Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Help requested for someone new... me. ^_^  (Read 5763 times)

June 13, 2012, 12:57:29 PM

Hello. I am new to this forum, as well as to Neverwinter nights (just started playing the other day). I found that there are a great many modifications to this game, and I was thrilled. As an old school D&Der (pen and paper), this game was something I could really get into.

On with the issues... I found the PRC 3.5 self installer. I ran it, rand the module updater (both the PRC insertion and the fixes). When I load a new game, it takes a while to load the modules (understandable with the massive amount of information that needs to load). I can create a character no problem. However, as soon as I click Play, the game locks up. It does nothing. The mouse can still move, but the game never loads. When I try to click something, the whole game shuts down, giving me that awesome little error window "Neverwinter Nights has encountered an error and will close. You can't play. It doesn't like you" (I am, of course, paraphrasing, but you get the idea).

I do not get this problem before I install the PRC. I backed everything up, so I could restore it without worry. But, I would like to use all the amazing improvements this mod would allow for.

Any help in getting this to work would be helpful. My basic specs are: Vista, Home edition, 32 bit, Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition 1.69, SoU & HoU installed. (I tried loading the PRC into ALL modules. Didn't work on any of them).

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help someone new. Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:00:34 PM by Seishi Kaji »

June 13, 2012, 01:13:57 PM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Which PRC version are you using?

Did you ran NWN as administrator?

Is there anything in your override folder?

Could you check if those modules work for you:
http://speedy.sh/XzbAs/nwm.7z

June 13, 2012, 04:39:59 PM
Reply #2

Wow! Thank you for the speedy reply! Awesome! Below are the answers to the questions you asked:

PRC version - 3.5, PRC installer version 2.5. It was the Windows setup file found on the vault.

NWN is always run as administrator - My user account is an admin account (I did right click and select run as administrator as well).

There were files in my override folder. Custom heads and other files I had downloaded from the nwnvault. I cleared it out the override folder. I still get the error.

It seems it is conflicting in windows, which is odd, because it works before I install the PRC. I have re-patched to 1.69, added in your modules, re-installed the PRC and the ocfixes. Still, I get the error.

I was actually hoping that there was an override version of everything if I can't get this to work. Anything I have put in the overrides folder has worked without a hitch.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue. Thanks for your assistance!

June 13, 2012, 05:47:42 PM
Reply #3
  • Sr. Associate
    • View Profile

are you using the Character creator?
My first PrC+Q module (and 1st mod ever): Revamped OC

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/163

June 13, 2012, 05:52:12 PM
Reply #4

It seems it is conflicting in windows, which is odd, because it works before I install the PRC. I have re-patched to 1.69, added in your modules, re-installed the PRC and the ocfixes. Still, I get the error.

For future reference, if you install the PRC fix into the same module twice it causes problems.  Make sure you back your modules up 1st.
HEATSTROKE

June 14, 2012, 02:00:42 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

Try opening a module with PRC installed in Toolset. Does it gives any error messages?

Could you check what's in the logs (nwn\logs)?

June 14, 2012, 12:09:10 PM
Reply #6

Hello everyone who replied (and fast at that... this forum is incredibly supportive and helpful! Thanks). I have pinpointed the problem, and it was something suggested below by Dark_Ansem (awesome reference in the name, btw). I didn't have net access to even check all of your posts until just now, so I discovered it while playing around with things myself.

I re-checked the manual for PRC, and noticed the 4 requirements, one being the PRC Character Creator. Now, I had grabbed this as just a great and diverse tool. I did not realize that the PRC would cause a problem with the in-game character creator. The only tip off was that it was a requirement (thought I still have yet to see anything about the PRC rendering the in-game character creator non-working).

I loaded my saved game, and low-and-behold, it loaded without a hitch. I started a new game, selected to use a pre-made character, selected my already created character, and again, working.

Bottom line, issue is fully resolved, and I can fully enjoy everything.

Thanks again for everyone's help. You guys are awesome for helping a noob to this game (noob to NWN, not computers. Figured that needed clarification).

Now, on to gaming!

June 14, 2012, 12:56:35 PM
Reply #7
  • Sr. Associate
    • View Profile

it's the small things that often go overlooked :P
My first PrC+Q module (and 1st mod ever): Revamped OC

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/163