Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Epic Psionics?  (Read 16377 times)

May 16, 2012, 06:05:46 PM

I was looking through the manual, and I didn't see anything on Epic Psionic Powers. Is there such a thing?
The eventual creator of the PRC Incarnum System!
23rd highest post count and counting!

May 17, 2012, 06:23:10 AM
Reply #1

I was looking through the manual, and I didn't see anything on Epic Psionic Powers. Is there such a thing?

Yes.
HEATSTROKE

May 17, 2012, 04:55:02 PM
Reply #2
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, still not in PRC :(

May 18, 2012, 07:12:47 PM
Reply #3

Unfortunately, still not in PRC :(

Awww....Are there plans to implement it? If not, I'm gonna have a good bit of downtime this summer...I might be able to do a little work on it...dotdotdot...

May 19, 2012, 02:11:18 AM
Reply #4
    • View Profile

I would love to have epic psionics in the PRC. I would really appreciate any help with this, because I don't have much free time recently.

May 19, 2012, 10:12:09 AM
Reply #5

I would love to have epic psionics in the PRC. I would really appreciate any help with this, because I don't have much free time recently.

The link I posted just shows how to make new epic powers.  Are there any in the sourcebooks?

EDIT:  I just checked the Psionics Handbook & the Expanded Psionics Handbook & neither has epic powers.  There are a few in the Legends of Athas sourcebook.  I will post them below if anyone if interested in making them or using them as a guideline for new epic powers.

Beast Mastery

Inertial Armor, Epic

Order's Scry
Clairsentience
Psicraft DC: 54
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 10 minutes
Area: 5-mile radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: No
To Develop: 486,000 Cp; 10 days; 19,940 XP.
Seeds: reveal (DC 17), conceal (DC 17).
Factors: change from target to area (+10 DC), change area to 20 ft. radius (+2 DC); increase area by 100% x10 (+40 DC), conceal detection (ad hoc +6 DC).
Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18 DC), decrease power's duration to instantaneous (ad hoc -20 DC).

You elevate your psionic senses to epic proportions, expanding your perception of Athas to unimaginable distances. When you manifest this power, you are able to temporarily perceive the presence of any epic psionic characters in a 5-mile radius. Each psionic character receives a Will save, and if successful, prevents you from perceiving him. Whether the saving throw is successful or not, the psionic character is unaware of the attempted detection. Once this power is manifested, you know his general location and his alignment at the moment of the manifestation.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:28:31 AM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

May 19, 2012, 01:03:45 PM
Reply #6
    • View Profile

If I understand text from srd correctly - epic psionic powers are same as epic spells, but the mechanics are a bit different, ie. Epic Internal Armour is almost the same as Epic Mage Armour.

May 23, 2012, 07:11:09 AM
Reply #7

If I understand text from srd correctly - epic psionic powers are same as epic spells, but the mechanics are a bit different, ie. Epic Internal Armour is almost the same as Epic Mage Armour.

Yeah, it appears that way, but I think maybe there should be a few unique Epic Powers, and a few Epic Spells. Any chance of an epic-level invocation, stances, or truenaming system in this vein?

May 23, 2012, 11:17:39 AM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

Yeah, it appears that way, but I think maybe there should be a few unique Epic Powers, and a few Epic Spells. Any chance of an epic-level invocation, stances, or truenaming system in this vein?
I've read many souce books for D&D, but I've never seen epic invocations etc. If you provide the source, then sure, why not.

May 23, 2012, 04:40:17 PM
Reply #9

I was able to find something about Epic Truenaming It's homebrew, but it seems pretty good.

May 23, 2012, 05:13:38 PM
Reply #10
  • Adept
    • View Profile

The Epic Insights feature article implies that Epic invocations may exist by repeatedly referring to non-Epic invocations in contrast, but to the best of my knowledge, no official material ever offers either specific epic invocations, or a system for developing them like epic spellcasting.

If you're considering adding more options for the warlock, though, any chance of the Chasubles of Fell Power from Complete Arcane and the Metaspell-like ability feats?  They're not epic exclusive, but they'd add some oomph when you need it most.  Details below for convenience.

Metaspell like abilities are implied as eligible for Eldritch Blast on page 81 of Complete Arcane under Maximize Spell-like ability.

Empower Eldritch Blast (SRD)- +50% to blast damage, 3/day.  (minimum Warlock caster level 6th to take)
Heighten Eldritch Blast (CA 80)- +2 to effective spell level (thus increasing save DC by +2) 3/day (minimum Warlock caster level 6th to take)
Maximize Eldritch Blast (CA 81)- Maximized blast damage, 3/day.  (minimum Warlock caster level 6th to take)
Quicken Eldritch Blast (SRD)- Blast as a swift action, 3/day.  (minimum Warlock caster level 10th to take)

There's also Ability Focus (SRD): Eldritch Blast listed as an option on page 7 (complete arcane) for +2 to its save DC.

