Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Hellfire Warlock?  (Read 14324 times)

February 14, 2010, 08:41:40 AM

PRC could use more prestige classses for the warlock. Does NWN2's Hellfire Warlock have a chance of getting emulated into the NWN PRC?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3
http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Hellfire_Warlock

February 14, 2010, 02:53:41 PM
Reply #1

It's really not worth it, since it's only a 3 level class; there are other classes that we could do that would benefit the Warlock more.

February 15, 2010, 11:43:52 AM
Reply #2

Makes sense. Other PrC's are good too, anything to spice up the class a bit. :)

February 17, 2010, 11:12:17 AM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Hellfire Warlock is a pretty intense boost though, despite being only three levels long. And the obvious alternate additions, Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple, have some very cool but extremely open-ended class features that I imagine would be an unholy pain to code.

Still, you'd need a way to mitigate the Con damage. Since binding and incarnum (the two primary pnp methods) aren't around, I'm not sure how useful it'd be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:11:36 PM by Raza »

February 17, 2010, 04:03:56 PM
Reply #4
  • Associate
    • View Profile

The PRC is a very comprehensive re-magining of NWN, but since the introduction of the warlock, I have thought that one tiny hole in the existing design was the absence of any prestige class options.  It would be nice if warlocks had at least one option.

From another thread on this forum Eldritch Theurge (Warlock-Arcane caster blend) and Eldritch Disciple (Warlock-Clerical caster blend) were brought to my attention.  Apparently, they work on somewhat the same principle as a mystic theurge  prestige class already in the PRC, so that a character could advance invocation levels and levels in some other casting type concurrently.  If anyone involved with the PRC is entertaining the idea of working on warlock prestige class options, one or both of those might be good choices.

February 18, 2010, 04:12:32 AM
Reply #5
    • View Profile

So far we have 4 prestige classes that warlock (and dragon fire adept) can choose:
[ulist=disc]Acolyte of the Skin
Disciple of Asmodeus
Enlightened Fist
Maester[/ulist]
Those classes will add bonus caster level for invocations.

I would love to have Eldritch Disciple and Eldritch Theurge as well, but I'm already working on something...

February 18, 2010, 04:35:00 AM
Reply #6

I didn't realize Warlocks are considered arcane casters. This opens up some new possibilities for me.

How does that work out with the PrC requirements? For Acolyte of the Skin there you have to be able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells. Any invocaction that counts as a 3rd level arcane spell will do?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:37:51 AM by minigrover »

February 18, 2010, 03:26:35 PM
Reply #7
  • Associate
    • View Profile

Quote from: xwarren

So far we have 4 prestige classes that warlock (and dragon fire adept) can choose:
[ulist=disc]Acolyte of the Skin
Disciple of Asmodeus
Enlightened Fist
Maester[/ulist]
Those classes will add bonus caster level for invocations.

I would love to have Eldritch Disciple and Eldritch Theurge as well, but I'm already working on something...

It is good to know that some arcane prestige classes will work for warlocks and dragonfire adepts, but now I am confused.  If a warlock can enter some classes that require a particular caster level, then why not all?  Is the difference an issue of compliance with PNP or with the way the classes were constructed?  It would have seemed logical that if invocation level can substitute for acrane spell level in one place, it ought to be able to in another.  

I'm intriguied that you are working on something else.  I can hardly wait to see what new  addition  you have planned.

NWN1 with the PRC added is one of the most, perhaps the most, complex gaming experiences out there.   The range of options available to players is beyond belief.  It is too bad that so few module designers have seen the potential.

February 19, 2010, 10:01:06 AM
Reply #8
    • View Profile

The rules for warlocks & arcane prestige classes were described in 'Complete Arcane'. The warlock is considered arcane caster, but doesn't cast spells-  so if a prestige class requires particular arcane spell level, warlock can't enter it. He can only enter classes that require certain arcane caster level.

I don't know why some classes have requirements changed from caster level to spell level. Probably it was easier to implement them that way. But it's not a big problem since those classes do work with warlocks, as they should.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:02:18 AM by xwarren »

February 23, 2010, 01:04:31 PM
Reply #9
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Question. Would any other prc that advances arcane casting advance warlock, if the prerequisites where somehow met through a third class, or I cleared them by editing the related 2da?  Or did you implement warlock advancement separately, specifically for those PrCs you realised they'd be able to get into?

February 23, 2010, 02:15:47 PM
Reply #10
    • View Profile

PrC's for warlock are coded separately. You would have to edit inv_inc_invfunc.nss, add new classes to GetInvocationPRCLevels() function and than recompile all PRC scripts to make your changes work. No shortcuts, sorry.

February 23, 2010, 03:55:37 PM
Reply #11
  • Adept
    • View Profile

That's alright, I did pretty much just that to change the practised spellcaster feats. Sounds like a matter of minutes. Thanks for the info.

Did you stick to PnP in that advancing warlock invocations implies full eldritch blast progression, but advancing DA gives you only the spell-like invocations and not the breath?

April 20, 2010, 06:09:38 PM
Reply #12
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

April 20, 2010, 06:34:42 PM
Reply #13
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Weird,,,I just noticed that a lot of these classes that warlock qualifies for say "spells or spell like abilities". In PNP would that mean that races with spell like abilities, or PRC's like Disciple of Mephistopheles (fire shield) would qualify for some of these classes? that might open up some interesting build possibilities...