Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Warlock/pixie help  (Read 8856 times)

October 30, 2010, 04:40:28 AM
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Ok,im completely new too prc classes etc,but as ive now found it im in love...

But I need help!Imagine a Pixie[feypact] warlock,now help me build it for a PW, needs too be playable/surviveable at early lvls....if solo too .

Was thinking of starting with :
Luck of heroes.
Invs summon swarm and umm name escapes me the concealability one[see...said i was a noob!]
Not sure wether too go for elditch glaive,/spear or spider shape for next lvl?

Any advice appreciated :)

October 30, 2010, 11:46:31 AM
Reply #1

Warlock is a great class, becausde it got no limit to its invocations uses in a day, so you can spam them all the day, without any worries:
with Pixie race, you got bonus to dex (8) for your ranged touch rates "Eldritch Blast" and cha (6) for DC of some of your invocations:
without much details, the invocations i always try to get are:

Lest ones:
--Beguiling Influence => for social PW or modules
--*Eldritch Spear => gives additional range to your e.blast, helps at first lvls

lesser ones:
--*The Dead Walk=> first summon spell, spammable !! a must at first lvls xD they can tank for you as wel as deal dmg !!
--*Voidsense => make you able to see in the dark as in the day, along with seeing any invisible creature !!
--Walk Unseen => invisble at wish ... won't need it with a pixie, since it gots inv at will too
--*Eldritch Chain => kind of a nice aoe
--Mask of Flesh => for fun !!

Greater ones:
--*Wall of Perilous Flame => THE skill (go invisble, cast a lot of this flamewall between you and them, then attack them ..they never reach you alive xD)
--*Chilling Tentacles => epic for crowd control, root anything that walks on it ..spammable as well, so can cast a lot of them and you're sure to catch them all ... did i say it deals cold dmg ?!
--*Devour Magic=> to disipate your invocations once you cleaned the area !!

Dark ones:
--*Binding Blast => stun anything you hit with your e.blast (if it's not immune to mind affecting spells)
--*Path of Shadow=> teleport + heal and spammable ..can break stories in few modules tho xD

(* = more important)
and that's it !!!

October 30, 2010, 01:22:24 PM
Reply #2
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Excellant advice!...the wall of flame one Id never have thought of!

Thanks,this will help lots!!!

evil cackle!!

October 30, 2010, 02:21:28 PM
Reply #3
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Oh one quick question !what feats work with warlock?!   does extend spell etc work? :0

October 30, 2010, 03:32:05 PM
Reply #4

no, i think metamagic feats don't work for invocations. (spell pentration works tho)
Personally always went with those feats:
--weapon focus ray => adds +1 to hit with your e.blast
--craft weapon and armors => at lvl  12 you get "Imbue Item". it allows you to make ANY weapon you want, almost !! basically, when crafting, you usually need to have specific spells for specific weapons you're making etc .. with this feat, you can simulate the spells as if you had them.
--extra invocations => you'll want to learn many invocations, especially the ones you'll want to have access to the epic feats after 20. check the manual for:
Lord of All Essences
Master of the Elements
Morpheme Savant
Paragon Visionary
Shadowmaster
Eldritch Sculptor

October 30, 2010, 04:36:10 PM
Reply #5
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Right,gotcha!...thanks again! :D

November 01, 2010, 09:10:04 AM
Reply #6

Just to help out, no, metamagic feats do not work with invocations (because invocations are not 'spells', they're 'spell-like abilities' ). Spell Penetration works for both invocations and your eldritch blast, so that line of feats is valuable (since spell resistance and touch AC are the only things that can prevent your blast from damaging a foe.) Oh, and Vitriolic Blast (Eldritch Essense) is handy because of this, since it deals acid damage that ignores spell resistance.

Weapon Focus: Ray does help quite a bit. Skill Focus: Use Magic Device (and its epic counterpart) can potentially be useful if you plan on making use of UMD frequently, and is especially helpful if you plan on being a crafting warlock (yes, all crafting feats work with warlocks. The Imbue Item feat has details on how to use them with a warlock character. You just need to pass the UMD check and have the required xp and gold. And alignment, in some cases.)

I agree on taking the Extra Invocation feats, very handy if you're looking to qualify for one or more of the epic warlock feats. Keep in mind you need to stay in light armor or cloth if you want to use your invocations without spell failure. Warlocks work well when teamed with a melee-type to take hits for them while they blow things apart from a distance (although Eldritch Doom can be handy when surrounded.)

Hope that's helpful. Have fun shooting magic at stuff!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:12:58 AM by heimdallw32 »

November 04, 2010, 11:56:06 AM
Reply #7
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Forgot too say thanks for all the above!,Ta everybody ,major help! :D

December 08, 2010, 12:18:28 PM
Reply #8
  • Jr. Associate
    • View Profile

Ok,thanks too all the help and advice here ,she,s coming along nicely...so im plotting for the future! :)

Just too make it clear,because of the way its set up with extra inv,s only one lvl lower etc...is there a maximum of three Dark,[or top],Invocations known?

Im thinking of going :Utterdark...path of shadow...word of changing.

Any thoughts?

December 11, 2010, 10:58:01 PM
Reply #9

a late answer, but in case you're still wondering ... at epic lvls you get access to epic extra invocations feats that allow you to choose even dark invocations as bonus , so  you cna get ven more than 5/6 dark invocations if you wanted ... but again, you will want to focus more on the invocations (lesser, least, greater) that are required for certain epic warlock feats ...