Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: PRC Module Updater Not Working  (Read 8941 times)

June 15, 2012, 10:14:50 PM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Hi, since I'm a fan of NWN2, I figured I should try out NWN1.  So, I picked this up to go with it, but I'm having a problem.  I installed the PRC pack through the exe and everything, but couldn't get through the prologue.

I looked up everything I could, and found out about PRC_OCFix and that I need to use the PRC Module Updater to get it to work.

Thing is, the PRC Module Updater (which I downloaded from the NWNVault) just keeps on complaining that NWN is not installed, while inside the installation folder.

I tried running it as an administrator, I tried running it in compatibility mode, and both together, but it's just not recognizing the game.

I'm using Windows 7 64-Bit
And I'm using the GOG version of NWN Diamond Edition, updated to 1.69

June 16, 2012, 02:55:29 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

You're probably missing some NWN registry entries. Since I don't have experience with Windows 7 registry I can't tell you how to fix this. But you can try running PrcModuleUpdater.exe from commandline:
prcmoduleupdater.exe -n"d:\my path to nwn"
Hope this helps

June 16, 2012, 02:59:39 PM
Reply #2

Win 7 Regedit is pretty much the same as Win XP with the exception of some very specific dual 32/64 branches. For this, you shouldn't have to worry about those, however.

Considering that I'm new to the PRC, I've no idea whether it uses anything unusual to locate NWN, but my guess is that it's pretty simple and uses the following keys. Note that you can royally wreck your PC if you futz around with the wrong stuff in your registry. If you don't understand my directions and take responsibility for any possible issues that arise from following them, then don't proceed.

Registry information inside spoiler brackets.

Spoiler (hover to show)

I hope this is helpful.

June 17, 2012, 01:37:02 PM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Won't let me merge the .reg file, all I did was copy it and write down the correct path (C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition) in it.  Keeps saying:

"The specified file is not a registry script.  You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

June 17, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
Reply #4

Try this file. Extract the .reg first, then right-click and select edit to look over it to make sure it will only edit the keys you want. I don't recommend editing it, of course. I've already set the paths to the folder you specified above. Just double-check it, first.

Then, after you're certain it's safe, close and right-click the file again. Choose merge from the right-click menu.

[attachurl=1]

June 17, 2012, 10:50:35 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

That worked.  There's been a little progress, but it's saying I don't have the SoU expansion now  But it let me put in PRC_OCFix in the haks.

June 18, 2012, 12:20:58 AM
Reply #6
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Well, I just tried to play it... and it seems to have completely wrecked the campaign.

Started the game, everything was black except me and Pavel, and I couldn't move.

June 18, 2012, 10:35:50 AM
Reply #7

Hmm, regarding the black loadup screen, that's is an issue I've had before. The very first time I loaded up the campaign, (vanilla NWN, no PRC) I saw the same thing. I restarted, selected premade character and on the second try it loaded up fine.

I'm not sure this will work for you. I think there's some sort of special resource unpacking that is done the first time a campaign is loaded, however, so it's worth just trying again if you haven't. If that doesn't work, I would restore my campaign files to the original .nwms and see if they work. (If that doesn't work, it probably means the gog.com install uses a version of the install that is not 'retail'-equivalent. We can try puzzling over that together, or you might try reinstalling.)

If it resolves the black screen issue, then go ahead and open the PRC Updater and patch the vanilla OC with PRCPack, and then with prc_ocfix, and see if it's still working.

Now, as for the SoU issue, I'm not quite certain why SoU would seem to disappear. Is it not appearing in the PRC Updater? Or is it just not appearing in game? Does it appear in the updater & game, but is it unable to load when you try starting a campaign in it?

Can you get it to work by restoring it to the unmodified .nwms?

June 18, 2012, 06:41:21 PM
Reply #8
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Okay, tried it again, it works.  Thanks.  It let me apply the PRC_Hotfix to the SoU and HoU expansions... it just said they weren't installed when I first opened up the program for some reason.

Is there any way to be able to create a character with one of the PRC Base classes without having to use the external character creator?

June 19, 2012, 10:36:50 AM
Reply #9

Okay, tried it again, it works.  Thanks.  It let me apply the PRC_Hotfix to the SoU and HoU expansions... it just said they weren't installed when I first opened up the program for some reason.

Is there any way to be able to create a character with one of the PRC Base classes without having to use the external character creator?

Yes, but it involves setting up the ConvoCC on a multiplayer server complete with NWNx2 and an external database.  It's much easier to just use the JavaCC.  There is more info for setting up the ConvoCC in the FAQs if you are still interested.
HEATSTROKE