Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: PnP Shifter change -- for PRC 3.4?  (Read 15639 times)

October 14, 2010, 07:28:39 AM
  • Developer
    • View Profile

I've got a PnP Shifter change that I'm currently testing that would be cool to get into the 3.4 release if possible. It uses NWNX, if installed, to set the STR, DEX, and CON of the PC to that of the new shape when shifting. This eliminates the need for all the hacks that have been used for simulating really large stat boosts in spite of the +12 ability bonus cap.

If my testing works out, I can post the changes in a couple of days, perhaps.

October 14, 2010, 10:29:17 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Quote from: CapnQ

I've got a PnP Shifter change that I'm currently testing that would be cool to get into the 3.4 release if possible. It uses NWNX, if installed, to set the STR, DEX, and CON of the PC to that of the new shape when shifting. This eliminates the need for all the hacks that have been used for simulating really large stat boosts in spite of the +12 ability bonus cap.

Cool deal!!! I was thinking about something like that myself. Do you use NWNX_funcs?

October 14, 2010, 03:03:18 PM
Reply #2
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: xwarren

Cool deal!!! I was thinking about something like that myself. Do you use NWNX_funcs?

Yes.

October 15, 2010, 12:46:25 AM
Reply #3

Hope I don't sound ungrateful for this, it's really quite the opposite.

Just wondering what sort of impact this PnP-Shifter change would have upon users who don't play multiplayer (and thus likely don't know the first thing about NWNX (what it is, how to use it, where to get it, etc) >_>; -coughlikemecough- xD). It certainly sounds like a great way to bypass the engine limitations, though! Should work great for all the PW folks.

Will the class still function as it currently does in the absence of NWNX magic?

I'm probably just being paranoid, sorry if that's the case.

October 15, 2010, 07:08:19 AM
Reply #4
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: heimdallw32

Hope I don't sound ungrateful for this, it's really quite the opposite.

Just wondering what sort of impact this PnP-Shifter change would have upon users who don't play multiplayer (and thus likely don't know the first thing about NWNX (what it is, how to use it, where to get it, etc) >_>; -coughlikemecough- xD). It certainly sounds like a great way to bypass the engine limitations, though! Should work great for all the PW folks.

Will the class still function as it currently does in the absence of NWNX magic?

I'm probably just being paranoid, sorry if that's the case.

No worries: for single player, it will work exactly the same as before. I wouldn't think of breaking that; for one thing, that's mostly how I play myself.

October 18, 2010, 01:53:39 PM
Reply #5
  • Developer
    • View Profile

For the most part this is working great, but my posting is delayed for a bit because I have one issue to deal with before it's ready and I've gotten side-tracked into working on several other unrelated issues that have plagued me for a long time and I finally understood. Some are Shifter-only and I'll just work on those. At least one may be PRC-wide, so I'll post details in another thread.

October 26, 2010, 03:14:03 PM
Reply #6
  • Developer
    • View Profile

For the most part this is working great, but my posting is delayed for a bit because I have one issue to deal with before it's ready and I've gotten side-tracked into working on several other unrelated issues that have plagued me for a long time and I finally understood. Some are Shifter-only and I'll just work on those. At least one may be PRC-wide, so I'll post details in another thread.

My patch is here: https://0C0ZKNFMVHWAREQZT5G2@s3.amazonaws.com/NWN/nwn_patch.diff

What it does:
* Uses NWNX, if installed, to change STR, DEX, CON to that of shape assumed
* Temporary HP and Harmless invisibility work again
* Shaman Spirit Sight and Spirits Favour bonuses work correctly.
* Effect icons for effects applied by shifting show up again

October 26, 2010, 06:34:31 PM
Reply #7

What it does:

Good job & thanks!
HEATSTROKE

October 26, 2010, 07:05:23 PM
Reply #8
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

What it does:

Good job & thanks!

You're welcome. I'd like to say that, other than having to run NWServer even for single player games in order to get NWNX, this is the way the Shifter class was meant to be. It's great being able to play it without the workarounds at last.

October 27, 2010, 09:26:47 AM
Reply #9
    • View Profile

What it does:

Thank you  :D

Can't wait to test it...

January 28, 2012, 04:41:02 PM
Reply #10
  • Adept
    • View Profile

How do I use this patch?
I download and installed NWNX and the nwnxfunctions.
Used the tool set to change the modules. Now I'm stuck!

:'(

January 28, 2012, 04:50:43 PM
Reply #11

How do I use this patch?
I download and installed NWNX and the nwnxfunctions.
Used the tool set to change the modules. Now I'm stuck!

:'(

Pretty sure it's already in PRC 3.5.
HEATSTROKE

January 28, 2012, 05:46:52 PM
Reply #12
  • Adept
    • View Profile

I just tried to change into a hammerhead shark (str26) but it capped at 22 (base str is 10).
So, it isn't working.
Well, to be honestI don't really know how to use the NWNX, maybe that's the problem.

=(

January 28, 2012, 10:16:42 PM
Reply #13

I just tried to change into a hammerhead shark (str26) but it capped at 22 (base str is 10).
So, it isn't working.
Well, to be honestI don't really know how to use the NWNX, maybe that's the problem.

=(

If you aren't running the dedicated server, you aren't running NWNx2.  Also, you can't mod an ability by more than 12 points.  I think NWNx2 gets around this limitation, so it sounds like you may not have it set up properly.

Look at HOWTO #4 for more info on setting up a server.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:19:08 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

January 29, 2012, 07:50:24 AM
Reply #14
  • Developer
    • View Profile

So, it isn't working.

=(

If you aren't running the dedicated server, you aren't running NWNx2.  Also, you can't mod an ability by more than 12 points.  I think NWNx2 gets around this limitation, so it sounds like you may not have it set up properly.

Look at HOWTO #4 for more info on setting up a server.

Everything xwarren says is correct. I would like to point out one more thing, though: although your strength is capped at 22, the PNP Shifter code goes to great lengths to simulate a greater strength increase when NWNx2 isn't running. For instance, it increases your attack bonus, damage bonus, strength based skills, and so on, as close as it can to what they would be if you had gotten the full increase. So you're getting many of the benefits of a greater strength increase even now.