Chasubles of Fell Power (complete arcane, p. 148) [Amulet item slot]:
Lesser - +1d6 damage to chaotic damaging spells and eldritch blasts (8000 gold)
Greater - +2d6 damage to chaotic damaging spells and eldritch blasts (18000 gold)
Requires Craft Wondrous Items feat and caster level 9th to craft; Must be able to cast Chaos Hammer or use Eldritch Blast: 4000 gold + 320 xp for lesser, 9000 gold + 720 xp for greater.

The chaotic damaging component is wholly ignorable.  There are no official Epic versions, but the progression could reasonably be extrapolated as ([7000 + 1000n]n for +nd6 damage).  Epic items typically cost a further 10x of the standard progression.

Minor Epic Chasuble of Fell Power - +3d6 damage to chaotic damaging spells and eldritch blasts (300000 gold)
Major Epic Chasuble of Fell Power - +4d6 damage to chaotic damaging spells and eldritch blasts (440000 gold)
Requires Craft Epic Wondrous Items feat and caster level 23rd to craft; Must be able to cast Chaos Hammer or use Eldritch Blast: 150000 gold + 12000 xp for lesser, 220000 gold + 17600 xp for greater.

For epic psionics, the seeds are the same, and Psions are capable of using all seeds.  All epic spells can accordingly be created as epic psionic powers with the only real changes being recalculating the psicraft DCs, and everything based off the psicraft DC.  You'd end up with flavor dissonance, but at least it'd be quick and officially rules compatible.

May 23, 2012, 05:41:32 PM
Reply #11

I also found a basic rule for making epic invocations at the D&D Wiki.

EDIT: Also found something on epic maneuvers
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:45:47 PM by malonkey1 »

May 23, 2012, 07:45:37 PM
Reply #12

Don't overwhelm him guys. :D

Sure wish I could script up to PRC standards. :(
HEATSTROKE

May 24, 2012, 02:36:13 AM
Reply #13
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Don't overwhelm him guys. :D

Sure wish I could script up to PRC standards. :(

I've only really scripted for NWN2, which I understand has most of the same functions.  I can cobble together things for myself, but I don't even know where to begin with something as large and complex as the prc pack.

But it wouldn't hurt to take a look, I suppose.  I mean, in theory, even as enormous and overwhelming as the PRC scripts are, the manual has documentation, and all of the tools and scripts necessary to implement what I've mentioned should already exist where I need them, more or less.  I'll try it and see.

---
Edit:
Starting with the simplest, Ability Focus should end up being,

Append line to cls_feat_warlok.2da:
#  FEAT_ABILITY_FOCUS_ELDRITCH_BLAST                      ####      0    -1             0

Where # is sequential position, and #### is the assigned feat ID, depending on reserve feat ranges.  (Edit - All classes with a pre-req of Eldritch Blast makes more sense, I guess.)

Append line to Feat.2da:
#     Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast)                           StRefNameStrRefDesc  ife_foc_spel      ****           ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****        ****        ****        0            0            0                ****     ****  ****    ****      1       ****       ****       ****       ****       ****       ****       ****       ****       ****     ****             ****      ****                FEAT_ABILITY_FOCUS_(ELDRITCH_BLAST)            5               ****        ****     ****          ****     ****        0          1       

Where # is both the assigned feat ID and sequential position, depending on reserved ranges.

Append bolded line to inv_eldrtch_glv.nss, inv_eldtch_blast.nss, inv_eldtch_chain.nss, and inv_eldtch_shape.nss scripts and compile:

//calculate DC for essence effects
    if(GetHasFeat(FEAT_ABILITY_FOCUS_ELDRITCH_BLAST)) nDC += 2;

Aaaaand, now I'm stumped.  I can't find inv_eldrtchdoom.nss or any of the other area shape blast scripts referenced in feats.2da, nor can I find anything in inv_eldtch_shape.nss to determine how blast Reflex save DC is calculated.  I've tried looking through the include scripts for spell hooking as well, but no luck.

If I can figure this out and determine what ranges are open for use, the meta-spell like ability feats are only slightly more complicated in practice to implement*.  I'll compile, test, and debug Ability Focus at that point, and if it works, script the meta spell-like ability feats, compile, test, and debug those, polish up the scripts, and post the whole shebang for review.

*Except for the whole warlock caster level prerequisite thing.  I assume that can only be properly handled by the leveling script that delevels you when you don't meet prerequisites that are more complex than the default engine is prepared for?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:06:19 AM by Winla »

May 24, 2012, 08:08:13 AM
Reply #14

Aaaaand, now I'm stumped.  I can't find inv_eldrtchdoom.nss or any of the other area shape blast scripts referenced in feats.2da, nor can I find anything in inv_eldtch_shape.nss to determine how blast Reflex save DC is calculated.  I've tried looking through the include scripts for spell hooking as well, but no luck.

In feat.2da inv_eldrtchdoom is referencing a TGA file.  The impact script for Eldritch Doom (spell.2da #18142) is inv_eldtch_shape.

The Blast DC is calculated in inv_eldritch_shape.nss on line 62

Code: [Select]
int nDC = 10 + nBlastLvl + GetAbilityModifier(ABILITY_CHARISMA);
Hope that helps you out. :D
HEATSTROKE