Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Subrace field not recognized  (Read 20440 times)

September 22, 2009, 05:54:04 PM

I'm not sure if this is PRC related but since I can not find any information on this problem, have PRC 3.3g installed and think the most skilled NWN developers are found here B) I might as well give it a try on this forum.

I'm running a Nordock mod that was patched with PRC 3.3 and uses the convoCC without any problems. Characters I made (using convoCC or the Java CC) get a dialogue with the following text as soon as they enter the starting area:

Your subrace field was not recognized. Please, finish this dialog completely to correctly initialize your subrace.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here and how this can be fixed?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:55:10 PM by Badjaccur »

September 22, 2009, 06:05:42 PM
Reply #1

Quote from: Badjaccur

I'm not sure if this is PRC related but since I can not find any information on this problem, have PRC 3.3g installed and think the most skilled NWN developers are found here B) I might as well give it a try on this forum.

I'm running a Nordock mod that was patched with PRC 3.3 and uses the convoCC without any problems. Characters I made (using convoCC or the Java CC) get a dialogue with the following text as soon as they enter the starting area:

Your subrace field was not recognized. Please, finish this dialog completely to correctly initialize your subrace.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here and how this can be fixed?

Did this module at one time have a separate subrace system installed?
HEATSTROKE

September 22, 2009, 06:53:18 PM
Reply #2

Hello DM Heatstroke, thanks for your quick reply.

No, I don't think so. It's a clean Nordock with only the subrace system Nordock uses (written by Shir'le E. Illios who has seemed to disappear from the face of Faerun) patched with the PRC pack.

September 23, 2009, 07:07:01 AM
Reply #3

Well one easy way to find out whats throwing that error would be to open the module in the toolset, go the the temp0 folder that the toolset dumps all the modules files into & do a search for that textstring.  That should point you in the right direction.
HEATSTROKE

September 23, 2009, 08:22:04 AM
Reply #4

The two systems are completely unrelated and using Shirle's system with the prc won't work as they apply the subrace bonuses/penalties differently. You need to use one or the other.

September 23, 2009, 11:25:22 AM
Reply #5

Quote from: fluffyamoeba

The two systems are completely unrelated and using Shirle's system with the prc won't work as they apply the subrace bonuses/penalties differently. You need to use one or the other.

Well there you go.  I've never even heard of that subrace system.
HEATSTROKE

September 24, 2009, 02:09:11 PM
Reply #6

Thank you both fluffyamoeba and DM Heartstroke for you help,

The thing with Shirle's subrace system is that it also sets a faction and a starting point. In Nordock Drow and Duergar have their own starting point in cities in the Underdark, while all other races start topside in Bezor. I don't care much for the subrace bonuses/penalties because the PRC handles those a lot better, but I still need to set the right faction and spawning point. But for some reason the subrace is not being read. I was hoping someone would recognize this problem and could give me some clues.

I have played NWN for quite a few years now and I just LOVE what you guys at the PRC did with it but this is my first serious attempt at building a PW. And I'm a complete n00b when it comes to scripting, so any help is appreciated.

September 24, 2009, 02:36:49 PM
Reply #7

Thank you both fluffyamoeba and DM Heartstroke for you help,

The thing with Shirle's subrace system is that it also sets a faction and a starting point. In Nordock Drow and Duergar have their own starting point in cities in the Underdark, while all other races start topside in Bezor. I don't care much for the subrace bonuses/penalties because the PRC handles those a lot better, but I still need to set the right faction and spawning point. But for some reason the subrace is not being read. I was hoping someone would recognize this problem and could give me some clues.

I have played NWN for quite a few years now and I just LOVE what you guys at the PRC did with it but this is my first serious attempt at building a PW. And I'm a complete n00b when it comes to scripting, so any help is appreciated.

I think you are confusing Race & Subrace.  AFAIK the PRC doesn't do anything with the actual BIC subrace field, so there is nothing for your faction script to read.  What you can do is have the OnClientEnter script read the PC race using GetRacialType the 1st time they enter the server & SetSubrace to whatever you want it to be.  The older, non-PRC version of Athas Reborn is setup this way for the Gnome (Tari) & Half-Orc (Half-Giant) races & it works fine.  It'd probably be easier to just change the faction script from detecting subrace to detecting race however.  You shouldn't need to futz with subraces anymore with the PRC installed.  If you are still confused PM me & I'll see what I can do to help.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:41:56 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

September 24, 2009, 03:19:55 PM
Reply #8

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, DM Heartstroke. In the mean time I found that when I use the Bioware CC to make an Elf and set the subrace to "Drow" the subrace does get read because the dialogue that asks me for my race and subrace does not show up, I get the (buffed, the way Shirley's subrace system works) ability boni and spawn in the Underdark. So something is working. With the hints you gave I 'll look into the scripts again and hope I'll find out that is happening here. If I hit that good old brick wall again I will make sure to PM you for advice.

