Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: AOE Spells  (Read 4148 times)

March 07, 2010, 02:45:21 PM

Is there any way to modify Cloudkill & Incendiary Cloud to move away from the caster @ 10' / round per the spell description?
HEATSTROKE

March 09, 2010, 04:18:01 PM
Reply #1
  • Adept
    • View Profile

possible, but difficult:

1) you would have to create different AoEs in vfx_persistent.2da with radius 10', 20', 30' 40' etc.
2) you'd have to modify the AoE-onheartbeat script to destroy the current aoe and activate the next aoe with 10' larger radius
3) you'd have to take care to carry over any spell parameters (dc, metamagic, penetration, casterlevel, location...) from one aoe to the next
4) by the time you destroy the old aoe and create a new (larger) one the association between effects applied by the aoe and the "correct" aoe spellid might be lost. You'd have to take that into account when removing aoe effects (for instance onexit).

I thought about a similar system to implement metamagic enlarge or casterlevel dependent aoe-sizes. Such a system would use some generic aoes of different sizes. The problem with that is, that one needs a generic set of areas (with different sizes) for each different appearance (at least thats my current understanding). Meaning the implementation of metamagic enlarge would require a large nr of "generic" aoes (different sizes, different appearances)

March 09, 2010, 08:41:01 PM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://deepingdale.proboards.com/index.cgi?

make mister effect a slow moving critter with a aura for my duct tape suggestion!

March 10, 2010, 09:45:26 AM
Reply #3

Quote from: motu99

possible, but difficult:

1) you would have to create different AoEs in vfx_persistent.2da with radius 10', 20', 30' 40' etc.
2) you'd have to modify the AoE-onheartbeat script to destroy the current aoe and activate the next aoe with 10' larger radius
3) you'd have to take care to carry over any spell parameters (dc, metamagic, penetration, casterlevel, location...) from one aoe to the next
4) by the time you destroy the old aoe and create a new (larger) one the association between effects applied by the aoe and the "correct" aoe spellid might be lost. You'd have to take that into account when removing aoe effects (for instance onexit).

I thought about a similar system to implement metamagic enlarge or casterlevel dependent aoe-sizes. Such a system would use some generic aoes of different sizes. The problem with that is, that one needs a generic set of areas (with different sizes) for each different appearance (at least thats my current understanding). Meaning the implementation of metamagic enlarge would require a large nr of "generic" aoes (different sizes, different appearances)

Oh yeah, I had forgot that the AOEs really aren't dynamic.
HEATSTROKE

March 10, 2010, 09:50:02 AM
Reply #4

Quote from: dsabrae

make mister effect a slow moving critter with a aura for my duct tape suggestion!

I'll have to look into that.  I should be able to use the standard spell as the aura scripts.
HEATSTROKE