Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Saves  (Read 3796 times)

January 08, 2011, 05:57:58 AM

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding something fairly.. elementary.

Many spells, invocations, etc. say that, in order for the target to survive or negate part of the effects, he must make a fortitude/will/reflex save. Sometimes the nature of the DC is explained, for example 1/2 caster level + wisdom modifier, or something similar.

Most of the time it is not. When the description simply says "enemy must make a will save, or become <effect>" and nothing else, what should I assume about the DC of this save? Is it Caster level? Caster's own will/fortitude/reflex?  Charisma/Int/Dex/Wisdom  modifier?

January 08, 2011, 06:56:33 AM
Reply #1
    • View Profile

Quote from: minigrover

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding something fairly.. elementary.

Many spells, invocations, etc. say that, in order for the target to survive or negate part of the effects, he must make a fortitude/will/reflex save. Sometimes the nature of the DC is explained, for example 1/2 caster level + wisdom modifier, or something similar.

Most of the time it is not. When the description simply says "enemy must make a will save, or become <effect>" and nothing else, what should I assume about the DC of this save? Is it Caster level? Caster's own will/fortitude/reflex?  Charisma/Int/Dex/Wisdom  modifier?

From the SRD:
[size=16]Saving Throw Difficulty Class[/size]

Found it under Spell Descriptions
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:57:21 AM by xwarren »

January 08, 2011, 07:30:26 AM
Reply #2

Thanks. :)

It's funny, before the PRC I just took most of the technical details for granted. I got high level & high attributes, so spells just worked. It's the PRC that made me think a lot more about prestige classes, game mechanics, D&D lore.. I've even sought out source books to learn more about classes, feats and spells (even though they weren't always in the PRC, they're just interesting to read).