Thanks again, your help with this is much appreciated.

September 24, 2009, 03:33:35 PM
Reply #9

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, DM Heartstroke. In the mean time I found that when I use the Bioware CC to make an Elf and set the subrace to "Drow" the subrace does get read because the dialogue that asks me for my race and subrace does not show up, I get the (buffed, the way Shirley's subrace system works) ability boni and spawn in the Underdark. So something is working. With the hints you gave I 'll look into the scripts again and hope I'll find out that is happening here. If I hit that good old brick wall again I will make sure to PM you for advice.

Thanks again, your help with this is much appreciated.

That kinda goes along with what I was saying.  If you use the JavaCC or the ConvoCC nothing gets populated in the Subrace field because Drow & Duegar are actual racial types.  If you use the Bioware CC, you can manually type Drow in but you don't get the natural bonuses or SLAs.  You really want to be using racial types as opposed to subraces.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:35:02 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

September 24, 2009, 03:51:03 PM
Reply #10

I used to play this Nordock server with PRC installed and as far as I know we used both systems at the same time. (This was not good because the buffed stats from Shirley's and the PRC's unbuffed racial stats stack, giving the Drow and Duergar double boni, but it was all about getting the right factions and spawning point.) So it worked one way or the other.

So I assume that some script would be checking for any subrace, if set to "Drow" it would set faction, add stats etc. Same goes with Duergar. But if no subrace was set it should set the spawning point to Benzor and not add bonus abilities. The last thing does not happen, but brings up the dialog and the options to set both race and subrace instead.

The idea about letting the faction script detect the race is really a good idea, although I don't know how to set the correct spawning point once the race is detected. But I have not looked at the script yet and as I mentioned before, I'm new with this.

I'm going to see if I can find out what script is doing what and how I can change it to work as it should again.

Again my thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

September 24, 2009, 04:16:41 PM
Reply #11

I used to play this Nordock server with PRC installed and as far as I know we used both systems at the same time. (This was not good because the buffed stats from Shirley's and the PRC's unbuffed racial stats stack, giving the Drow and Duergar double boni, but it was all about getting the right factions and spawning point.) So it worked one way or the other.

So I assume that some script would be checking for any subrace, if set to "Drow" it would set faction, add stats etc. Same goes with Duergar. But if no subrace was set it should set the spawning point to Benzor and not add bonus abilities. The last thing does not happen, but brings up the dialog and the options to set both race and subrace instead.

The idea about letting the faction script detect the race is really a good idea, although I don't know how to set the correct spawning point once the race is detected. But I have not looked at the script yet and as I mentioned before, I'm new with this.

I'm going to see if I can find out what script is doing what and how I can change it to work as it should again.

Again my thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Should be just a matter of switching GetSubrace to GetRacialType in the script & then disabling all of the "artifical" bonuses those races get.
HEATSTROKE

September 29, 2009, 05:04:10 PM
Reply #12

Wow, my brain hurts.
I have been looking through scripts trying to find what is happening where but no luck so far. This is far more complicated than I hoped.
The desired behavior is that Nordock's subrace system no longer gives any boni to abilities and such since PRC handles this in a far better way. I also want the scripts check for the player's race (like DM Heartstroke suggested) instead of subrace and set factions and spawning point accordingly. But I have no idea how to do this.

If anyone has any (hands-on and scripting n00b compatible) suggestions or hints they are much appreciated.

September 29, 2009, 08:57:38 PM
Reply #13

DM Heartstroke

Lol

Wow, my brain hurts.
I have been looking through scripts trying to find what is happening where but no luck so far. This is far more complicated than I hoped.
The desired behavior is that Nordock's subrace system no longer gives any boni to abilities and such since PRC handles this in a far better way. I also want the scripts check for the player's race (like DM Heartstroke suggested) instead of subrace and set factions and spawning point accordingly. But I have no idea how to do this.

If anyone has any (hands-on and scripting n00b compatible) suggestions or hints they are much appreciated.

By any chance did you try my text search suggestion above?  If you did & you still can't figure out where the bonuses are coming from you can 7zip & send the module to dmheatstroke(at)athasreborn(dot)com.  Not saying I'll fix it for you, but I will tell you what script is calling the racial bonuses.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:59:05 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

September 30, 2009, 08:50:35 AM
Reply #14

The PRC racial constants are in prc_racial_const.nss in the include hak. You would just need to use GetRacialType() where you are currently using GetSubrace() and compare against the race constants instead of matching strings (the subrace is a string, the races are an integer than corresponds to the race's line in racialtypes.2da).