Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Shifter weapon  (Read 11354 times)

February 01, 2011, 02:48:59 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Which weapon should I focus in when going as a shifter. Unarmed, creature or something else?

February 01, 2011, 06:39:17 AM
Reply #1

I would guess creature, unless you turn into something that carries a weapon?

February 01, 2011, 09:05:29 AM
Reply #2
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: minigrover

I would guess creature, unless you turn into something that carries a weapon?

Yeah if they are carrying a weapon its obvious, if they arent then how could I tell? Which monsters benefit from creature and which benefit from unarmed?

February 01, 2011, 10:59:02 AM
Reply #3

AFAIK all are creature. But then I could be horribly wrong.

February 01, 2011, 03:02:35 PM
Reply #4
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: Findus

Which weapon should I focus in when going as a shifter. Unarmed, creature or something else?

PnP Shifter or Bioware Shifter?

February 01, 2011, 07:07:29 PM
Reply #5

You are correct sir.
HEATSTROKE

February 02, 2011, 05:14:46 AM
Reply #6
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: DM Heatstroke

You are correct sir.

Great. Then I know what to go for, thanks.

February 02, 2011, 02:56:24 PM
Reply #7

I've checked this out empirically. Based on the combat  feedback:
Your shifted crit range is based on Unarmed, AB on Creature (checked with Wpn.Focus),
and (I believe) damage is Creature.

Related(, and slightly 'duh'):
Shifted + Unarmed = Creature attacks.
Shifted + Unarmed + Shield = Unarmed attacks. (1d3 (medium) + Strmod)
Shifted + Weapon (+ Shield) = Weapon attacks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:57:22 PM by Sing_In_Silence »

February 02, 2011, 07:17:18 PM
Reply #8
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Quote from: Sing_In_Silence

Your shifted crit range is based on Unarmed, AB on Creature (checked with Wpn.Focus),

Is this the same for both shifter and shifter pnp?

February 03, 2011, 05:50:53 AM
Reply #9

I tried the devastating critical feat (unarmed) with the natural attacks of some shifter (pnp) shapes and it didn't work. I guess it would be nice if we could collect info like this here and someone would add it to the manual.
Usually, I would say it's okay to just "try it yourself" but considering the discrepancies between character sheet/combat log/what actually happens, I think it would be good to have information like this in the manual.

February 03, 2011, 11:05:23 AM
Reply #10
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: Mindflayer

I tried the devastating critical feat (unarmed) with the natural attacks of some shifter (pnp) shapes and it didn't work. I guess it would be nice if we could collect info like this here and someone would add it to the manual.
Usually, I would say it's okay to just "try it yourself" but considering the discrepancies between character sheet/combat log/what actually happens, I think it would be good to have information like this in the manual.

Did you try Devastating Critical (creature)? I'm not sure if it's possible, since I never tried, but I think that's what you would need for most of the shifted forms.

It would be pretty easy to change PnP Shifter so that, when you shift, it checks if you have Improved Critical (unarmed), Devastating Critical (unarmed), Weapon Focus (unarmed), etc., and adds the corresponding creature weapon feats. Is that a reasonable thing to do? I can't find the details right now, but I remember a Bioware precedent--they made at least one of the unarmed feats apply to creature weapons as well, if I remember correctly.

February 03, 2011, 01:46:25 PM
Reply #11

No, I didn't try that because nwn crashed randomly and I figured (and was lazy) that if the unarmed version doesn't work, that one (it exists http://www.nwnprc.com//nwn/english/content/class_epic_feats/532.html by the way) would.

I like the idea.

February 03, 2011, 02:24:04 PM
Reply #12
  • Adept
    • View Profile

It would make the most sense if it checked for unarmed or creature, since you either train to use claws and attack good with them or learn to karatechop like bruce lee. Either of them should work on most creature forms. Also it would make sense if there was some kind of monk/shifter synergy since monk seems to improve upon the "soul" and use of your shape while shifter changes the shape to increase the effectiveness of the form your using.

February 03, 2011, 08:34:42 PM
Reply #13
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Quote from: CapnQ

It would be pretty easy to change PnP Shifter so that, when you shift, it checks if you have Improved Critical (unarmed), Devastating Critical (unarmed), Weapon Focus (unarmed), etc., and adds the corresponding creature weapon feats.

I've done this, as well as the reverse, as suggested by Findus (I.e., check for creature weapon feats and add corresponding unarmed feats). Unless there are objections, I'll include it in my next patch, which I should submit tomorrow. I just need to do a little testing of some other changes first.

February 14, 2011, 03:10:39 PM
Reply #14

I was talking about the PnP shifter, sorry for not making that clear.
I'd assumed you were as well. My bad.

Haven't checked Dev Crit (Since shifted form doesn't count towards stat reqs, and, as a Shifter, I ignore the physical stats -> don't qualify).