanted to make sure. Does this mean that characters with Uncanny dodge are immune to Cloaked casting (no DC/SR bonuses?)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:40:06 AM by xwarren »

January 22, 2012, 10:28:03 AM
Reply #1

I was playing a beguiler a bit and I wonder how should cloaked casting work agains enemies with uncanny dodge feat. The description of cloaked casting says:
Starting at 2nd level, a beguiler's spells become more effective when cast against an unwary foe. You gain a +1 bonus to the spell's save DC when you cast a spell that targets any foe who would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether or not the target actually has a Dexterity bonus).
At 8th level, you gain a +2 bonus on rolls made to overcome the spell resistance of any affected target.
At 14th level, the bonus to your spell's save DC increases to +2.
At 20th level, you become able to automatically overcome the spell resistance of any affected target.
uncanny dodge:
Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
I know it looks obvious, but I wanted to make sure. Does this mean that characters with Uncanny dodge are immune to Cloaked casting (no DC/SR bonuses?)?

That does appear to be the situation with these two class abilities.
HEATSTROKE

January 22, 2012, 10:51:29 AM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

:)

I will have to fix a couple of scripts. Right now it ignores uncanny dodge completely.