Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: XOREOS: The Open Source Aurora Engine  (Read 13302 times)

June 20, 2012, 06:58:01 PM

I was going across the interblags one day and I found this. It looks promising, but the main creator needs help. I lack the required skills and I am busy with PRC Incarnum incorporation anyway. If any of you have the coding power to help, I hope you can. It'd be the first step in baking mods like the PRC into the game instead of using the glitchy tricks we use now.

EDIT: Fixed BBCode - DMH
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:19:44 PM by DM Heatstroke »
The eventual creator of the PRC Incarnum System!
23rd highest post count and counting!

December 09, 2012, 12:20:22 PM
Reply #1

Not sure if anybody even reads this forum anymore, but I do hope people are still interested! And thanks, HS.

December 16, 2012, 06:41:45 AM
Reply #2

Not sure if anybody even reads this forum anymore, but I do hope people are still interested! And thanks, HS.

I am still here, occasionally anyway. Mostly when I want to play more Neverwinter Nights. When I get the chance, I will help spread the word about it and hopefully attract more people to work on it. My programming skills and knowledge are not currently up to the task.

July 01, 2013, 08:22:14 PM
Reply #3

Hey guys, just reminding everybody this is a thing. It appears that work slowly continues. Any coders on this forum should go take a look.

October 17, 2019, 07:03:04 AM
Reply #4
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm no coder, but if the source code is available, would that allow PRC to be integrated directly into the game? Thus skipping external character creator. I'm well aware that modules need to be unpacked and get PRC resource injected to have them available.
Would possibilities such as stacking metamagics be possible?
Creating new metamagics such as heightened
Have the extra base classes selectable in ingame character creator?
Make all cases where you are forced to use PRC spellbook to use normal spellbook and have all properties working, going into thrall of Grazzt or Arch Mage choosing extra spell DC currently forces player to use PRC Spellbook which is a pain to check through every spell description, I'd really like if exchanging spells and the like to work as in vanilla.
I imagine results of this to also make the Archivist play very much like a Wizard with the interaction of the game's spellbook mechanic.
I wouldn't be surprised if combat manuvers and the likes abilities were implemented using the vanilla spellbook, not mention many alternative casting classes, perhaps it would be even possible to make custom spellbooks for different classes without using the functionality of the current PRC spellbook which takes a while to get through as well with page changes and so on.

If things can change so much, also makes me wonder if integrating some Pathfinder modifications would be a welcome addition, mainly imagining things from the game Pathfinder Kingmaker, but several things from Pathfinder 2nd edition could be squeezed in, I find the separate spell lists interesting along with sorcerer bloodlineshttps://2e.aonprd.com/Bloodlines.aspx?ID=, ancestry mechanics, magic tattoos and so on.

Companion wise perhaps you could select them and gain full control over them as if they were your man character while enemies can only be selected for attacks and targets. You could manually cast and queue spells as your companions giving you a much higher grade of control.

I wonder what things I can realistically hope for, many times although many ideas might be good they have usually been impossible to implement or no one wanting to do big changes

I seem to have misunderstood, the Xeros project seem to aim at re-implementing existing games by porting over the content, but seems quite unfinished.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:31:31 AM by Weimond »

December 15, 2019, 02:09:08 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I'm no coder, but if the source code is available, would that allow PRC to be integrated directly into the game?

Yes, in principle that and more is possible.

However, the main goal is to make game run as it originally did.

Further modifications I would allow, but using some kind of configuration that makes it optional. I'm not sure yet how that needs to works.

If things can change so much, also makes me wonder if integrating some Pathfinder modifications would be a welcome addition, mainly imagining things from the game Pathfinder Kingmaker

That, however, is difficult. Not from a technical standpoint, but a legal one.

The rules of Pathfinder (both first and second editions) are fair game, that is covered by the OGL. But you are not allowed to claim Pathfinder compatibility, because that would run afoul of the Pathfinder trademark. Paizo's Community Use Policy allows for the usage of the "Pathfinder" mark for certain things, but not video games.

Using anything of Pathfinder's setting, including the Inner Sea region, established names and other "product identity" entities, is completely out of the question. That also includes all Adventure Paths, of course, like Kingmaker.

I seem to have misunderstood, the Xeros project seem to aim at re-implementing existing games by porting over the content, but seems quite unfinished.

Eh, that's not...really what we're doing. We're not porting over content, we recreate the engines. Basically, we replace the EXE file.

But yes, it is quite unfinished. This is a massive undertaking and I need way more people work on this.